Re: [fanficauthors] March Updates

  • Stick97
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 31, 2010
      I don't think the work in progress comment came across right.

      I meant the fact that you still tweak the site, and are thinking of
      ways to improve it. Ficwad had some interesting features, such as the
      ratings and the ability to reply to reviews in stream so to speak.

      unfortunately, the owner basically gave up on the site and it is slowly dying.

      I don't think that your site needs scored ratings per se, as you tend
      to have a higher tier of writers.

      I did like the fact that a reader could quickly leave feedback on the
      story however, by the ranking and the descriptive term. I know I am
      guilty of not always leaving a review, but I would almost always rate
      a story.

      maybe implement something similar for the authors benefit so they can
      get more feedback on the story?

      I am almost thinking of something like the scoring system used on
      personality tests and oddly enough, a videogame I used to play.

      Basically, you have say 5 values or characteristics you are rated on,
      and you then have an aggregate scoring graphically represented on a
      pentagon type graph.

      just a thought, as I said, I really like the site, and was mainly glad
      to see that you are still tweaking and refining it.

      keep up the great work!

      On 3/31/10, Tim Joy <jeconais@...> wrote:
      >> Your stories have always been great. And inspiring. But the website is
      >> a great work in progress. I've seen great sites with huge potential
      >> die off *koff-ficwad-kaff* due to frustration ans inattention.
      >
      > Work in progress...
      >
      > I've pretty much reached the end of everything I wanted to do with it.
      > Do you have any ideas as to what you would like to see added? I'm
      > not really interested in things that aren't related to fanfiction - or
      > would make FFA.net something it isn't.
      >
      > That's open to anyone - I'm willing to listen to, and debate, ideas -
      > and if they're good, I will implement them.
      >
      > T.

    • Shalon Wood
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 3 10:33 AM
        Tim Joy <jeconais@...> writes:

        >> Your stories have always been great. And inspiring. But the website is
        >> a great work in progress. I've seen great sites with huge potential
        >> die off *koff-ficwad-kaff* due to frustration ans inattention.
        >
        > Work in progress...
        >
        > I've pretty much reached the end of everything I wanted to do with it.
        > Do you have any ideas as to what you would like to see added? I'm
        > not really interested in things that aren't related to fanfiction - or
        > would make FFA.net something it isn't.
        >
        > That's open to anyone - I'm willing to listen to, and debate, ideas -
        > and if they're good, I will implement them.

        Is the list of authors on the front page no longer supposed to be sorted
        by update date? It doesn't seem to be, anyway.

        Shalon Wood
      • Autumn Pantherpaw
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 5 9:09 AM
          Well, I couldn't reach the updates page at all, that's the thing. It's fine now, but it wasn't working at all except for the chapter page list. I had gotten a page where all the authors were listed-not at all like the setup now-but just a general list of the authors and I couldn't get past the front page-just www.fanficauthors.net-without going through the chapter list.

          You can teach a cat how to use the toilet.
          Teaching it how to flush is another matter.-Siegfried and Roy.

          Nunquam lamie morde me dice (Never say 'bite me' to a vampire).

          The broomsticks are mounted.
          The ghosts are a-fright.
          Enchanting takes wing,
          On All Hallows’ Night.

          What exactly do you mean? Using firefox, and from the main page, the author links from the dropdown menu take me to the LAtest Updates page. From there, the dropdown menu can get me to specific pairings... no need for any chapter listing.
          --

          A minor problem I found-you need to do something so that those of us using Firefox can get past the author page...I can't access the author's fic list page without first going to the chapter list page and going from there.

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 6 10:51 AM
            Which story is out of place? It all looks correct here.

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 6 1:27 PM
              Well, I see FP's update, in Feb, in the second place, while the Mar. 10
              update from Deluded Musing is 7th.

              Keep in mind that I use elinks, and don't have javascript; on the other
              hand, they were sorted before, so I assume you aren't using js to do the
              sorting.

              Shalon Wood

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 7 4:04 AM
                > Keep in mind that I use elinks, and don't have javascript; on the other
                > hand, they were sorted before, so I assume you aren't using js to do the
                > sorting.

                They're sorted correctly, but into three columns - so it's using CSS
                to display correctly on the screen. Not sure what I'm going to do
                about this - I don't particularly want to do something for text-mode
                browsers, but that maybe the only solution.

                T.
              • Shalon Wood
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 7 5:06 AM
                  Tim Joy <jeconais@...> writes:

                  >> Keep in mind that I use elinks, and don't have javascript; on the other
                  >> hand, they were sorted before, so I assume you aren't using js to do the
                  >> sorting.
                  >
                  > They're sorted correctly, but into three columns - so it's using CSS
                  > to display correctly on the screen. Not sure what I'm going to do
                  > about this - I don't particularly want to do something for text-mode
                  > browsers, but that maybe the only solution.

                  Huh. I wonder why it used to work, then?

                  Shalon Wood
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 7 6:14 AM
                    > Huh. I wonder why it used to work, then?

                    I changed it as part of the updates. it used to be <li> based, but
                    that gave me a bunch of problems with smaller-screen devices and with
                    overloaded text boxes - so I switched to a column based layout so I
                    could do the ajax all-story loading.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 27 7:50 AM
                      On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Shalon Wood <dstar@...> wrote:

                      > Keep in mind that I use elinks, and don't have javascript; on the other
                      > hand, they were sorted before, so I assume you aren't using js to do the
                      > sorting.

                      I've rewritten the front page, and it now order properly in elinks.

                      T.
                    • Shalon Wood
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 27 9:00 AM
                        Tim Joy <jeconais@...> writes:

                        > On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Shalon Wood <dstar@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Keep in mind that I use elinks, and don't have javascript; on the other
                        >> hand, they were sorted before, so I assume you aren't using js to do the
                        >> sorting.
                        >
                        > I've rewritten the front page, and it now order properly in elinks.

                        Thanks!

                        Also, I noticed that several of Ishtar's fics show up as having 0
                        words. It seems just to be a cosmetic issue, because the chapters do
                        actually have something in them, but I thought you might want to know.

                        Shalon Wood
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 28 8:20 AM
                          > Also, I noticed that several of Ishtar's fics show up as having 0
                          > words. It seems just to be a cosmetic issue, because the chapters do
                          > actually have something in them, but I thought you might want to know.

                          Thanks. All denormalised data (ie word counts etc) are now fixed.