Re: [fanficauthors] Drawbacks with the new site

  • Jim Trigg
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 15, 2009
      On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 06:09:59AM -0800, josh fanfic wrote:
      > I've got all three cookies -- passhash, fs, and ff. All of these
      > change appropriately when I change one of the keys -- font size,
      > typeface, or my password. I also get prompted to modify cookies, so
      > that much is all working fine.
      > It seems like some parts of the site _do_ honour the fs cookie (the
      > font size jumped to 14pt on Bobmin's section), while others don't
      > (Kokopelli's dropped back to standard).
      > None of the sections seem to honour the ff cookie.
      > Just to make things more interesting, if I change the settings while on
      > Kokopelli's page, the fs then becomes honoured. It still ignores ff,
      > though.
      > Sorry I can't be more insightful for you.

      I have a partial answer -- for some reason, on my Linux system (which,
      as I finally discovered, does *not* have a Palatino Linotype font),
      setting the font to Palatino Linotype gives a serif font on the settings
      page but nowhere else (and not on the settings page if you go back
      later). Setting to Georgia or Times New Roman (both of which my system
      has) works flawlessly.

      Jim
      --
      Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else O- /"\
      \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 17, 2009

        Can you do me a favour and give me a couple of urls of those that do and those that don't.  It's possible that there are other things affecting it, and if I can see the problem, I can fix it... (he said hopefully)

        So I've been tinkering, trying to find patterns of reproducibility.  In short, not much luck on my side.

        I've tried viewing the site in the following browsers:

        FF 3.5 / Linux x86-64 / FC12 or Ubuntu 9.10
        FF 3.5 / Mac OS X.5
        Safari / Mac OS X.5

        I actually do get slightly different behaviors, but the consistent pieces are these:

        1) the main author listing page (www.fanficauthors.net) doesn't honor the size or the font style cookies.  (Speaking of which, why are account options not available on that page?)

        2) I can get the font size to take effect, but not the font face _except_ Georgia and Monotype, beyond the default, which is odd.  Based on the other post regarding having fonts locally, I do have a Georgia font installed, but not a Monotype.  I have Times New Roman installed, too, and that one doesn't work.  In general, I have about 75% of the fonts installed that match name-for-name.

        3) As an aside, on any of the "safe" fanficauthors pages, when you click More Authors, you get the subset of 4 authors in that category, not all the site authors.  That's a bit backwards relative to the other authors and how the link works (showing all).  The only way to get all authors listed again is to click on the hidden link on the FFA.net banner.  Is this intentional, oversight, or . . . ?

        Thoughts?  Or just carry on and forget about it?

        One thing I miss about the old code is that I could get the entire author update grid on my screen at one time.  With the new site, the templates and font sizes and whitespace use make it outright impossible.  That's one of the big reasons I keep trying to make this work.

        Thanks!
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 22, 2009
          > 1) the main author listing page (www.fanficauthors.net) doesn't honor the size or the font style cookies.  (Speaking of which, why are account options not available on that page?)

          Right... that may be because it has the wrong div id - I'll look into that.

          It's not had the account features, because in the end, the page is
          just a hack. However, a lot more people seem to use it than I
          thought, so maybe it is time to have a look at it. Adding the user
          features would be easy enough (just a case of adding the module).
          It's times like this that I wish I was more of a designer.

          > 2) I can get the font size to take effect, but not the font face _except_ Georgia and Monotype, beyond the default, which is odd.  Based on the other post regarding having fonts locally, I do have a Georgia font installed, but not a Monotype.  I have Times New Roman installed, too, and that one doesn't work.  In general, I have about 75% of the fonts installed that match name-for-name.

          I think I'm going to need to rewrite the whole font stuff. It clearly
          isn't fit for purpose, so I'll do some research and see what I can
          come up with.

          > 3) As an aside, on any of the "safe" fanficauthors pages, when you click More Authors, you get the subset of 4 authors in that category, not all the site authors.  That's a bit backwards relative to the other authors and how the link works (showing all).  The only way to get all authors listed again is to click on the hidden link on the FFA.net banner.  Is this intentional, oversight, or . . . ?

          It's actually always been that way - a little unbalanced. Basically,
          some of the NSNS authors were unhappy with the page linking to non
          NSNS authors. They wanted to ensure that kids could click around with
          a degree of safety.

          > One thing I miss about the old code is that I could get the entire author update grid on my screen at one time.  With the new site, the templates and font sizes and whitespace use make it outright impossible.  That's one of the big reasons I keep trying to make this work.

          I had to increase the height because some of the authors were using
          incredibly long names, and I wanted to add a couple of links. As I
          said above, it's probably time for some sort of redesign on the
          homepage.

          Tim
        • josh fanfic
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 22, 2009

            It may not be related, but Bobmin's latest chapter of Mutant Storm has all the headings as strikethrough . . . which is a bit odd.  The prior chapter doesn't do that -- I just checked.

            Is this a problem with his upload, my display, or the underlying font headaches?

          • Harry
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 22, 2009
              It also doesn't have a printer friendly mode and you can't changethe font size.

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 23, 2009
                It doesn't need one -as it uses @print in the css.

                Yes you can.