10406Re: Anime question

  • excelsior34
    Dec 7, 2005
      Animation is a serious film genre in Japan. Here we still consider
      it a kiddie genre. Hollywood now is ripping it off big time a la the
      Matrix.

      Also many times when Cartoon Network gets stuff it has been edited,
      and that is pathetic. Other times characters are added to make it
      appealing to kids here, i.e. Battle of the Planets.

      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, karl barnes
      <priestvyrce@y...> wrote:

      > Yeah, alot of anime comes off as soft core with tantilizing
      glances of shapely thighs and peeks at under-panties. Inuyasha(a
      regular on Adult Swim on the Carttoon Network) has a main female
      character(can't spell the name right,but it starts with a K) from
      modern times is dressed in a super skimpy school uniform throughout
      the series. And there are some anime that ARE very soft core ie show
      nudity etc ; where the main characters are very young(school girls).

      > I'm of the thought of why don't some of these anime use older
      characters and I'm sure that there are some. I've just haven't seen
      many that do.

      > Herod Antipas <antippas@h...> wrote:
      > I know this is somewhat off topic but I really mean this as a
      serious
      > question:
      >
      > It seems like alot of anime, some of which is ostensibly for kids,
      is
      > rather sexualized. I recenlt watched Kiki's Delivery Service with
      my
      > 5 year old, who adored it. Kiki is a 13 year old witch who moves
      to a
      > new town to find her fortune. The funny part was, the character
      wears
      > a dress throughout the movie, and is constantly showing her
      > underwear. Now I know that if a person really didi fly around on
      > broom in a medium length dress, that would happen, but the
      animators
      > seemed to be going out of their way to do this at every
      opportunity,
      > whereas American animators would have kept it to a minimum just
      > because it isn't seemly to show alot of 13-year-old girls
      underwear.
      > I wasn't upset, and my daughter didin't mind, but I'm just really
      > curious. Is this some cultural difference between the US and
      Japan?
      > Are they being realistic and just showing what things would look
      like,
      > or are they being deliberately titilating?

      > Fantasy science fiction magazine Fantasy science
      fiction Science fiction movies Fantasy game Writing science
      fiction Science fiction

      Service.