Re: potty training

  • Jessica
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 18, 2005
      --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, "justannae kirby"
      <justannae@y...> wrote:
      > I probably shouldn't admit this, but here goes:
      > To begin with, Junior was born with necrotizing entrocolitis
      (gangrene
      > of the bowel). Surgery and an enormous amount of antibiotics saved
      his
      > life, but, we were told that the way the surgeons had to cut him,
      he
      > would never be toilet-trained. He was 2 days old.
      > Well, as some of you may have experienced....Junior deveoloped a
      > liking for spreading....feces. Everywhere, including
      himself.....and
      > one night he came in and crawled into bed with me and .....decided
      > should wear some of it too. I jerked that boy up out of that bed
      and
      > marched him into the bathroom, made him strip as I set up the
      shower.
      > He started laughing, and not just a couple of grunts, either. I
      spun
      > around and tapped him with my fingertips on his forehead- right
      about
      > his hairline. Not hard mind you, just a tap to distract
      him....well,
      > he plopped his butt down on the toilet...and...then I heard little
      > water splashes and Junior spread his knees and was looking into the
      > toilet- laughing. I went over and looked in the toilet, too, and
      > after the initial SHOCK, I started laughting too. He proceeded
      on to
      > the shower, afterwards he put on a clean pull-up and went to bed.
      The
      > next morning he was dry. The whole day- he went to the bathroom on
      > his own- and stayed clean and dry. This went on for a week. Then
      one
      > day, I hopped the metro bus and went to Wal-Mart and bought 12
      pairs
      > of BVDs..I actually enjoyed the trip, still do....and his feces
      > painting stopped. He was 14 years old.
      > NEVER GIVE UP......IT COULD HAPPEN WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT.

      Congratulations im so happy for you and your family. I'm in the
      process of stopping my son from "painting" his fecees. At times i
      thought i did it, but then again it starts all over again. But im
      not giving up- i want to celebrate 4th of July just as i did the
      summer of 2002 when coby was almost 4 and took his first steps.
      Jessica
    • RM
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 19, 2005
        Our Angel,Erich, is 11 now and just starting to get the idea of going
        poop in the toilet. He does urinate if you put him there.
        I have found with milestones, such as walking,drinking from a straw,
        not hitting kicking and slapping, all are accomplished with time.
        Erich has matured so much this past year that we compare it to a
        growth spurt. He has changed that much. His teachers at summer school
        are amazed he hasn't kicked or hit once yet and he actually goes to
        the bathroom when they take him there. It really is a good feeling
        and you see that there is light at the end of the tunnel
        Just hang in there. I believe things will get better.
        Robin

        --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, "Jessica"

      • sunnyrooroo
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 20, 2006
          Hello, this is a guestion for all you veterans out there? Is there
          light at the end of the tunnel conserning potty training? My daughter
          is almost seven and she is just getting the idea that the toilet is
          for going to the bathroom and not a cool water toy! Although if left
          to her own devices it will still remain a cool water toy!=-)
          She has had alot of sucessful bathroom trips in the past year although
          it is still hit and miss. In fact the majority of the time she goes
          then rips her diaper off and races to the bathroom! But she always
          gets and A for effort!
          It don't mind changing her diaper, I have become quite the pro but I'm
          hoping that someday I'll be able buy her her first package of Barbie
          underwear!
          Any good advice?
          Thanks,
          Laura
        • pld_39_2000
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 20, 2006
            --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, "sunnyrooroo"
            <sunnyrooroo@...> wrote:

            > Hello, this is a guestion for all you veterans out there? Is
            there
            > light at the end of the tunnel conserning potty training? My
            daughter
            > is almost seven and she is just getting the idea that the toilet
            is
            > for going to the bathroom and not a cool water toy! Although if
            left
            > to her own devices it will still remain a cool water toy!=-)
            > She has had alot of sucessful bathroom trips in the past year
            although
            > it is still hit and miss. In fact the majority of the time she
            goes
            > then rips her diaper off and races to the bathroom! But she
            always
            > gets and A for effort!
            > It don't mind changing her diaper, I have become quite the pro but
            I'm
            > hoping that someday I'll be able buy her her first package of
            Barbie
            > underwear!
            > Any good advice?
            > Thanks,
            > Laura

