EPUB Support

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2010
      After a few days' worth of hacking (well, a couple of hours a day),
      I've added EPUB support to Fanficauthors.net.

      From wikipedia:
      EPUB (electronic publication; also sometimes ePub, EPub, or epub) is a
      free and open e-book standard, by the International Digital Publishing
      Forum (IDPF). Files have the extension .epub. EPUB is designed for
      reflowable content, meaning that the text display can be optimized for
      the particular display device. The format is meant to function as a
      single format that publishers and conversion houses can use in-house,
      as well as for distribution and sale. It supersedes the Open eBook
      standard...

      In a more open language, it's a way of displaying stories on iPhones,
      Android, and other mobile devices, including a load of the new
      ereaders. it isn't, however, supported by Kindle, that uses a
      proprietary format.

      While I've tested it as much as I can, there still may be problems -
      especially as I don't have a device capable of reading them. I've
      tried one of the examples on O'Reily's Bookworm, and run quite a few
      of the archives through the epubcheck tool. As such, there is a beta
      flag next to the download link. I don't normally like doing this, but
      being unable to do rigourours testing of anything other than creation
      and validation, there's not much else I can do.

      Irritatingly, the major problem I had was creating the container, as
      the mimetype file has to be both the first file in the archive, and
      NOT COMPRESSED. The zip software I was using was compressing the
      file, and debugging it was a pain in the rear. Second problem was the
      actual xhtml itself. In order for FFA.net to be as compatible in it's
      base form as possible, I deliberately use things like the bold tag,
      rather than a style="" attribute. The xhtml, of course, required the
      opposite, so some playing around was required.
    • iceweazel
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26 7:38 PM
        Seems to work fairly well. Thanks for the cool feature.

        I've got an older Sony Libre(J) from the bad old days that I gutted and
        hacked together with a US reader. I've installed the latest ePub
        firmware recently. Most of the books I've tried seem to work alright.
        page #s do really weird things though on the Sony. Dunno if that's
        normal as I haven't mucked about with epub much yet.  A quick look at
        the format makes me want to slap someone for sure.   Format by
        committee sucks.

        However a couple of books I've tried seem to be missing chapters.
        They have their header, title and that's it.   I can't tell right off
        where the issue is but it not client side.   I unzipped the .epub
        file and looked, the .html for the top is ok, but all the chapter text
        is just plain missing.
        -example: FP's years of rebellion, unzip it and look at chapter 8: Happy
        birthday to me.

        iw

        > After a few days' worth of hacking (well, a couple of hours a day),
        > I've added EPUB support to Fanficauthors.net.

        > After a few days' worth of hacking (well, a couple of hours a day),
        > I've added EPUB support to Fanficauthors.net.
        >
        > From wikipedia:
        > EPUB (electronic publication; also sometimes ePub, EPub, or epub) is a
        > free and open e-book standard, by the International Digital Publishing
        > Forum (IDPF). Files have the extension .epub. EPUB is designed for
        > reflowable content, meaning that the text display can be optimized for
        > the particular display device. The format is meant to function as a
        > single format that publishers and conversion houses can use in-house,
        > as well as for distribution and sale. It supersedes the Open eBook
        > standard...
        >
        > In a more open language, it's a way of displaying stories on iPhones,
        > Android, and other mobile devices, including a load of the new
        > ereaders. it isn't, however, supported by Kindle, that uses a
        > proprietary format.
        >
        > While I've tested it as much as I can, there still may be problems -
        > especially as I don't have a device capable of reading them. I've
        > tried one of the examples on O'Reily's Bookworm, and run quite a few
        > of the archives through the epubcheck tool. As such, there is a beta
        > flag next to the download link. I don't normally like doing this, but
        > being unable to do rigourours testing of anything other than creation
        > and validation, there's not much else I can do.
        >
        > Irritatingly, the major problem I had was creating the container, as
        > the mimetype file has to be both the first file in the archive, and
        > NOT COMPRESSED. The zip software I was using was compressing the
        > file, and debugging it was a pain in the rear. Second problem was the
        > actual xhtml itself. In order for FFA.net to be as compatible in it's
        > base form as possible, I deliberately use things like the bold tag,
        > rather than a style="" attribute. The xhtml, of course, required the
        > opposite, so some playing around was required.

      • Jim Trigg
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 27 7:13 PM
          On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM, iceweazel <wahl@...> wrote:
          > However a couple of books I've tried seem to be missing chapters.
          > They have their header, title and that's it.   I can't tell right off
          > where the issue is but it not client side.   I unzipped the .epub
          > file and looked, the .html for the top is ok, but all the chapter text
          > is just plain missing.
          > -example: FP's years of rebellion, unzip it and look at chapter 8: Happy
          > birthday to me.

          I've actually found the problem -- it's non-ascii characters
          (specifically smart quotes/apostrophes) in the title tag. The worst
          case, for some *strange* reason, is "Great Scott, Potter, This is
          War!" by Aaran St. Vines.

          Jim
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 27 11:39 PM
            That's an unrelated issue.  It appears to be caused by the stories having <div> tags as wrappers around the content - and I've banned div tags in the conversion (for many reasons I won't go into).

            So, are you saying that for GS,P. TiW it doesn't have the chapters as well?

            T.

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 28 2:10 AM
              The mentioned file is fixed, and I'm kinda presuming that the others will  be equally as fixed - however, if they aren't, please let me know which stories are missing data.

              mobi and lit files are regenerating at the moment.

              T.