Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

185EPUB Support

Expand Messages
  • Tim Joy
    Jan 21, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      After a few days' worth of hacking (well, a couple of hours a day),
      I've added EPUB support to Fanficauthors.net.

      From wikipedia:
      EPUB (electronic publication; also sometimes ePub, EPub, or epub) is a
      free and open e-book standard, by the International Digital Publishing
      Forum (IDPF). Files have the extension .epub. EPUB is designed for
      reflowable content, meaning that the text display can be optimized for
      the particular display device. The format is meant to function as a
      single format that publishers and conversion houses can use in-house,
      as well as for distribution and sale. It supersedes the Open eBook
      standard...

      In a more open language, it's a way of displaying stories on iPhones,
      Android, and other mobile devices, including a load of the new
      ereaders. it isn't, however, supported by Kindle, that uses a
      proprietary format.

      While I've tested it as much as I can, there still may be problems -
      especially as I don't have a device capable of reading them. I've
      tried one of the examples on O'Reily's Bookworm, and run quite a few
      of the archives through the epubcheck tool. As such, there is a beta
      flag next to the download link. I don't normally like doing this, but
      being unable to do rigourours testing of anything other than creation
      and validation, there's not much else I can do.

      Irritatingly, the major problem I had was creating the container, as
      the mimetype file has to be both the first file in the archive, and
      NOT COMPRESSED. The zip software I was using was compressing the
      file, and debugging it was a pain in the rear. Second problem was the
      actual xhtml itself. In order for FFA.net to be as compatible in it's
      base form as possible, I deliberately use things like the bold tag,
      rather than a style="" attribute. The xhtml, of course, required the
      opposite, so some playing around was required.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic