150Re: [fanficauthors] Drawbacks with the new site

  • josh fanfic
    Dec 17, 2009

      Can you do me a favour and give me a couple of urls of those that do and those that don't.  It's possible that there are other things affecting it, and if I can see the problem, I can fix it... (he said hopefully)

      So I've been tinkering, trying to find patterns of reproducibility.  In short, not much luck on my side.

      I've tried viewing the site in the following browsers:

      FF 3.5 / Linux x86-64 / FC12 or Ubuntu 9.10
      FF 3.5 / Mac OS X.5
      Safari / Mac OS X.5

      I actually do get slightly different behaviors, but the consistent pieces are these:

      1) the main author listing page (www.fanficauthors.net) doesn't honor the size or the font style cookies.  (Speaking of which, why are account options not available on that page?)

      2) I can get the font size to take effect, but not the font face _except_ Georgia and Monotype, beyond the default, which is odd.  Based on the other post regarding having fonts locally, I do have a Georgia font installed, but not a Monotype.  I have Times New Roman installed, too, and that one doesn't work.  In general, I have about 75% of the fonts installed that match name-for-name.

      3) As an aside, on any of the "safe" fanficauthors pages, when you click More Authors, you get the subset of 4 authors in that category, not all the site authors.  That's a bit backwards relative to the other authors and how the link works (showing all).  The only way to get all authors listed again is to click on the hidden link on the FFA.net banner.  Is this intentional, oversight, or . . . ?

      Thoughts?  Or just carry on and forget about it?

      One thing I miss about the old code is that I could get the entire author update grid on my screen at one time.  With the new site, the templates and font sizes and whitespace use make it outright impossible.  That's one of the big reasons I keep trying to make this work.

      Thanks!
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic