11230Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] A newbie hello...

  • Jeff Cherpeski
    Jun 7, 2007
      BuhBye.

      Saje <soulsaje@...> wrote: Do you folks realize how few avenues for reaching out to readers of speculative fiction are available on-line? Readers of romance and its sub-genres outnumber fantasy and sci-fi buffs on-line by roughly a thousand to one. This little yahoo group, for example, is the largest of the fantasy sites here and it is roughly the same size as the smallest of the romance reader groups.

      The key to success as an author these days isn't so much in the writing, though that is as important as ever, but in the promotion. If people don't KNOW to read you, all the talent and skill in the world isn't going to bring people to your door.

      My publisher, Samhain, has gone from being a virtual unknown to becoming a second tier to the big houses themselves in only a few short years, due in part to the talent of its authors and our unflagging devotion to the OTHER side of our mission, which is to promote our work and those of our fellows anywhere and everywhere we can, in whatever manner is made available to us.

      So perhaps this was spam, yes. Or maybe not. In either case, it's an example of trying to reach out to prospective readers in one of the most efficient ways available to a fellow author. I find responses like this one to be not only rude, but thoughtless and cruel.

      One of the things that seems to set the members of the romance groups apart from some is that romance readers seem to be genuinely friendly. Since I don't write romance specifically, though some might consider that entirely a matter of opinion, I am at a bit of a disadvantage posting on such lists. Yet, to be honest, they don't treat me like an unwelcome stray sniffing around the door in search of a free meal.

      It's no wonder that fantasy is becoming the Romance genre's poor cousin, at least on-line. Romance readers seem to be interested in something other than authors who are already well-known and whose bank accounts are well-padded. They are more interested in the STORY than the name.

      One fellow author who posts to this group on occasion is the ONLY author (or reader, for that matter) I've ever seen with the gall and bad grace to bash another's promotional efforts on-line. And the fact that he's associated with this group at all brought me to the brink of leaving it on the spot. No one, and I mean NO ONE, does that. It's in horribly poor taste and left me wondering what, precisely, he was trying to accomplish by it. Not to mention guessing at his motivations.

      I despise arrogance and pretension above all, followed closely by overt rudeness. If one cannot keep a civil tongue in one's mouth in day to day discourse, perhaps that appendage would better yet adorn the end of someone's dagger instead.

      Personally I'd recommend developing a more receptive air here, and giving these poor folks the benefit of the doubt. I have to wonder how many of the lurkers here are authors who are afraid to stick their foot into the water out of fear of someone biting off their toes.

      That is not to say that everyone here seems a troll ready to pounce. The women in this group, at least, seem quite friendly and receptive. Maybe that tells more of the tale than I had realized.

      Then again, I've always found the company of women to be preferable to that of most men. The behavior of the aforementioned fellow author, who shall remain nameless, seems to vindicate this preference.

      A pity, that.

      Adieu,

      Saje Williams
      Author: The Infinity Project