Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [fanficauthors] Re: Site structure anoyance.

Expand Messages
  • Tim Joy
    Rule 1 of internet survival: If something gets a visceral reaction, never reply immediately. Subdomains: These are staying. They are the core feature of
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 20, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Rule 1 of internet survival: If something gets a visceral reaction, never reply immediately.

      Subdomains:
      These are staying.  They are the core feature of ffa.net that I "sold" the service to other authors as.  That everyone is equal and everyone has their own subdomain.  If I was told that it was changing to fanficauthors.net/jeconais/ I'd leave the site.  So I'm definitely not doing that.

      Changing to a single login domain:
      This half exists, as www.fanficauthors.net has the account settings as well.  

      The problem comes with the per-domain logins.  As far as I'm aware, these password managers read the current domain, not the target domain, so changing the per-domain code to post to one place isn't going to win anything. 

      Auto redirecting people might work, although I'd have to get around to implementing sessions (*) and storing original domain in there, so that I can always send people back to the right site.

      If there's enough demand, I'll look at doing something like that when I start to write more code.  At the moment, I'm in "writing" mode, so am not looking at code.

      Tim

      * - why, no, I wouldn't use the default session stuff, it's horrid.
    • Chris P
      It takes 5-10 minutes to open all the individual author pages and log in, then whatever password manager you use will helpfully fill in the form when you next
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 20, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        It takes 5-10 minutes to open all the individual author pages and log in, then whatever password manager you use will helpfully fill in the form when you next hit that author page. No reason to make changes :D

        On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Tim Joy <jeconais@...> wrote:
        The problem comes with the per-domain logins

      • Mike Fairbanks
        And, therefore, don t try to distract him. Tim, I think we all really appreciate the site you have created, both from a reader s point of view and from an
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 20, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          And, therefore, don't try to distract him.

          Tim, I think we all really appreciate the site you have created, both from a reader's point of view and from an author's point of view, I know I do.

          Mike (MoA)


          On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Tim Joy <jeconais@...> wrote:
           


          If there's enough demand, I'll look at doing something like that when I start to write more code.  At the moment, I'm in "writing" mode, so am not looking at code.

          Tim


        • pfeil
          ... I think everyone here will take more of your fics over more FFA features every single time, so I m glad -- especially when the change requested is to fix
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 20, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 01:45, Tim Joy <jeconais@...> wrote:
            >
            > If there's enough demand, I'll look at doing something like that when I start to write more code.  At the moment, I'm in "writing" mode, so am not looking at code.
            >

            I think everyone here will take more of your fics over more FFA
            features every single time, so I'm glad -- especially when the change
            requested is to fix what's a minor nit at best.

            Well, unless you found a way to add a feature to FFA that write
            Tim-quality stories automatically, and won yourself a Noble prize and
            a Turing award, but sadly that's unlikely :)
          • ubereng
            ... Thanks for the response. Only 2 of us complained about it, in print . So by the standard letters-to-the-editor-versus-victim ration that most
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 21, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In fanficauthors@yahoogroups.com, Tim Joy <jeconais@...> wrote:
              >
              > If there's enough demand, I'll look at doing something like that when I
              > start to write more code. At the moment, I'm in "writing" mode, so am not
              > looking at code.
              >

              Thanks for the response.

              Only 2 of us complained about it, in "print". So by the standard letters-to-the-editor-versus-victim ration that most congress-creatures use, that's only 1000 people that mind this behavior -- out of however-many users. (^_^)

              But, I think we all agree that it's an annoyance at worst -- perhaps something to add as a low priority to whatever bug/feature tracker you use.

              "Writing mode" trumps coding mode every time. Thanks for the site and thanks for the stories.
            • ubereng
              ... Not quite. You need to: (1) Erase the site cookies. (2) Load an author subdomain. (3) Copy and Paste the username and password into the PW manager and
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 21, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In fanficauthors@yahoogroups.com, Chris P <chris050987@...> wrote:
                >
                > It takes 5-10 minutes to open all the individual author pages and log in,
                > then whatever password manager you use will helpfully fill in the form when
                > you next hit that author page. No reason to make changes :D
                >

                Not quite.

