Ilium

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
      Starting reading this and wonder if anyone else has read it and what
      did you think?
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
        This sounds familiar..who's the author? Yvette

        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <gauvaine@y...>
        wrote:
        > Starting reading this and wonder if anyone else has read it and what
        > did you think?
      • Matt Baker
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
          Dan Simmons wrote it, Y. Came out about two years ago and just recently in paperback. I have it and had been waiting for it to come out. The next one in the duology, called Olympos, is out now.

          It's very epic scifi with some very complex manuevering and plotting and the themes. It focues on the Trojan War taking place on a terraformed Mars, reenacted step by step by some "Gods" in the far future, with an historian from the 20th century recloned to document and study the actual happenings, for accuracy and detail by these "Gods." It has alot more to it than that, however, but i won't spoil it for you. You have to really like epic scifi to read this. It's more Dune, than Deathstalker, in other words.

          wrote:
          > Starting reading this and wonder if anyone else has read it and what
          > did you think?

          Fantasy science fiction magazine Fantasy science fiction Science fiction movies Fantasy game Writing science fiction Science fiction

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5, 2005
            Dune was my first true sci-fi and remained very difficult to beat
            for many years.. I have hyperion by simmons and have been meaning to
            read it. Just might have to read both.

            --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, Matt Baker
            <gauvaine@y...> wrote:
            > Dan Simmons wrote it, Y. Came out about two years ago and just
            recently in paperback. I have it and had been waiting for it to come
            out. The next one in the duology, called Olympos, is out now.

            > It's very epic scifi with some very complex manuevering and
            plotting and the themes. It focues on the Trojan War taking place on
            a terraformed Mars, reenacted step by step by some "Gods" in the far
            future, with an historian from the 20th century recloned to document
            and study the actual happenings, for accuracy and detail by
            these "Gods." It has alot more to it than that, however, but i won't
            spoil it for you. You have to really like epic scifi to read this.
            It's more Dune, than Deathstalker, in other words.

            > Yvette <yvette_n_chad@y...> wrote:
            > This sounds familiar..who's the author? Yvette
            >

            > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt"
            <gauvaine@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Starting reading this and wonder if anyone else has read it and
            what
            > > did you think?

            > Fantasy science fiction magazine Fantasy science fiction Science
            fiction movies Fantasy game Writing science fiction Science fiction

            Service.

          • karl barnes
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2005
              The first two books in the Hyperion series(there are four novels) are great! I highly recommend them. The next two books ...well, I couldn't get into the third book, so can't really say much about it.

              Yvette <yvette_n_chad@...> wrote:Dune was my first true sci-fi and remained very difficult to beat

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 2005
                I think Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, etc are acknowledged
                now as being pretty significant works of the 1980's and 1990's as
                far as thoughtful hard scifi, if there is such a genre. You might
                want to give them a try. I always found the Shrike frightening. You
                can see Simmon's horror streak in the way he presents that figure.

                --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Yvette"

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 6, 2005
                  I think this might be a good discussion to figure out why Dune is
                  still so popular almost 40 years later and what was it that made it
                  such a groundbreaking, breathtaking read. I read it in 1985, i
                  think, and was just blown away. I had just read To Your Scattered
                  Bodies Go, and the World of Tiers, by Philip Jose Farmer and had
                  just finished reading Battlefield Earth when i read Dune, so i was
                  in a scifi type bent at the time, as a 15-16 year old.

                  I can't put a finger on what exactly i liked. It was the spice
                  aspect, the folding of space, and the whole giant worm gobbling you
                  up thing, and the Fremen, and the Bene Jesserit sisterhood, etc,
                  etc. The political manuevering. It was a book ahead of its time,
                  that's for sure. And it still holds up today.

                  What do you think?