The Tawny Man Trilogy

  • Femmy Syahrani Ardiyanto
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2006
      Dari: http://femmy.multiply.com/reviews/item/25
      (resensinya pake bahasa Inggris, soalnya aku bacanya versi Inggrisnya, hehehe)

      I just finished reading this and, as is wont to happen with a good
      book, right now I am feeling a little bit lost, as if I just parted
      with my best friends. Sigh.

      The Tawny Man (TTM) is the third trilogy by Robin Hobb, the first
      being The Farseer Trilogy (TFT), the second The Liveship Traders
      (TLT). It returns to the story of FitzChivalry Farseer, the bastard
      prince of the Six Duchies kingdom, picking it up fifteen years after
      the end of TFT, building on conflicts and themes hinted in the
      previous trilogy.

      The first book, Fool's Errand, deals mainly with the theme of Old
      Blood or the Witted, the people who can communicate and bond with
      animals, and have long been prosecuted by other people who regard this
      ability as dirty magic. Fitz himself is Witted, which is one of the
      reason he goes into fifteen years of self-imposed isolation. But now a
      faction of this people, who styled themselves as the Piebalds, are
      planning to fight back, and they are somehow involved with the
      disappearance of Prince Dutiful. So Fitz must come out of hiding and
      find the prince and bring him back to Buckkeep Palace, in time for his
      betrothal to a princess from the Out Islands.

      The second book, The Golden Fool, revolves around the intrigues and
      mysteries brought about by this betrothal, between Prince Dutiful and
      the Elianna of the Outlislanders (the hated enemy in TFT), whose
      marriage is arranged to bring peace between the two people. The
      characters and story line from TLT also make their appearance,
      proposing an alliance between the liveship traders of Bingtown and the
      Six Duchies, for the sake of the dragon Tintaglia. The story becomes
      more and more complicated as Fitz has to juggle his relationship with
      all the people that come and go in his life.

      The third book, Fool's Fate, Fitz accompanies the Prince to the Out
      Islands to fulfill a challenge proposed by Elliana, before she would
      accept Dutiful as her husband--slay the dragon Icefyre. Behind the
      challenge, stands the mastermind of all attacks against Buckkeep--the
      Pale Woman. In the end, Fitz must choose between his friend and his
      duty.

      As with the first two trilogies, the reason I fell in love with this
      story is the characters and the relationships between them. Good
      novels always have good characters, but what amazes me about Robin
      Hobb's trilogies is how she can create such a different relationship
      between different pairs of people, each one formed by the unique
      experiences that they share. There are many people who love and are
      loved by Fitz, but the great thing is, you can always see the
      difference, for instance, between his friendship with Nighteyes and
      the Fool, his respect for Chade and Burrich, for Kettricken and
      Verity, his relationship with his three children Nettle and Dutiful
      and Hap, his fondness for Thick and Lady Patience. It is not just the
      characters are great and real and believable and all that, but they
      have histories together, and I hang on to every word to find out what
      their futures are. It is just brilliant. I would have given the
      trilogy five stars, but the first book is so very slow to get into
      action, so I had to drop one star. I hope I can soon find other books
      that are as good as these.

      --
      wassalam,
      femmy