Feeding

  • Jennifer Posey
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 4, 2005
      Hello All

      When Christopher was a baby and I first started table food to him he loved it. He would eat until his little belly was about to pop. Then he started to slack off he would still eat pretty well for me but I would have to make him eat such as holding his arms and pulling his face to the spoon. About 5 months ago is when it got really bad, he's been sick a lot but even when he gets feeling better he still won't eat even if I try to force it he'll spit it out or take it out by hand. He is supposed to start a school in August but I'm scared that they won't take the time to make him eat and they'll tell me I have to get him a G tube. Question everyone that has a child with one how bad are they? Did your child gain any weight with it? Why did he/she get one? How old was your child when they got it? Well I'll let everyone go. Please write any comments that ya'll have on the g tubes.

      Jennifer, Christopher, Brianna

    • Monica Yalan Chang
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2005
        Sorry for my English, I don't understand what is g tube? what is it for?
        My daughter is 3.3 years old, she loves to eat, but now is summer and she doesn't eat much during lunch, but in the afternoon, she will eat a lots! In the pre school, she has a teacher who will fellows her and look after her, so she will trys to help her to put more food,. She is around 97 cm high and 15 kgs, so it is normal in her class, but consider she eat so much, she doesn't put too much weights.

        Natasha's mom

        Jennifer Posey <jposey83@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Sue Harris
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2005
          -
          Jennifer,

          You said Christopher has been sick lately, has he had strep? Has
          your dr recommened a feeding tube? Sounds like you are very
          frustrated with his eating, have you tried softer foods, Pedisure,
          smoothies? My Teagan, has a terrible time gaining weight so I
          fortify everything....Pediasure with Ovaltine, smoothies with
          banana, peanut butter and chocolate and ovaltine. Whole milk
          yougart, high calorie ice cream etc. Try not focusing on the
          amount of food he's eating - since you know he's not eating much,
          increase the calories in what he does and will eat. You might ask
          your doctor for a appetite stimulant too. Good luck- and God
          Bless, Sue and Teagan

          -- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Posey
          <jposey83@y...> wrote:
          > Hello All
          >
          > When Christopher was a baby and I first started table food to him
          he loved it. He would eat until his little belly was about to pop.
          Then he started to slack off he would still eat pretty well for me
          but I would have to make him eat such as holding his arms and
          pulling his face to the spoon. About 5 months ago is when it got
          really bad, he's been sick a lot but even when he gets feeling
          better he still won't eat even if I try to force it he'll spit it
          out or take it out by hand. He is supposed to start a school in
          August but I'm scared that they won't take the time to make him eat
          and they'll tell me I have to get him a G tube. Question everyone
          that has a child with one how bad are they? Did your child gain any
          weight with it? Why did he/she get one? How old was your child
          when they got it? Well I'll let everyone go. Please write any
          comments that ya'll have on the g tubes.

          > Jennifer, Christopher, Brianna

        • Justannae Kirby
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5, 2005
            We ran into the same prob. with Junior, but for
            different reasons- no g-tube, but he did have a
            colostomy bag for a while. I was concerned he wasn't
            getting enough when his weight gain was slow if any at
            all between visits to the doctor. A nurse's
            "suggestion" turned out to be the answer- Feed Less
            More Often. Forget that proper 3 meals a day idea,
            and offer some thing every couple of hours. (At
            20yrs- 5'tall and 115 lbs-and incredibly healthy),
            Junior still eats every 2-3 hours. Not a regular meal,
            just a mini version of it. It's going to look like
            next to nothing on the plate- so get a smaller plate.

            Check out this FDA link: http://www.mypyramid.gov/
            It has a chart you can fill in the age of your angel
            and their activity level(use the *less than 30
            minutes) then the program figures out just how much
            your angel needs to eat in a days time. Divide that by
            8 (meals) <7-if you're lucky enough to have a child
            who sleeps through the night>. As you can see, this
            works out to just a few bites at a time, but they're
            getting everything they need. Don't feel like you're
            going to be stuck in the kitchen all the time...dish
            up mini meals ahead of time, stack them in the
            refrigerator.
            REMEMBER: In time, you'll be able to teach your angel
            to go to the kitchen, get a meal out of the 'frig and
            heat it up in the microwave on their own. NEVER LOSE
            HOPE!!!

          • Dee Francis
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 5, 2005
              Hi Jennifer, sorry to hear Christopher is having a hard time eating. I have read the responses to your letter and they all have some great ideas. Jaime has had the same problem many times. At times she will too much and then not at all. When she was 4 years old she went through a period of not eating at all. I was frantic trying to get her to eat. She was already under weight to begin with. I used to blend up her food with some liquid in the blender until it was mushy. I put her high chair outside in the middle of the yard and I would feed her by spoon. Her attention span was very short and she was easily distracted. She was not even aware she was eating because she was too interested in all the sights to see outside. I did this a few times a day for an entire summer. Eventually she began to want to eat again. I found I just needed to get through these "phases" of not eating. Now that she is older and more feisty that little trick does not work anymore. When it
              happens now I give her shakes with milk, carnation instant breakfast, and ice cream. It is not the healthiest diet but it get me over the humps. I wish you both well, Denise.

[...]

            • Ann Watters
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 5, 2005
                In response to Jennifers question about g-tubes - Brandon got his g-tube when he was 4 mo old because he aspirated his milk. He had a swallow study done and from that moment on I could not feed him anything by mouth. I was not happy about having to have one, but he only weighed 9 lbs at the time so we all do what's best for our angels. From 4 mo to about 4 yrs old we fed him every 4 hrs round the clock by g-tube. We were only given the choice of a Mickey button or a Bard (which is hard plastic and much harder for the kids to pull out). We chose the Bard since we live 6 1/2 hrs away from the clinic and if they ever come out for whatever reason they need to be replaced within a couple of hrs. Brandon had 4 g-tubes ( the last one replaced because it was faulty) by the time we were done. His first one lasted us almost 2 yrs. You can have problems with them getting skin built up around them which you just wash off when bathing or having infections. We only had one incident of
                infection which was handled with topical cream. The g-tubes really aren't that bad. In February Brandon had his g-tube removed for good. (he just turned 6 in April) We finally made it to the point where he eats and drinks everything by mouth - he eats ALL the time but still only weighs a little over 30 lbs. They just are so active and burn up so many calories. Brandon is my 6th child and one of his older brothers ate all the time and was just as skinny so I'm not worried about that. As long as he keeps gaining and growing which he is. I was finally able to start feeding by mouth when Brandon was around 2. He didn't want anything to do with it and I was very frustrated. One of the things I realized was that he didn't want anything in his mouth unless he put it there and he had to inspect it first. I started just letting him eat with his fingers because he did much better that way than me trying to fight him and making mealtime a battle. He still eats with his
                fingers and I am trying now to introduce utensils. It's going to be a slow process just like getting him to eat was. And now he's learned how to throw a ball so mealtime is even more fun!!! Wishing you the best - Ann and Brandon, 6 yrs old AS

              • Justannae Kirby
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5, 2005
                  You know what? There's really nothing wrong with your
                  angel eating with their hands. Junior ate with his
                  hands primarily, until he was 12. He was feeding
                  himself and that's all that mattered. He's since
                  learned how to use all utensils, but...prefers "finger
                  foods", and we don't mind designing his diet that way.
                  **Just a note: There are many, many cultures,
                  throughout the world, who do not use utensils. I just
                  tell people that Junior was meant to be born in
                  another country, but on the way, stopped off here,
                  liked it and decided to stay. It's a "cultural-thing"
                  for him.

                  http://auctions.yahoo.com/