Re: [fanficauthors] Re: Site structure anoyance.

  • Mike Fairbanks
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 20, 2010
      And, therefore, don't try to distract him.

      Tim, I think we all really appreciate the site you have created, both from a reader's point of view and from an author's point of view, I know I do.

      Mike (MoA)

      On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Tim Joy <jeconais@...> wrote:

      If there's enough demand, I'll look at doing something like that when I start to write more code.  At the moment, I'm in "writing" mode, so am not looking at code.

      Tim

    • pfeil
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 20, 2010
        On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 01:45, Tim Joy <jeconais@...> wrote:

        > If there's enough demand, I'll look at doing something like that when I start to write more code.  At the moment, I'm in "writing" mode, so am not looking at code.

        I think everyone here will take more of your fics over more FFA
        features every single time, so I'm glad -- especially when the change
        requested is to fix what's a minor nit at best.

        Well, unless you found a way to add a feature to FFA that write
        Tim-quality stories automatically, and won yourself a Noble prize and
        a Turing award, but sadly that's unlikely :)
      • ubereng
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 21, 2010

          > If there's enough demand, I'll look at doing something like that when I
          > start to write more code. At the moment, I'm in "writing" mode, so am not
          > looking at code.

          Thanks for the response.

          Only 2 of us complained about it, in "print". So by the standard letters-to-the-editor-versus-victim ration that most congress-creatures use, that's only 1000 people that mind this behavior -- out of however-many users. (^_^)

          But, I think we all agree that it's an annoyance at worst -- perhaps something to add as a low priority to whatever bug/feature tracker you use.

          "Writing mode" trumps coding mode every time. Thanks for the site and thanks for the stories.
        • ubereng
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 21, 2010
            --- In fanficauthors@yahoogroups.com, Chris P <chris050987@...> wrote:

            > It takes 5-10 minutes to open all the individual author pages and log in,
            > then whatever password manager you use will helpfully fill in the form when
            > you next hit that author page. No reason to make changes :D

            Not quite.

            You need to:
            (1) Erase the site cookies.
            (2) Load an author subdomain.
            (3) Copy and Paste the username and password into the PW manager and click login.
            (4) Repeat-all, for 22 authors (more reportedly on the way).

            That's about 30 seconds per author, for a total of at least 11 minutes of mindless clicking. Repeat for every different machine you use.

            Then do it all again, if/when you change your password.

            If you think that 11 minutes (times 3 main machines, for me) is not such a long time, Then get an acquaintance to punch you in the arm twice a minute for 11 minutes -- time slows way, the fark, down.

            I suppose I might gin up a Firefox extension to automate the process, but that's at the very bottom of my rainy-day, to-code list. (FFA's the only problem site and updated stories are rather infrequent these days.)
          • Mike Fairbanks
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 21, 2010
              Why not just know your login and password and enter it when the subject comes up?    That I recall, FFA doesn't have the extreme username and password restrictions that other sites have, meaning you can use your standard and not have a problem remembering it.  Can't say I have ever had a problem logging into FFA despite getting onto it from 4 different computers in the last year.

              Mike (MoA)

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 22, 2010
                --- In fanficauthors@yahoogroups.com, Mike Fairbanks <musingsofapathy@...> wrote:

                > Why not just know your login and password and enter it when the subject
                > comes up?

                That is a very, very bad habit to have.
                Alas it is what I ended up doing with FFA -- since the consequences of my account getting hacked are limited to annoyances and perhaps (more) bad reviews. ;)

                I have a different username and password for every site. All of my passwords -- except for FFA's -- look like: "Mmfe(nM5gbFAxARiQqyaK*nHYC1pe@Yto"

                Not something I can memorize, times several hundred.
              • pfeil
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 22, 2010
                  On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 01:01, ubereng <mryahell@...> wrote:

                  > --- In fanficauthors@yahoogroups.com, Mike Fairbanks <musingsofapathy@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Why not just know your login and password and enter it when the subject
                  >> comes up?
                  >
                  > That is a very, very bad habit to have.
                  > Alas it is what I ended up doing with FFA -- since the consequences of my account getting hacked are limited to annoyances and perhaps (more) bad reviews. ;)

                  For sites with nothing really worth protecting, there's nothing wrong
                  with some easy password (even just 123456) with @sitename at the end.
                  That way it's too long to brute force, it's protected against
                  automated attacks on other sites if one is broken, and it's easy to
                  type.