10148Dune

    Sep 6, 2005
      I think this might be a good discussion to figure out why Dune is
      still so popular almost 40 years later and what was it that made it
      such a groundbreaking, breathtaking read. I read it in 1985, i
      think, and was just blown away. I had just read To Your Scattered
      Bodies Go, and the World of Tiers, by Philip Jose Farmer and had
      just finished reading Battlefield Earth when i read Dune, so i was
      in a scifi type bent at the time, as a 15-16 year old.

      I can't put a finger on what exactly i liked. It was the spice
      aspect, the folding of space, and the whole giant worm gobbling you
      up thing, and the Fremen, and the Bene Jesserit sisterhood, etc,
      etc. The political manuevering. It was a book ahead of its time,
      that's for sure. And it still holds up today.

      What do you think?

      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Yvette"