10407Re: Anime question

    Dec 7, 2005
      As Wired Magazine likes to say, "Japanese Schoolgirl siting." Anime
      and manga are very sexualized, very adult. Not all of it, but i'd
      say 80 percent. Violent, too, of course. But Japanese males have an
      obsession with young girls and sexual innuendo, especially in anime.
      It's a cultural thing. Sometimes it can be very creepy.

      Matt

      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Herod Antipas"
      <antippas@h...> wrote:

      > I know this is somewhat off topic but I really mean this as a
      serious
      > question:
      >
      > It seems like alot of anime, some of which is ostensibly for kids,
      is
      > rather sexualized. I recenlt watched Kiki's Delivery Service with
      my
      > 5 year old, who adored it. Kiki is a 13 year old witch who moves
      to a
      > new town to find her fortune. The funny part was, the character
      wears
      > a dress throughout the movie, and is constantly showing her
      > underwear. Now I know that if a person really didi fly around on
      > broom in a medium length dress, that would happen, but the
      animators
      > seemed to be going out of their way to do this at every
      opportunity,
      > whereas American animators would have kept it to a minimum just
      > because it isn't seemly to show alot of 13-year-old girls
      underwear.
      > I wasn't upset, and my daughter didin't mind, but I'm just really
      > curious. Is this some cultural difference between the US and
      Japan?
      > Are they being realistic and just showing what things would look
      like,
      > or are they being deliberately titilating?

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic