Re: Author recommendation?

  • amulder12
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 20, 2009
      A *little* inconsistent? That's an understatement.

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 21, 2009
        And yet, if I was to go by sheer volume of people requesting, he would
        be top of the list by a long country mile.

        I quite like Chunin Exam Day, although even the quality of that has
        suffered in places. I'm not one for mega harems (he says, with a
        story with a weird multiple pairing 300+ page done), and that falls in
        to that category majorly, despite that, some of the story is good.

        T.

        On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 3:10 PM, amulder12 <amulder@...> wrote:

        > A *little* inconsistent? That's an understatement.
        >
        > --- In fanficauthors@yahoogroups.com, "Brian64" <bjdibbins@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hmm, no offence, but he's a virtual unknown with a story that I consider to be a little inconsistent quality wise. A view shared by some readers on other yahoo forums I might add.

      • lyra_mcpherson_79
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 22, 2009
          His fic is funny, engaging, serious and all that - in that regard, yes, it's inconsistent. But otherwise, he lays down loads of details, and then when we think 'thats it', bam it comes back to haunt us...

          He uses a great blend of mythology and the implications that "If magic exists, something from fairytales, why not other pieces of those fairytales?" to bring the Harry Potter world to life in a great way, explaining just why the magical world is the way it is to us. Perception is a variable thing yes, and while each of us sees the magical world of the HP books in a different way,
          He takes details from all over to, cast a new light.

          Oh look, that foe glass that Harry had in 3rd year, that was warning Harry about Peter everytime Ron+scabbers was near... Why doesn't he use that in 4th year? 5th year? ... in fact if RON, a WEASLEY could get one, then why does the rest of the wizarding world not use them? After all, they show your enemies, even if you don't know they're enemies. It was Shown when they were first mentioned: They didn't know about scabbers, and it still was trying to warn them!

          Nonjon's A Black Comedy got 3886 reviews as of just now.

          PL's Partially Kissed Hero? 7455!

          Jeconais' This Means War! only has 3380. on FFN that is.

          the only FFA writer who's on FFN that beat his review count, is Viridian with T8 (8846) and NoFP (9036)

          The rest are around 3k, and below.

          The main reason many didn't like PKH is because it needs you to be switched on, see the details AND the big picture.

          > And yet, if I was to go by sheer volume of people requesting, he would
          > be top of the list by a long country mile.
          >
          > I quite like Chunin Exam Day, although even the quality of that has
          > suffered in places. I'm not one for mega harems (he says, with a
          > story with a weird multiple pairing 300+ page done), and that falls in
          > to that category majorly, despite that, some of the story is good.
          >
          > T.
          >
          > On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 3:10 PM, amulder12 <amulder@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > A *little* inconsistent? That's an understatement.
          > >
          > > --- In fanficauthors@yahoogroups.com, "Brian64" <bjdibbins@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hmm, no offence, but he's a virtual unknown with a story that I consider to be a little inconsistent quality wise. A view shared by some readers on other yahoo forums I might add.

        • bluminous_geo
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 23, 2009
            I recommend Mr. Clell. Hopefully he will finally finish his excellent story the Invincible Technomage and ignore the (well written) plot bunnies that constantly distract him.
          • sublimeperspicacity
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 24, 2009
              Where you see the sublime, I find stories on the edge of unreadable. It has nothing to do with my "switching," so much as my tolerance for writers who waste my time.

              Just a few of the issues I have with PL's stories: They're about a factor of five too long, they're inconsistently edited, and they often lack structure, resembling more a rush from one shiny object/gee-whiz idea to the next than a story proper, with pacing, arcs, foreshadowing, and character development. Where you see "amazing planning" and argue one "has to see the big picture" to enjoy, I see someone who has littered so much rubbish along the way that it's little wonder he can occasionally go find a discarded thread or twist to use (and then brag about his cleverness in his A/N). He writes harem fics, which pretty much stamps a big ol' "don't take me seriously" disclaimer on his forehead, his billion or so reviews notwithstanding.

