Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Re: Anime, comics and my book

  • Marc Vun Kannon
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 1, 2005
      I started collecting about 30 years ago, did it for a long time, gave it up when the price got too high and so did the bloodshed. I bought a number of limited series, the first issues of new series, for a while after. Not any more.

      Matt <gauvaine@...> wrote: I still think Spiderman, X-men, and Detective Comics were my
      favorites. I have Preacher, Lobo, Green Arrow, the Nam, etc.
      Everything that was hot at one time or another. Remember Powerpack
      or the Outsiders? All had their moment, if only briefly.

      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, excelsior34
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > So what are you top three favorite comic series and what kind of
      > novels do you read?
      >
      > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, karl barnes
      > <priestvyrce@y...> wrote:
      > >

      > > I,too, am a big comic book reader and to add to Matt's post; I
      > would spend WAY too much on them. I'm cutting back, but there was
      > time that I was getting at least 80 books a month(yes, I HAVE NO
      > LIFE!). As to anime, I can take it or leave it. Some of it is so
      > predictable that I can't watch it.

      Marc Vun Kannon

      http://www.marcvunkannon.com

      Unbinding the Stone--Making lemonade from fantasy lemons
      Coming in October, 2005--A Warrior Made.

    • Kristen
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 2, 2005
        My husband And i actualy own a comic book shop. I personaly read a
        series called elf quest, and a few other off fiction type comics. We
        both love anime. Vampire hunter d was actualy the first one we watched
        together. and we watch adult swim all the time. inuyasha is my favorit
        current series.
        Kristen

        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > Hey all just joined and looks like there are some great discussions
        > going on. Anyone into anime or comics? Was wondering what you read.
        > dig Vampire Hunter D and X, just starting my collection.
        >
        > On the comic side, I am currently collecting all things Batman. My
        > first novel comes out in December, "A Liar's Tale."

      • excelsior34
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 2, 2005
          Where is the shop located?

          --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Kristen"

          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 2, 2005
            Were in Mesquite TX. Why Is there something your looking For
            *wink* :}
            Actualy were only 7 months old, and not doing to well, but a lot of
            that had to do with the hurricains and outragouse gas prices.
            Kristen

            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 6, 2005
              Cool, yeah I am trying to find as much Batman stuff as I can. Do you
              guys carry any back issues, and do you only sell comics?

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 7, 2005
                Yes we have ton's of back issues. Close to 20,000. Our batman issues
                start at #253 and up through around 600. Detective comics start at
                #243. and are up to #800ish. We also have many of the other batman
                off shoots, Batman and robin, nightwing, batman versues predator,
                gotham city, and many others.
                Kristen

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > Cool, yeah I am trying to find as much Batman stuff as I can. Do
                you
                > guys carry any back issues, and do you only sell comics?
                >
                > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Kristen"
                > <duststarr@s...> wrote:
                > >
                > > My husband And i actualy own a comic book shop. I personaly read
                > > series called elf quest, and a few other off fiction type comics.
                > We
                > > both love anime. Vampire hunter d was actualy the first one we
                > watched
                > > together. and we watch adult swim all the time. inuyasha is my
                > favorit
                > > current series.
                > > Kristen
                > >
                > > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, excelsior34
                > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hey all just joined and looks like there are some great
                > discussions
                > > > going on. Anyone into anime or comics? Was wondering what you
                > read.
                > > > dig Vampire Hunter D and X, just starting my collection.
                > > >
                > > > On the comic side, I am currently collecting all things Batman.
                > My
                > > > first novel comes out in December, "A Liar's Tale."

