Re: [Families of Angelman Syndrome] Disciplining angels

  • debrah stokes
    Message 1 of 11 , May 22, 2005
      my daughtor is 14, and this was her worst habit, I could not find NOTHING,,, I mean NOTHING
      to curb her, and when she would pull hair, she would pull someone baldheaded, in no
      strecthing the truth, she is to be so pitite, she so strong, when she would grab someone's hair with both hands she would tighten her hands and fingers so tight, it would be pure war, she started this behavior around 2 1/2, and it began to get a little less by say 10 and now it still maybe once every 6mths so it did get better, but its like she has something about hair,

      Jennifer Posey <jposey83@...> wrote:
      Hey Everyone

      My son Christopher is 3 years old and has a problem pulling hair (not his own) When we go out I have to watch him very carefully because you never know when he gets the urge. My daughter is 15 months and Christopher started out biting her then he finally stopped that and picked up the hair pulling. I have grown accustomed to him pulling my hair and I can deal with it, but I can't let him go around other children unless I keep my eyes on him every minute. So if anyone has any advice on how to stop hair pulling PLEASE let me know.

      p.s. Kathy I live in Laurens SC do you know of any camps in my area?

      Jennifer, Christopher, and Brianna

      Kathy Leonard <candlecrazy_1999@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      I have some resources for special needs camps, what state does the angel family live in?

      Also, if the mom wants some help managing her son, she can always give me a call, i'm always more than happy to help out a parent if I can. Behaviors can be very challenging with people who have AS, we all understand that.

      Kathy

      Mom to Mandy, Angie and Rocky

      Check out the kids page for the walk a thon online donations accepted!

      http://www.justgiving.com/pfp/myangels

      For information on Angelman Syndrome please visit:

      Http://www.geocities.com/candlecrazy_1999/girlswebpage.html

    • Judith Kirby
      Message 2 of 11 , May 23, 2005
        Oh, Jennifer.....Number One...Your angel has no
        business pulling ANYONE'S hair..not his sister's, not
        a stranger's, and not YOUR'S !!!!!!! Anytime you
        catch him with his hand in or going towards someone's
        hair..grab his wrist- firmly..tightly (not tight
        enough to cripple the kid, ok?) and in a
        drill-instructors voice, tell him:
        NOT YOURS....LET GO and mean it. He will learn that
        tone, and he's not going to like it. Be consistent.
        Angels have the uncanny ability to pick-up on the
        "cause and effect" idea. Use it.

      • pam danko
        Message 3 of 11 , May 24, 2005
          My daughter Riley is 3 and she does the same thing with the hair pulling but i always tell her no dont do that it hurts and also I grab her wrist it stops her from yanking someones hair and I know that she understands because she really only pulls my mothers hair because my nother lets her so i now when she pulls hair I also tell my mom in a firm voice that this behavior is unacceptable.I think that children with angelman syndrome are not givin credot for how smart they really are just because Riley cannot talk and seems to smile and laugh at everything doesnt mean she doesnt understand actually she undrstands quite well.I actually need to thank our first neurologist she said it is very important to treat riley just like all your other children when they were at the age level that she is at because she will have serious behavior issues if you dont and she will thrive from doing all the fun things you did with them. Pam

        • Jennifer Posey

            Message 5 of 11 , May 24, 2005
              That's what I've done with my Lydia, said no firmly, and a lot of the
              time she would just smile or laugh. I did start trying to "change the
              subject" by moving her and teaching her "soft". She doesn't pull hair
              anymore, but she still loves the feel of hair and is much softer. I
              know it is all easier said than done, but the best thing for Lydia is
              changing the subject or giving her an alternative like patting my arm
              instead of pinching me, not that we have this accomplished yet!

              Maria
            • Judith Kirby
              Message 6 of 11 , May 24, 2005
                Ok..you're on the right track. This is only a
                phase...which will soon be replaced by some other
                annoying behavior...like lifting a girl's shirt to
                "see what's under there"....or putting their toes up
                against the woodwork and "edging" around the room- and
                to them -they MUST do it, they MUST. It will drive you
                crazy.
                So in the mean time, stick with it....
                And to all parents:
                Our Junior is 20. I would much rather deal with the
                behaviors of our angel than deal with the so-called
                "normal" kids. I don't have to worry that my son is
                down on the corner at the store trying to talk some
                stupid adult into buying him a Black and Mild and a 40
                oz. of Budwiser. There's no parents showing up on my
                porch wanting to know how my son is going to help
                support the BABY. I sleep at night knowing that no
                highway patrolman will be waking me up and telling me
                my son just wrapped his car around a tree.
                I'm not saying that all "normal" kids are bad. They're
                not. But the potential is there for them. Feel bad
                for their parents- if they care-they're SCARED.
                Angelman Syndrome can be seen as a blessing.......

                __________________________________
                Discover Yahoo!
              • Judith Kirby
                Message 7 of 11 , May 24, 2005
                  Oh how TRUE. Along with Angelmans, Juior is also
                  profoundly DEAF. (110 decibel loss-which means a
                  whisper to him is JACKHAMMER level to us.) We learned
                  early on that whatever you do in front of Junior,
                  better be done RIGHT, because he's apt to repeat it.
                  Which we now take advantage of. The group he's in at
                  school has a contract with some company that installs
                  underground sprinkler systems. They send the sprinkler
                  unit parts to the school and Junior's bunch puts them
                  together. Junior can whip one together like a
                  juggler. Every year his teacher brings him the first
                  unit to refresh HER on how they go together. Never
                  underestimate them.....and never allow them (or
                  yourself)to use angelman's as an EXCUSE for ROTTEN BEHAVIOR.