Sleep disorder

  • crys_19782001
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25, 2008
      My son Tyson will be 18 months old next week, he was diagnosed with
      Angelman syndrome this past March. He is only sleeping between 2 and 3
      hours a night and the same during the day, his nurologists nurse just
      informed me she doesn't think there is any medication that he can be
      given because he is so young. I have tried Melatonin, they told me to
      try liquid Gravol and Benadryl nothing is working. He is on medication
      for seizures that is supose to make him sleepy but even that doesn't
      work. Does anyone know of a medication that can be prescribed to a
      child of his age to help him (and me) get some sleep at night? Any
      suggestions are welcome.

      Thanks,

      Crystal
    • momanddad Warnock
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25, 2008
        Dear Crystal,
        Our children do not have sleeping disorders, they just,unfortunately, do not require alot of sleep. I remember this age very well and it is a very difficult time for everyone.  I would ask if he can take clonidine in a low dose (.01 mg) This has been very effective for our son, for more than 16 year. He started taking it at or about age 3. But, I recall our neurologist offering it sooner than that, but I thought I was Wonder Woman, with 4 other children, mind you, to take care of (LOL) Please ask them to see if it could be used for your son. I wish you all the best and will keep you and yours in my prayers.
        Jean

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25, 2008
          Hi Crystal
          My name is Andrea , I'm Italian.
          My son Leonardo is 22 months old and ,When he was 18 months old he didn't sleep , so the doctor told us the give him Melatonin and if it didn't work to give him a little spoon of Periactin after dinner. We have not tried the Periactrin because melatonin worked well. ,but you can ask your doctor if you can try or not Periactin.
          sorry for my English.
          bye Andrea
          My son Tyson will be 18 months old next week, he was diagnosed with
          Angelman syndrome this past March. He is only sleeping between 2 and 3
          hours a night and the same during the day, his nurologists nurse just
          informed me she doesn't think there is any medication that he can be
          given because he is so young. I have tried Melatonin, they told me to
          try liquid Gravol and Benadryl nothing is working. He is on medication
          for seizures that is supose to make him sleepy but even that doesn't
          work. Does anyone know of a medication that can be prescribed to a
          child of his age to help him (and me) get some sleep at night? Any
          suggestions are welcome.

          Thanks,

          Crystal

        • Meredith Villarreal
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 25, 2008
            My daughter Triniti was put on clonidine as well when she was 2 1/2 but I think they can be put on it a little younger if needed. I remember those sleepless nights it took me taking her into the doctor and telling him that if he did not give her something to help her sleep than he could take her home for the night because me and my husband had not slept in several months!! If I were you I would ask about clonidine as it has worked well for Triniti she now sleeps about 7-8 hrs a night.

            crys_19782001 <crys_19782001@...> wrote: My son Tyson will be 18 months old next week, he was diagnosed with
            Angelman syndrome this past March. He is only sleeping between 2 and 3
            hours a night and the same during the day, his nurologists nurse just
            informed me she doesn't think there is any medication that he can be
            given because he is so young. I have tried Melatonin, they told me to
            try liquid Gravol and Benadryl nothing is working. He is on medication
            for seizures that is supose to make him sleepy but even that doesn't
            work. Does anyone know of a medication that can be prescribed to a
            child of his age to help him (and me) get some sleep at night? Any
            suggestions are welcome.

            Thanks,

            Crystal

            Meredith Villarreal
            wife to Carlos
            and mom to
            Triniti 9/21/2003 Angelman Syndrome
            & Liliana 6/16/2007 Leigh's Disease
            froggie4309@...

          • Kristy Houston
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 25, 2008
              Hi Crystal, I have twins that will be 11 yrs in aug. and they did the same thing when they were young and it wasn't at the same time, the hours they slept. I think I was temporarily insane during that time and still a little a little crazy now. Nothing worked for me either, nothing.. It seemed like to me that when all their seizures where good and under control, they started sleeping better, but not great. I started Melatonin (200 mcg) around 4 yrs old and it seemed to help but their seizures were starting to taper off. I started sleeping with the boys when all that non sleeping started and that seemed to help. I Put a tv in with us to watch movies during these long period of times. It will get better eventually, just accept you are not going to sleep for a while and sleep when ever you get a chance. I am a Christian now and wish I was back then.

              Sincerely,
              Kristy ( Adrian and Riley 11 del+ )

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 25, 2008
                Does he sleep by himself??  Christopher never slept good, but when I moved him into my bed he slept ALL night...  This is something you could try without medicine, but only if you don't mind him being in your bed.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 25, 2008
                  Hi
                  I find the same. Dylan does sleep a lot better now he's on the time release melatonex and also Phenegan ( bit like your benadryl). He wakes up a few times but goes back off after 5 minutes. But he sleeps all night if he's in bed with me.
                  We went away for a weekend and he and I shared a bed. He fell asleep on his own about 9pm and then I had to wake him at 8.30am.But that ONLY ever happens if he sleeps with me. If you can stick the wriggling all night it might be worth it

                  Love Donna
                  Mummy to Dylan - age 2 del+
                  UK