Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Cursing in SF

  • Saje
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 12, 2005
      I write urban fantasy and my characters swear occasionally. I think avoiding it in that setting in particular borders on the silly and takes away from whatever level of realism you're trying to reach. Inventing cutesy cusswords smacks of network TV to me, but sometimes it works out okay. Jordan's "Blood and Ashes" and such is okay, but I'm left wondering WHY these are considered socially unacceptable phrases in the first place. Our swear words tend to deal with bodily functions and sex...without the cultural reference to make sense of them, any attempt to make other phrases come across that way is a bit...strange.
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 12, 2005
        I sometimes think that the slang of choice that is chosen for flavor
        rather than not to offend can take the reader to another place very
        subtlely.The overt F**K or whatever may come across as way
        overstated, less intellectual or a cheap attempt to familiarize or
        bond the reader to some more common level. The other thought is it
        may be the editors cutting the curse words to minimize flack from
        the ultra conservative parents ut there whose children read SF. In
        any case it would neither offend me if there were or were not curse
        words. it is a non-issue with me. I focus more on the story
        development and character traits possessed by the cast....

        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Saje" <soulsaje@c...>
        wrote:

        > I write urban fantasy and my characters swear occasionally. I
        think avoiding it in that setting in particular borders on the silly
        and takes away from whatever level of realism you're trying to
        reach. Inventing cutesy cusswords smacks of network TV to me, but
        sometimes it works out okay. Jordan's "Blood and Ashes" and such is
        okay, but I'm left wondering WHY these are considered socially
        unacceptable phrases in the first place. Our swear words tend to
        deal with bodily functions and sex...without the cultural reference
        to make sense of them, any attempt to make other phrases come across
        that way is a bit...strange.

      • Saje
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 12, 2005
          It took me a long time to actually feel comfortable using swear words, until I realized that I honestly don't care what anyone thinks of it. If it's appropriate to the character and scene, I'll put it in there.

          If people have a problem with my books, they're welcome to purchase and burn as many copies as they like.

          <eg>

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 14, 2005
            Saje, I think you hit it on the head, if it is appropriate to the
            character it is no big deal & if someone doesn't like it...well you
            are not forcing them to read it. Burning books...well I think that
            would be extreme. You could always paint a ribbon across the front
            with : *@!*&*9! inside!!!! :-)

            wrote:

            > It took me a long time to actually feel comfortable using swear
            words, until I realized that I honestly don't care what anyone
            thinks of it. If it's appropriate to the character and scene, I'll
            put it in there.

            > If people have a problem with my books, they're welcome to
            purchase and burn as many copies as they like.

            > <eg>

            Terms
            > of Service.

            of Service.

          • Saje
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 14, 2005
              It's a standing joke with me. Controversial books tend to sell VERY well... Everyone likes free publicity... <eg> And if you've ticked off enough people that they want to burn your book, they're happily publicizing your work for you without realizing it.