            Hi Laura, My angel, Clint, is 12. We are still in diapers. The
            best we can do is a schedule. It works pretty well, but we still
            have to wear the diapers. He does go or at least try when we take
            him, but can't go by himself. Now the difference for us is Clint
            does not walk by himself. Good luck. We always have hope. Patty
          • Alpha & Omega Christian School
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 20, 2006
              My Kaylea is 15yr old, she now fully understands the bathroom concept, as long as we are at home, or school, no accidents not even at night, but it seems when away from home, we have frequent accidents, I keep kaylea in overnight pullups 24/7, I have tried the underwear, but its like she don't want them, or she just dont understand because even when we are home she will say diper (diaper) and whin until she gets a pullup, but potty training issues did implove about 11 or 12 yrs old for us

              sunnyrooroo <sunnyrooroo@...> wrote: Hello, this is a guestion for all you veterans out there? Is there
              light at the end of the tunnel conserning potty training? My daughter
              is almost seven and she is just getting the idea that the toilet is
              for going to the bathroom and not a cool water toy! Although if left
              to her own devices it will still remain a cool water toy!=-)
              She has had alot of sucessful bathroom trips in the past year although
              it is still hit and miss. In fact the majority of the time she goes
              then rips her diaper off and races to the bathroom! But she always
              gets and A for effort!
              It don't mind changing her diaper, I have become quite the pro but I'm
              hoping that someday I'll be able buy her her first package of Barbie
              underwear!
              Any good advice?
              Thanks,
              Laura

              Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled equipment Family vacation special

            • Susan Hawk
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 20, 2006
                Our Isabella is 5 (and a half) and she is just getting
                the hang of potty training. She does well most of the
                time even over-night, but she does still have
                accidents sometimes. My boyfriend and I like to use
                pull-ups just in case, but her Mom doesn't want us to
                use them, just panties.
                This is off this subject and just a general question
                to you all, but do you think maybe a lot more kids
                have AS then they think? I sometimes wonder about
                that, since doctors seem to know so little about it
                that it gets misdiagnosed as other things. I am
                starting to wonder if it's not as rare as they seem to
                think it is?? Sue

                <debsgold2@...> wrote:

                > My Kaylea is 15yr old, she now fully understands the
                > bathroom concept, as long as we are at home, or
                > school, no accidents not even at night, but it seems
                > when away from home, we have frequent accidents, I
                > keep kaylea in overnight pullups 24/7, I have tried
                > the underwear, but its like she don't want them, or
                > she just dont understand because even when we are
                > home she will say diper (diaper) and whin until she
                > gets a pullup, but potty training issues did implove
                > about 11 or 12 yrs old for us
                >
                > sunnyrooroo <sunnyrooroo@...> wrote: Hello,
                > this is a guestion for all you veterans out there?
                > Is there
                > light at the end of the tunnel conserning potty
                > training? My daughter
                > is almost seven and she is just getting the idea
                > that the toilet is
                > for going to the bathroom and not a cool water toy!
                > Although if left
                > to her own devices it will still remain a cool water
                > toy!=-)
                > She has had alot of sucessful bathroom trips in the
                > past year although
                > it is still hit and miss. In fact the majority of
                > the time she goes
                > then rips her diaper off and races to the bathroom!
                > But she always
                > gets and A for effort!
                > It don't mind changing her diaper, I have become
                > quite the pro but I'm
                > hoping that someday I'll be able buy her her first
                > package of Barbie
                > underwear!
                > Any good advice?
                > Thanks,
                > Laura

                > Family cruise special Learning disabled
                > Disabled equipment Family vacation special

                > to:

                > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                > removed]

              • r sonstegard
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 21, 2006
                  I do think it is not as "rare" as they think. I live within 100 miles of at least 8 families with a child diagnosed with Angelman syndrome with a few other farther away.

                  Becky mom to Ali-4

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 21, 2006
                    Wow! That really is a lot of families. I know of one
                    other family in our area with an AS child, but you
                    never know how many kids diagnosed as autistic or with
                    cerebral palsy might end up really being AS kids. Sue