              Since you're pushing stories on the virtue of reviews, perhaps you should consider the auspicious "My Immortal" by XXXbloodyristsXXX with its 15k+ reviews when taken down by ff.net. By your reckoning, she should be a shoo-in for hosting here.

              In the end it probably doesn't matter. If new authors were to be added in the future, I doubt that the words of a few of us little people would make make a difference in the final accounting. I could list several whom I think should be considered (Rorschach's Blot, nonjon, Deadwoodpecker, joe6991, BajaB, darklordmike), but a) I'm sure those with a realistic shot have already been brought to the attention of the powers running the show, and b) what's my opinion worth to them? Not a whole lot.

              --- In fanficauthors@yahoogroups.com, "lyra_mcpherson_79" <alex_mcpherson_79@...> wrote:

              > His fic is funny, engaging, serious and all that - in that regard, yes, it's inconsistent. But otherwise, he lays down loads of details, and then when we think 'thats it', bam it comes back to haunt us...
              >
              > He uses a great blend of mythology and the implications that "If magic exists, something from fairytales, why not other pieces of those fairytales?" to bring the Harry Potter world to life in a great way, explaining just why the magical world is the way it is to us. Perception is a variable thing yes, and while each of us sees the magical world of the HP books in a different way,
              > He takes details from all over to, cast a new light.
              >
              > Oh look, that foe glass that Harry had in 3rd year, that was warning Harry about Peter everytime Ron+scabbers was near... Why doesn't he use that in 4th year? 5th year? ... in fact if RON, a WEASLEY could get one, then why does the rest of the wizarding world not use them? After all, they show your enemies, even if you don't know they're enemies. It was Shown when they were first mentioned: They didn't know about scabbers, and it still was trying to warn them!
              >
              > Nonjon's A Black Comedy got 3886 reviews as of just now.
              >
              > PL's Partially Kissed Hero? 7455!
              >
              > Jeconais' This Means War! only has 3380. on FFN that is.
              >
              > the only FFA writer who's on FFN that beat his review count, is Viridian with T8 (8846) and NoFP (9036)
              >
              > The rest are around 3k, and below.
              >
              > The main reason many didn't like PKH is because it needs you to be switched on, see the details AND the big picture.
              > --- In fanficauthors@yahoogroups.com, Tim Joy <jeconais@> wrote:
              > >
              > > And yet, if I was to go by sheer volume of people requesting, he would
              > > be top of the list by a long country mile.
              > >
              > > I quite like Chunin Exam Day, although even the quality of that has
              > > suffered in places. I'm not one for mega harems (he says, with a
              > > story with a weird multiple pairing 300+ page done), and that falls in
              > > to that category majorly, despite that, some of the story is good.
              > >
              > > T.
              > >
              > > On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 3:10 PM, amulder12 <amulder@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > A *little* inconsistent? That's an understatement.

            • madderbrad
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 25, 2009

                > ... he says, with a story with a weird multiple
                > pairing 300+ page done ...

                Tease.

                :-)

                Brad
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 26, 2009
                  M'eh.... you wouldn't care - it's Naruto not HP...

                  T.

                  On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 11:19 AM, madderbrad <madderbrad@...> wrote:

                  > --- In fanficauthors@yahoogroups.com, Tim Joy <jeconais@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > ... he says, with a story with a weird multiple
                  > > pairing 300+ page done ...
                  >
                  > Tease.
                  >
                  > :-)
                  >
                  > Brad

                • amulder12
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 26, 2009
                    Tim, I take back my comments of a month ago.

                    For some reason, one of his chapters was placed in front of me again, and I found myself laughing at the sheer insanity of it. So I went back and skimmed most of the entire story -- this time just trying to enjoy the madcap undisciplined mayhem, and I enjoyed it a lot more.

                    No it is not conventional. Yes, it could use some good beta work. But it is also hilarious in many places.