Book Covers

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13, 2005
      I always loved this book cover to the Hobbit and the one DKS made for
      the FOTR where they're standing outside the gates of Moria trying
      to "say friend" and enter. Which reminds me:

      What are some of your favorite, all time, book covers? And why? Did
      they make you want to buy the book, did they encompass a certain thing
      you liked about the book, or were the covers a turn off completely?

      I loved all the Thieve's World covers, the covers to Thomas Covenant
      the UnBeliever, the Conan books by REH, de Camp and Carter and the
      covers to the Apprentice Adept books by Piers Anthony, especially Blue
      Adept. I loved the original Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold! cover and
      the covers to the Shannara books, especially Elfstones, which is the
      best.

      What are your favorites?
    • Marc Vun Kannon
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 13, 2005
        The Thread that Binds the Bones. It's why I bought the book.
        Covers are the first point of impact for any book. Many covers have turned me off to books, especially the overly ornate covers of so many fantasy novels. They might be good, but I don't get past all the art. I'm not much on ornamentation for its own sake.

        Matt <gauvaine@...> wrote:
        I always loved this book cover to the Hobbit and the one DKS made for
        the FOTR where they're standing outside the gates of Moria trying
        to "say friend" and enter. Which reminds me:

        What are some of your favorite, all time, book covers? And why? Did
        they make you want to buy the book, did they encompass a certain thing
        you liked about the book, or were the covers a turn off completely?

        Marc Vun Kannon

        http://www.marcvunkannon.com

        Unbinding the Stone--Making lemonade from fantasy lemons
        Coming in October, 2005--A Warrior Made.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 13, 2005
          The Snow queen by Joan D Vinge for one

          --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <gauvaine@y...>
          wrote:
          > I always loved this book cover to the Hobbit and the one DKS made
          for
          > the FOTR where they're standing outside the gates of Moria trying
          > to "say friend" and enter. Which reminds me:
          >
          > What are some of your favorite, all time, book covers? And why?
          Did
          > they make you want to buy the book, did they encompass a certain
          thing
          > you liked about the book, or were the covers a turn off completely?
          >
          > I loved all the Thieve's World covers, the covers to Thomas
          Covenant
          > the UnBeliever, the Conan books by REH, de Camp and Carter and the
          > covers to the Apprentice Adept books by Piers Anthony, especially
          Blue
          > Adept. I loved the original Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold! cover
          and
          > the covers to the Shannara books, especially Elfstones, which is
          the
          > best.
          >
          > What are your favorites?
        • tiwatz
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22, 2005
            Two of my all time favorite covers are:

            The Quantum Rose by Catherine Asaro mainly because the artist
            actually took the description from the book when drawing the animal
            they rode on. I hate looking at a book cover where for example the
            heroine has red hair in the story, but the cover has her blonde.
            That totally sucks and just proves the artist didn't read the book.

            Night Play by Sherrilyn Kenyon It also captured the heart of the
            story, although this is more a paranormal than science fiction.

            Regina

            ---GETTING OUT ALIVE is Available at http://www.lulu.com/reginapaul
            ISBN 1-4116-2975-2
            Lulu Inc.
            Read Chapter One: http://reginapaul.bravehost.com (Updated 9/22/05)

            wrote:
            > I always loved this book cover to the Hobbit and the one DKS made
            for
            > the FOTR where they're standing outside the gates of Moria trying
            > to "say friend" and enter. Which reminds me:
            >
            > What are some of your favorite, all time, book covers? And why?
            Did
            > they make you want to buy the book, did they encompass a certain
            thing
            > you liked about the book, or were the covers a turn off completely?
            >
            > I loved all the Thieve's World covers, the covers to Thomas
            Covenant
            > the UnBeliever, the Conan books by REH, de Camp and Carter and the
            > covers to the Apprentice Adept books by Piers Anthony, especially
            Blue
            > Adept. I loved the original Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold! cover
            and
            > the covers to the Shannara books, especially Elfstones, which is
            the
            > best.
            >
            > What are your favorites?
          • swampfaye
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 12, 2013
              (Is anyone still paying attention to this list?)

              If you have any friends that are considering self publishing their book - please direct them to my kickstarter project and direct them to the 100$ donation - the illustration for a 100$ donation is more than 1/2 off a normal commission for an illustration and I promise they will be impressed with theirs and praise your name :D http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1872789691/tell-me-the-stories-of-jesus-miracle-of-loaves-and