Open letter to the authors

  • João
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2010
      Hi. I'm ThadiusZho, one of the regular lurkers around this site.

      First, let me explain what I'm doing here. I usually only lurk around, reading the stories and reading the reviews (strange habit, I know. I read the reviews but it's not common for me to write in them). I had, for some time, thought in writing this open letter to the authors, but after reading Perfect Slytherins Year 2 - Part 1 and seeing some of the reviews, specially those criticizing the time it took to post that story, I decided to finish this and post it as soon as possible.

      I, contrary to some of the reviewers around this site, am here to thank all the authors that spend their time writing, not only for their enjoyment, but also for all those lucky ones that are allowed to read some of the best Harry Potter (and Naruto, and Highlander, and and and...) stories existing in the web right now, in my most humble opinion.

      You, the authors, created some of the greatest stories for several universes, and I am proud to admit that I started rating all the stories that I found based on the ones existing here. Unfortunately, I stopped looking for stories on several other sites, because it is almost impossible to find one story worth reading in the million of chapters and stories posted each day, especially on "The Other Site". For me, a good story has to be complete in several points: Immersing plot, good chapter size (if an author spends two weeks to write 2000 words, where other authors spend 1 week and write 10000, that has to say something, not only in time available, but also in creativity and written expression), believable and in-canon characters. I don't care about Ships, as long as it is readable (I've read some good slash fics, like Copperbadge's, because their characters are believable, there are no male veelas, or greasy professors exuding charm and sex appeal (shivering here)). I've read good Snape stories, bad Dumbledore's stories, bad Weasleys' stories, good Draco's stories, Harry with Hermione, Ginny, Gabrielle, Hanna Abbott, Susan Bones, Cho Chang and even some outlandish pairings, like Wednesday Addams or Pansy Parkinson or Narcissa Malfoy, because those ARE good stories.

      For those that believe that the only acceptable pairing is Harry with Ginny, or even those that believe Harry should fall madly in love with Hermione, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE, READING THIS STORIES AND THEN CRITICIZING THEIR AUTHORS FOR THEIR CHOICE IN PAIRINGS??? For those that review a story saying that the story looks written by a girl, because of the way the author shows the dresses or the way that people walk or talk, WHY DO YOU KEEP COMING BACK FOR THE STORY AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN??????

      I'm Portuguese, and in Portugal we have a saying: "Preso por ter cão, preso por não ter" that translates into something like "Arrested for having a dog, arrested for not having one", meaning that there is always a flaw. For some of you readers out there, there IS always a flaw. The chapter is too short, the chapter is too long, the character is a emo, the character is super-powered... I don't care and neither should the authors. It's their world, it's their stories, it's their time spent writing them and you should only thank them for having the kindness to let you swim in their lakes.

      I hope I'm not being overly personal, but I have been here since FFA was created (and before) and some of you are almost old friends, and when you appear, you always have some good stories to tell. So, to Tim, that created this site full of stories that I have read and enjoyed and that has created some of my favorite stories (Hope and TMW); to Ruskbyte (sorry that I don't know your real name) for hooking me up in Fanfiction with your Order of The Phoenix; to Ryan, that made me want to learn more about Highlander, JAG and Forever Knight; to Jim, for TML, giving me a Harry with balls; for Matthew (and Lindsay), who is writing the best rewind HP story EVER and is writing a Naruto story with all three of my personal favorites (Naruto, Hinata and Shino); for Anne, for making me "waste" lots of my life reading the Dangerverse and all it's branches; for Bob, and specially for Alyx ('cus I don't want to be in your FPIA list); for Draco664 (again, sorry for not knowing your name), for a Slytherin-thinking Harry; For Mike, who despite his problems, continues to grace us with a thick plot and interesting twists; For Keith and Dorothy, for the fluff and the "stuff" (you know which is which); For Lynda, who invented fifty different ways for Harry to end up in the Hospital Wing; For Kokopelli, who created a story that tells the tale of a young boy with boy problems, instead of the story of a young wizard; For Lady Alchymia, that invented a new way for Harry to be hospitalized (that Lynda didn't do !!!); For Aaron, Mr. Intel, Musing of Apathy, Copperbadge and Lord Dwar that contributed to make this site the BEST at what it does, even if for a little while.

      To all of you, if you would all stop writing tomorrow and just kept with your lives (please don't!!!), even then, I would have to say:

      My most sincere and respectful THANK YOU.

      Thadius Zho AKA João Bento
      Back to lurking in the shadows again.
    • Robin Zetterberg

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 16, 2010
          Another lurker delurking just to say "Yeah! Well said and written!"

          Thanks for the stories and your time. I'm be around, lurking and waiting for, whenever you feel like to share.

          Cheers,
          Clauda

          --- In fanficauthors@yahoogroups.com, João <ThadiusZho@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > To all of you, if you would all stop writing tomorrow and just kept with your lives (please don't!!!), even then, I would have to say:
          >
          > My most sincere and respectful THANK YOU.

        • Roman Kirillov
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 18, 2010
            Well yes, I second it (or third it, or fourth it, or whatsoever). If I don't like a fic — that's all simple, I don't read it and neither I post negative reviews. Don't understand why others can't do it the same way.

            Cheers,

            Best regards,
            Roman A. Kirillov
            http://www.sigizmund.com

          • anna.starlight@gmx.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 18, 2010
              I second that with all my heart. You guys are the best!!! I love your stories and thank you sooooo much for sharing with us.

              Anna

> [...]
              > problems, continues to grace us with a thick plot and interesting twists; For
              > Keith and Dorothy, for the fluff and the "stuff" (you know which is
              > which); For Lynda, who invented fifty different ways for Harry to end up in the
              > Hospital Wing; For Kokopelli, who created a story that tells the tale of a
              > young boy with boy problems, instead of the story of a young wizard; For
              > Lady Alchymia, that invented a new way for Harry to be hospitalized (that
              > Lynda didn't do !!!); For Aaron, Mr. Intel, Musing of Apathy, Copperbadge and
              > Lord Dwar that contributed to make this site the BEST at what it does, even
              > if for a little while.
              > >
              > > To all of you, if you would all stop writing tomorrow and just kept with
              > your lives (please don't!!!), even then, I would have to say:
              > >
              > > My most sincere and respectful THANK YOU.

            • ghanima_atreidies
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 18, 2010
                As yet another lurker on the site;
                I know that I don`t comment nearly as often as I should, however simply writing "Excellent, Thank you!" seems a bit cheap. It's wonderful to hear someone write what I couldn't do myself.

                So to the authors, thank you for the work you put in to your writing. It is very much appreciated.

                Cheers
                ghani