                You need to:
                (1) Erase the site cookies.
                (2) Load an author subdomain.
                (3) Copy and Paste the username and password into the PW manager and click login.
                (4) Repeat-all, for 22 authors (more reportedly on the way).

                That's about 30 seconds per author, for a total of at least 11 minutes of mindless clicking. Repeat for every different machine you use.

                Then do it all again, if/when you change your password.

                If you think that 11 minutes (times 3 main machines, for me) is not such a long time, Then get an acquaintance to punch you in the arm twice a minute for 11 minutes -- time slows way, the fark, down.

                I suppose I might gin up a Firefox extension to automate the process, but that's at the very bottom of my rainy-day, to-code list. (FFA's the only problem site and updated stories are rather infrequent these days.)
              • Mike Fairbanks
                Why not just know your login and password and enter it when the subject comes up? That I recall, FFA doesn t have the extreme username and password
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 21, 2010
                • 0 Attachment
                  Why not just know your login and password and enter it when the subject comes up?    That I recall, FFA doesn't have the extreme username and password restrictions that other sites have, meaning you can use your standard and not have a problem remembering it.  Can't say I have ever had a problem logging into FFA despite getting onto it from 4 different computers in the last year.

                  Mike (MoA)


                  On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 1:36 AM, ubereng <mryahell@...> wrote:
                   


                  --- In fanficauthors@yahoogroups.com, Chris P <chris050987@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > It takes 5-10 minutes to open all the individual author pages and log in,
                  > then whatever password manager you use will helpfully fill in the form when
                  > you next hit that author page. No reason to make changes :D
                  >

                  Not quite.

                  You need to:
                  (1) Erase the site cookies.
                  (2) Load an author subdomain.
                  (3) Copy and Paste the username and password into the PW manager and click login.
                  (4) Repeat-all, for 22 authors (more reportedly on the way).

                  That's about 30 seconds per author, for a total of at least 11 minutes of mindless clicking. Repeat for every different machine you use.

                  Then do it all again, if/when you change your password.

                  If you think that 11 minutes (times 3 main machines, for me) is not such a long time, Then get an acquaintance to punch you in the arm twice a minute for 11 minutes -- time slows way, the fark, down.

                  I suppose I might gin up a Firefox extension to automate the process, but that's at the very bottom of my rainy-day, to-code list. (FFA's the only problem site and updated stories are rather infrequent these days.)

                • ubereng
                  ... That is a very, very bad habit to have. Alas it is what I ended up doing with FFA -- since the consequences of my account getting hacked are limited to
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 22, 2010
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In fanficauthors@yahoogroups.com, Mike Fairbanks <musingsofapathy@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Why not just know your login and password and enter it when the subject
                    > comes up?

                    That is a very, very bad habit to have.
                    Alas it is what I ended up doing with FFA -- since the consequences of my account getting hacked are limited to annoyances and perhaps (more) bad reviews. ;)

                    I have a different username and password for every site. All of my passwords -- except for FFA's -- look like: "Mmfe(nM5gbFAxARiQqyaK*nHYC1pe@Yto"

                    Not something I can memorize, times several hundred.
                  • pfeil
                    ... For sites with nothing really worth protecting, there s nothing wrong with some easy password (even just 123456) with @sitename at the end. That way it s
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 22, 2010
                    • 0 Attachment
                      On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 01:01, ubereng <mryahell@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > --- In fanficauthors@yahoogroups.com, Mike Fairbanks <musingsofapathy@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Why not just know your login and password and enter it when the subject
                      >> comes up?
                      >
                      > That is a very, very bad habit to have.
                      > Alas it is what I ended up doing with FFA -- since the consequences of my account getting hacked are limited to annoyances and perhaps (more) bad reviews. ;)
                      >

                      For sites with nothing really worth protecting, there's nothing wrong
                      with some easy password (even just 123456) with @sitename at the end.
                      That way it's too long to brute force, it's protected against
                      automated attacks on other sites if one is broken, and it's easy to
                      type.
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.