11235Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Re: Authors are invited to post?

  • Jeff Cherpeski
    Jun 7, 2007
      Sheri,
      I did delete that post. If you don't like it here, leave.

      raegenhare <design@...> wrote: Jeff, let's get the facts straight. My first post was about my own,
      published Fantasy eBook (including free excerpts), a Fantasy-related
      promotion of general interest to people who like books, and a head's
      up about a publisher who is currently accepting submissions from new
      authors.

      So far, you're the only person who's flagged this as spam. And, in
      the meantime, some corporate cheese posted their press release about
      a comic book convention in NYC and you didn't slam them. So, a big
      corporation promoting their comic book venue with a press release
      isn't spam, but a newly published author promoting her first book is?

      How much are they paying you?

      Sheri

      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Cherpeski
      <jcherper@...> wrote:

      > Spam is when a person joins the group, and their first post is an
      ad for their e-book company. I will be speaking to Matt, the owner,
      and we will get the description changed to mention the spam factor.

      > raegenhare <design@...> wrote: On
      the description page of this Yahoo Group is the following text:

      > "If you have a book, game, movie/tv review or an interesting
      > anecdote, please post, we'd love to hear from you. Topic threads
      are
      > usually various and colorful, so have it and let's have some fun."
      >
      > I have written an eBook, and I posted. How is that spam? I
      provided a
      > link to a FREE excerpt of my work -- how is that spam? I don't
      expect
      > people to be able to talk with me about my work if they haven't
      read
      > it, after all. So why do you think my post was spam?
      >
      > Again, from the Yahoo Group description:
      >
      > "This club is about sharing your delight with fantasy and science
      > fiction, whether you read it, write it or love watching it,
      whether
      > it be Television, Movies, comic books, anime, computer or platform
      > games and any other medium you can think of."
      >
      > My publisher, Virtual Tales, is running a sale on genre fiction,
      > including Fantasy. From the description of this Yahoo Group, I
      > expected there would be some members who like to read Fantasy
      eBooks,
      > so I passed the news along. They're giving away their entire eBook
      > library in a free drawing, for goodness sake -- why is it spam to
      > share that information? Did I say you can only buy my work? That
      you
      > have to buy anything? No. I simply said that they were doing a
      > promotion and a giveaway. How is that spam?
      >
      > I see that you are moderator of this group, Jeff, which makes it
      even
      > more puzzling. I assume you or one of the other moderators wrote
      the
      > description for this group. If your group has changed -- that is,
      you
      > don't want published authors to post about their works, or for
      > members to share information about Fantasy promotions at book
      > websites, then perhaps you should change the group description, or
      > set up this Yahoo Group so that you have to approve all messages
      > before they are posted.
      >
      > Saje is right -- social networking is one of the best ways for new
      > authors to promote their works. I'm really excited about THE EYE
      OF
      > CAER WEILEN, and I enjoy talking about it. I've done live chats,
      > sponsored contests, and posted information wherever I can to
      promote
      > my book, and the Fantasy genre in general. I think THE EYE OF CAER
      > WEILEN is the best new take on dragonlore since Pern, and I've got
      > lots of fans and readers who feel that way, too. It's well
      > researched, well written and professionally edited -- and the
      cover
      > artwork is gorgeous. I am totally jazzed about it.
      >
      > But I am new author. CAER WEILEN is my first published work, and I
      > hope to follow it with the second book in the series, EYES OF
      EARTH &
> [...]
      >
      > I hope you'll take a few moments and explain why you think that
      self-
      > promotion by an author is spam.
      >
      > Sheri
      >
      > P.S. -- I also shared that Virtual Tales is open for new
      submissions.
      > I know this group does Flash Fiction writing projects, so I
      figured
      > there would be some members who might like to know about a good
      > publisher that's actively looking for other writers. I suppose you
      > think that's spam, too?
      >
      > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Cherpeski
      > <jcherper@> wrote:
      > >
      > > BuhBye.
      > >
      > > Saje <soulsaje@> wrote: Do you
      > folks realize how few avenues for reaching out to readers of
      > speculative fiction are available on-line? Readers of romance and
      > its sub-genres outnumber fantasy and sci-fi buffs on-line by
      roughly
      > a thousand to one. This little yahoo group, for example, is the
      > largest of the fantasy sites here and it is roughly the same size
      as
      > the smallest of the romance reader groups.
      > >
      > > The key to success as an author these days isn't so much in the
      > writing, though that is as important as ever, but in the
      promotion.
      > If people don't KNOW to read you, all the talent and skill in the
      > world isn't going to bring people to your door.
      > >
      > > My publisher, Samhain, has gone from being a virtual unknown to
      > becoming a second tier to the big houses themselves in only a few
      > short years, due in part to the talent of its authors and our
      > unflagging devotion to the OTHER side of our mission, which is to
      > promote our work and those of our fellows anywhere and everywhere
      we
      > can, in whatever manner is made available to us.
      > >
      > > So perhaps this was spam, yes. Or maybe not. In either case,
      > it's an example of trying to reach out to prospective readers in
      one
      > of the most efficient ways available to a fellow author. I find
      > cruel.
      > >
      > > One of the things that seems to set the members of the romance
      > groups apart from some is that romance readers seem to be
      genuinely
      > friendly. Since I don't write romance specifically, though some
      > might consider that entirely a matter of opinion, I am at a bit of
      > disadvantage posting on such lists. Yet, to be honest, they don't
      > treat me like an unwelcome stray sniffing around the door in
      search
      > of a free meal.
      > >
      > > It's no wonder that fantasy is becoming the Romance genre's
      poor
      > cousin, at least on-line. Romance readers seem to be interested
      in
      > something other than authors who are already well-known and whose
      > bank accounts are well-padded. They are more interested in the
      STORY
      > than the name.
      > >
      > > One fellow author who posts to this group on occasion is the
      ONLY
      > author (or reader, for that matter) I've ever seen with the gall
      and
      > bad grace to bash another's promotional efforts on-line. And the
      > fact that he's associated with this group at all brought me to the
      > brink of leaving it on the spot. No one, and I mean NO ONE, does
      > that. It's in horribly poor taste and left me wondering what,
      > precisely, he was trying to accomplish by it. Not to mention
      > guessing at his motivations.
      > >
      > > I despise arrogance and pretension above all, followed closely
      by
      > overt rudeness. If one cannot keep a civil tongue in one's mouth
      in
      > day to day discourse, perhaps that appendage would better yet
      adorn
      > the end of someone's dagger instead.
      > >
      > > Personally I'd recommend developing a more receptive air here,
      and
      > giving these poor folks the benefit of the doubt. I have to
      wonder
      > how many of the lurkers here are authors who are afraid to stick
      > their foot into the water out of fear of someone biting off their
      > toes.
      > >
      > > That is not to say that everyone here seems a troll ready to
      > pounce. The women in this group, at least, seem quite friendly
      and
      > receptive. Maybe that tells more of the tale than I had
      realized.

      > > Then again, I've always found the company of women to be
      > preferable to that of most men. The behavior of the
      aforementioned
      > fellow author, who shall remain nameless, seems to vindicate this
      > preference.
      > >
      > > A pity, that.
      > >
      > > Adieu,
      > >
      > > Saje Williams