Re: [fanficauthors] March Updates

  • Autumn Pantherpaw
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 30, 2010
      A minor problem I found-you need to do something so that those of us using Firefox can get past the author page...I can't access the author's fic list page without first going to the chapter list page and going from there.

      You can teach a cat how to use the toilet.
      Teaching it how to flush is another matter.-Siegfried and Roy.

      Nunquam lamie morde me dice (Never say 'bite me' to a vampire).

      The broomsticks are mounted.
      The ghosts are a-fright.
      Enchanting takes wing,
      On All Hallows’ Night.

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 31, 2010
        > A minor nitpick. Would it be possible to change the way the list of stories show up on the main page? right now, it simple makes a list that stretches down, and in the cases of Bobmin or Clell, that's a LOONG list. What if, instead of just extending the square, you enlarge it so it takes up the all the screen (as necessary, listing the stories like the "List" option in windows folders)? This won't keep the current "sort by last update" order, but it makes all the stories by the more prolific authors easier to see, rather than having to scroll endlessly.

        I suspect it would need someone with better front-end skills than me
        to make it work. The design is currently a three column based thing,
        and making things rearrange (without resorting to a modal window) to
        allow for this sort of expansion isn't something I really know how to
        do.

        I'm far better at the backend stuff. it's what I get paid for, after all :)

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 31, 2010
            As a lot of people have requested this, I've made the author names into links.

            And removed the "/recent/" from the drop down, as that was confusing
            people (leading to emails to me complaining that the site isn't
            working properly).

            T.

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 31, 2010
              > Your stories have always been great. And inspiring. But the website is
              > a great work in progress. I've seen great sites with huge potential
              > die off *koff-ficwad-kaff* due to frustration ans inattention.

              Work in progress...

              I've pretty much reached the end of everything I wanted to do with it.
              Do you have any ideas as to what you would like to see added? I'm
              not really interested in things that aren't related to fanfiction - or
              would make FFA.net something it isn't.

              That's open to anyone - I'm willing to listen to, and debate, ideas -
              and if they're good, I will implement them.

              T.
            • Stick97
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 31, 2010
                I don't think the work in progress comment came across right.

                I meant the fact that you still tweak the site, and are thinking of
                ways to improve it. Ficwad had some interesting features, such as the
                ratings and the ability to reply to reviews in stream so to speak.

                unfortunately, the owner basically gave up on the site and it is slowly dying.

                I don't think that your site needs scored ratings per se, as you tend
                to have a higher tier of writers.

                I did like the fact that a reader could quickly leave feedback on the
                story however, by the ranking and the descriptive term. I know I am
                guilty of not always leaving a review, but I would almost always rate
                a story.

                maybe implement something similar for the authors benefit so they can
                get more feedback on the story?

                I am almost thinking of something like the scoring system used on
                personality tests and oddly enough, a videogame I used to play.

                Basically, you have say 5 values or characteristics you are rated on,
                and you then have an aggregate scoring graphically represented on a
                pentagon type graph.

                just a thought, as I said, I really like the site, and was mainly glad
                to see that you are still tweaking and refining it.

                keep up the great work!

                On 3/31/10, Tim Joy <jeconais@...> wrote:
                >> Your stories have always been great. And inspiring. But the website is
                >> a great work in progress. I've seen great sites with huge potential
                >> die off *koff-ficwad-kaff* due to frustration ans inattention.
                >
                > Work in progress...
                >
                > I've pretty much reached the end of everything I wanted to do with it.
                > Do you have any ideas as to what you would like to see added? I'm
                > not really interested in things that aren't related to fanfiction - or
                > would make FFA.net something it isn't.
                >
                > That's open to anyone - I'm willing to listen to, and debate, ideas -
                > and if they're good, I will implement them.
                >
                > T.

              • Shalon Wood
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 3, 2010
                  Tim Joy <jeconais@...> writes:

                  >> Your stories have always been great. And inspiring. But the website is
                  >> a great work in progress. I've seen great sites with huge potential
                  >> die off *koff-ficwad-kaff* due to frustration ans inattention.
                  >
                  > Work in progress...
                  >
                  > I've pretty much reached the end of everything I wanted to do with it.
                  > Do you have any ideas as to what you would like to see added? I'm
                  > not really interested in things that aren't related to fanfiction - or
                  > would make FFA.net something it isn't.
                  >
                  > That's open to anyone - I'm willing to listen to, and debate, ideas -
                  > and if they're good, I will implement them.

                  Is the list of authors on the front page no longer supposed to be sorted
                  by update date? It doesn't seem to be, anyway.

                  Shalon Wood
                • Autumn Pantherpaw

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 6, 2010
                      Which story is out of place? It all looks correct here.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 6, 2010
                        Well, I see FP's update, in Feb, in the second place, while the Mar. 10
                        update from Deluded Musing is 7th.

                        Keep in mind that I use elinks, and don't have javascript; on the other
                        hand, they were sorted before, so I assume you aren't using js to do the
                        sorting.

                        Shalon Wood

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 7, 2010
                          > Keep in mind that I use elinks, and don't have javascript; on the other
                          > hand, they were sorted before, so I assume you aren't using js to do the
                          > sorting.

                          They're sorted correctly, but into three columns - so it's using CSS
                          to display correctly on the screen. Not sure what I'm going to do
                          about this - I don't particularly want to do something for text-mode
                          browsers, but that maybe the only solution.

                          T.
                        • Shalon Wood
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 7, 2010
                            Tim Joy <jeconais@...> writes:

                            >> Keep in mind that I use elinks, and don't have javascript; on the other
                            >> hand, they were sorted before, so I assume you aren't using js to do the
                            >> sorting.
                            >
                            > They're sorted correctly, but into three columns - so it's using CSS
                            > to display correctly on the screen. Not sure what I'm going to do
                            > about this - I don't particularly want to do something for text-mode
                            > browsers, but that maybe the only solution.

                            Huh. I wonder why it used to work, then?

                            Shalon Wood
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 7, 2010
                              > Huh. I wonder why it used to work, then?

                              I changed it as part of the updates. it used to be <li> based, but
                              that gave me a bunch of problems with smaller-screen devices and with
                              overloaded text boxes - so I switched to a column based layout so I
                              could do the ajax all-story loading.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 27, 2010
                                On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Shalon Wood <dstar@...> wrote:

                                > Keep in mind that I use elinks, and don't have javascript; on the other
                                > hand, they were sorted before, so I assume you aren't using js to do the
                                > sorting.

                                I've rewritten the front page, and it now order properly in elinks.

                                T.
                              • Shalon Wood
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 27, 2010
                                  Tim Joy <jeconais@...> writes:

                                  > On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Shalon Wood <dstar@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> Keep in mind that I use elinks, and don't have javascript; on the other
                                  >> hand, they were sorted before, so I assume you aren't using js to do the
                                  >> sorting.
                                  >
                                  > I've rewritten the front page, and it now order properly in elinks.

                                  Thanks!

                                  Also, I noticed that several of Ishtar's fics show up as having 0
                                  words. It seems just to be a cosmetic issue, because the chapters do
                                  actually have something in them, but I thought you might want to know.

                                  Shalon Wood
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 28, 2010
                                    > Also, I noticed that several of Ishtar's fics show up as having 0
                                    > words. It seems just to be a cosmetic issue, because the chapters do
                                    > actually have something in them, but I thought you might want to know.

                                    Thanks. All denormalised data (ie word counts etc) are now fixed.