11410Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Today's blog about ebook piracy

  • jcherper
    Jan 3, 2009
      The simple solution is to not sell e-books. If you think torrents are
      bad check out IRC, easily more than any website. E-books are easy to
      copy and distribute, that is the problem with the media. If you don't
      want to see your hard work end up on the internet for free you need to
      avoid the whole method of publishing.

      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Chapman"
      arkTerenceChapman@...> wrote

      Even if
      > that means reselling it, though I am not advocating piracy.
      >
      > Jeff: Consider the following scenario: You've written a book. One
      day, you
      > notice that someone is selling 10 paperback copies on eBay. That's good
      > news, because it means they bought 10 copies from your publisher and
      they
      > have ten copies to sell.
      >
      > Okay, so now change that scenario to ebooks. Hmm. Did he buy 10
      copies, or
      > only 1? Or did he buy a copy at all? Maybe he got a copy from a
      friend. And
      > who say's he'll stop at selling 10 copies. Maybe he'll sell 500 over
      time.
      > Did you get royalties for ANY of those copies? Not if he didn't buy them
      > from the publisher.
      >
      > I have no problem with readers making backup copies, or sharing a
      copy with
      > their immediate family. (After all, we all do that with print
      books.) But
      > when it comes to uploading a copy to a website for the enjoyment of
      hundreds
      > or thousands of other people, with no compensation to the author, that's
      > where I draw the line.)
      >
      > I recently heard about a website that charges a "membership fee" to
      join and
      > download from a library of thousands of copyrighted books. So the
      website is
      > benefiting from the books, but the authors aren't. How is that fair?
      There's

      <MarkTerenceChapman@...<MarkTerenceChapman%40gmail.com>>

      fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com<fantasyfictiondungeon%40yahoogroups.com>