D-Day (diagnosis day)

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2008
      Hi. I'm new here seeing as how we just got our diagnosis this afternoon.
      I am mom to two girls one 4 and one 18 months who was just diagnosed
      with angelman syndrome today. I am very grateful to find a network of
      other parents. I hope to learn alot from all of you. Thanks, Michelle
    • Wells Nicole

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2008
          Welcome! My son Devin is 7yrs and was diagnosed when he was 3 1/2 yrs. Let us know if you have any questions or just need someone to talk to. We're here for you! Natalie

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2008
            Michelle,

            I did want to let you know that there is another group angels_on_earth_2007 that is very active. I was not paying attention until after I sent the other email on which group you were emailing from. The angels on earth group was started by Donna when this group was being overrun by inappropriate spam. Either group is good and I am a member of both of them. I hope that I have not totally confused you.
            Thanks
            Nicole

            Michelle <labordoula00@...> wrote:
            Hi. I'm new here seeing as how we just got our diagnosis this afternoon.
            I am mom to two girls one 4 and one 18 months who was just diagnosed
            with angelman syndrome today. I am very grateful to find a network of
            other parents. I hope to learn alot from all of you. Thanks, Michelle

          • Karla Dostal
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2008
              Michelle,

              Welcome to the family. My son Kean is 10 years old and he was diagnosed when he was 20 months. We had known since his birth that something wasn't quite right so the diagnosis wasn't a huge shock for us.
              I have an older son named Jace who is 12 and he is a typical pre-teen.

              Please tell me about your daughter. Do you know what type of AS, she has?

              Kean has a Micro-deletion (Deletion Positive) that means he is missing a tiny part of his Materal 15th chromosome. Kean can walk with a walker and with one hand held. He has never walked on his own. He is very easy going and loves to play with toys, balls, mylar balloons. He is able to ride an adapted tricycle. He can finger feed as well as use a spoon. He has been drinking out of a sippy cup for a year now. He still has his pacifier because that is what helps him sleep through the night and keeps him from putting his fingers and clothes in his mouth. He is in the 4th grade at our local elementary school where he spends part of his day with his regular ed peers and the other part with his special needs peers. He has a wonderful one on one associate who has been with him for 6 years. Kean does have seizures but they are well controlled right now.

              Well, I think that has filled you in for now about my angel, I don't want to overwhelm you.
              Please fill free to email me privately or through the group.
              Karla & Kean 10 AS Del+
              Iowa

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 31, 2008
                Hi Michelle and Nicole, I am a member of this group but have just
                now been able to participate....Angels will do that sometimes! My
                son just completed his first case conference and will be attending
                prek next week. I would just like to say to Michelle.....hang in
                there....I remember reading mail from Nicole and other Moms with
                older children.....and that helped me so much especially that during
                the initial diagnosis. We all understand....during your ups and downs
                share them all and celebrate each with laughter and tears...

                Nicole....I remember the website Donna started but I have forgotten
                the address. when I put in angels_on_earth_2oo7 it does not come up
                with anything. I would love to touch base there as well. I was
                really glad she came up with the group and it was so much nicer.
                Please forward the info so I can reconnect. OR is it the one angels
                above and on earth???

                --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, Wells Nicole