              • Herod Antipas
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 7, 2005
                  I know this is somewhat off topic but I really mean this as a serious
                  question:

                  It seems like alot of anime, some of which is ostensibly for kids, is
                  rather sexualized. I recenlt watched Kiki's Delivery Service with my
                  5 year old, who adored it. Kiki is a 13 year old witch who moves to a
                  new town to find her fortune. The funny part was, the character wears
                  a dress throughout the movie, and is constantly showing her
                  underwear. Now I know that if a person really didi fly around on a
                  broom in a medium length dress, that would happen, but the animators
                  seemed to be going out of their way to do this at every opportunity,
                  whereas American animators would have kept it to a minimum just
                  because it isn't seemly to show alot of 13-year-old girls underwear.
                  I wasn't upset, and my daughter didin't mind, but I'm just really
                  curious. Is this some cultural difference between the US and Japan?
                  Are they being realistic and just showing what things would look like,
                  or are they being deliberately titilating?
                • karl barnes
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 7, 2005
                    Yeah, alot of anime comes off as soft core with tantilizing glances of shapely thighs and peeks at under-panties. Inuyasha(a regular on Adult Swim on the Carttoon Network) has a main female character(can't spell the name right,but it starts with a K) from modern times is dressed in a super skimpy school uniform throughout the series. And there are some anime that ARE very soft core ie show nudity etc ; where the main characters are very young(school girls).

                    I'm of the thought of why don't some of these anime use older characters and I'm sure that there are some. I've just haven't seen many that do.

                    Herod Antipas <antippas@...> wrote:
[...]

                    Fantasy science fiction magazine Fantasy science fiction Science fiction movies Fantasy game Writing science fiction Science fiction

                  • excelsior34
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 7, 2005
                      Animation is a serious film genre in Japan. Here we still consider
                      it a kiddie genre. Hollywood now is ripping it off big time a la the
                      Matrix.

                      Also many times when Cartoon Network gets stuff it has been edited,
                      and that is pathetic. Other times characters are added to make it
                      appealing to kids here, i.e. Battle of the Planets.

                      <priestvyrce@y...> wrote:

                      > Yeah, alot of anime comes off as soft core with tantilizing
                      glances of shapely thighs and peeks at under-panties. Inuyasha(a
                      regular on Adult Swim on the Carttoon Network) has a main female
                      character(can't spell the name right,but it starts with a K) from
                      modern times is dressed in a super skimpy school uniform throughout
                      the series. And there are some anime that ARE very soft core ie show
                      nudity etc ; where the main characters are very young(school girls).

                      > I'm of the thought of why don't some of these anime use older
                      characters and I'm sure that there are some. I've just haven't seen
                      many that do.

                      > Herod Antipas <antippas@h...> wrote:
                      > I know this is somewhat off topic but I really mean this as a
                      serious
                      > question:
                      >
                      > It seems like alot of anime, some of which is ostensibly for kids,
                      is
                      > rather sexualized. I recenlt watched Kiki's Delivery Service with
                      my
                      > 5 year old, who adored it. Kiki is a 13 year old witch who moves
                      to a
                      > new town to find her fortune. The funny part was, the character
                      wears
                      > a dress throughout the movie, and is constantly showing her
                      > underwear. Now I know that if a person really didi fly around on
                      > broom in a medium length dress, that would happen, but the
                      animators
                      > seemed to be going out of their way to do this at every
                      opportunity,
                      > whereas American animators would have kept it to a minimum just
                      > because it isn't seemly to show alot of 13-year-old girls
                      underwear.
                      > I wasn't upset, and my daughter didin't mind, but I'm just really
                      > curious. Is this some cultural difference between the US and
                      Japan?
                      > Are they being realistic and just showing what things would look
                      like,
                      > or are they being deliberately titilating?

                      > Fantasy science fiction magazine Fantasy science
                      fiction Science fiction movies Fantasy game Writing science
                      fiction Science fiction

                      Service.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 7, 2005
                        As Wired Magazine likes to say, "Japanese Schoolgirl siting." Anime
                        and manga are very sexualized, very adult. Not all of it, but i'd
                        say 80 percent. Violent, too, of course. But Japanese males have an
                        obsession with young girls and sexual innuendo, especially in anime.
                        It's a cultural thing. Sometimes it can be very creepy.

                        Matt

                        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Herod Antipas"

                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 7, 2005
                          I thats just how thier scociety is. such soft core and even nude
                          upper female body parts are totaly acceptable. If you ever really
                          watch a lot of the cartoon shows, american animators have had to
                          color in stuff to make it acceptable to our scociety. It's just a
                          taboo thing. And i thinks it's technicaly a sublimnal way to keep
                          their women lower than men to.
                          Kristen

                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 7, 2005
                            And have you ever noticed that the japanese characters look cacasion,
                            and foregners look japanese in many of the series??
                            Kristen

                          • avalmistress@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 7, 2005
                              YEA.........and the characters all have really BIG big eyes and pointy dainty noses!!!

                              <priestvyrce@y...> wrote:

                              > Yeah, alot of anime comes off as soft core with tantilizing
                              glances of shapely thighs and peeks at under-panties. Inuyasha(a
                              regular on Adult Swim on the Carttoon Network) has a main female
                              character(can't spell the name right,but it starts with a K) from
                              modern times is dressed in a super skimpy school uniform throughout
                              the series. And there are some anime that ARE very soft core ie show
                              nudity etc ; where the main characters are very young(school girls).

                              > I'm of the thought of why don't some of these anime use older
                              characters and I'm sure that there are some. I've just haven't seen
                              many that do.

                              > Herod Antipas <antippas@h...> wrote:
                              > I know this is somewhat off topic but I really mean this as a
                              serious
                              > question:
                              >
                              > It seems like alot of anime, some of which is ostensibly for kids,
                              is
                              > rather sexualized. I recenlt watched Kiki's Delivery Service with
                              my
                              > 5 year old, who adored it. Kiki is a 13 year old witch who moves
                              to a
                              > new town to find her fortune. The funny part was, the character
                              wears
                              > a dress throughout the movie, and is constantly showing her
                              > underwear. Now I know that if a person really didi fly around on a
                              > broom in a medium length dress, that would happen, but the
                              animators
                              > seemed to be going out of their way to do this at every
                              opportunity,
                              > whereas American animators would have kept it to a minimum just
                              > because it isn't seemly to show alot of 13-year-old girls
                              underwear.
                              > I wasn't upset, and my daughter didin't mind, but I'm just really
                              > curious. Is this some cultural difference between the US and
                              Japan?
                              > Are they being realistic and just showing what things would look
                              like,
                              > or are they being deliberately titilating?

                              > Fantasy science fiction magazine Fantasy science
                              fiction Science fiction movies Fantasy game Writing science
                              fiction Science fiction

                              Service.

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Herod Antipas
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 7, 2005
                                --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <gauvaine@y...>
                                wrote:

                                > As Wired Magazine likes to say, "Japanese Schoolgirl siting." Anime
                                > and manga are very sexualized, very adult. Not all of it, but i'd
                                > say 80 percent. Violent, too, of course. But Japanese males have an
                                > obsession with young girls and sexual innuendo, especially in anime.
                                > It's a cultural thing. Sometimes it can be very creepy.
                                >
                                > Matt

                                OK I understand that for the stuff that is for adults, but Kiki's
                                delivery service was clearly marketed at kids, at least in the US and
                                has a gentle, juvenile theme throughout. It seems like the
                                sexualization of schoolgirls seeps over from the adult oriented anime
                                or something.
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 7, 2005
                                  That is because not all Anime was designed for kids...Much of it was
                                  for adults. Of course I am talking about the original Anime..not the
                                  americanized versions of japanese cartoons. I used to love "Tank
                                  Police". They drove around in tanks that have huge penis-shaped
                                  ammunition. "Demon Overlord", definitely NOT for kids. It was very
                                  sexually graphic and completely adult in nature. Just be cautious
                                  and view the anime before your children get ahold of it. You might
                                  actually pick up one that is too hot to handle. :-)

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 7, 2005
                                    No it is Hollywoodized....Most anime I see on tv here in teh
                                    us ...is pretty poor.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 8, 2005
                                      I don't think they can get away from it. It seeps into everything
                                      they do, even the kiddie shows we get on cartoon network like
                                      Dragonball Z and Pokemon, etc.