Re: [Families of Angelman Syndrome] question about respite

  • r sonstegard
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2005
      Hello, I live in Iowa and recieve both SSI and respite. The respite is under the ILL and Handicapped Waiver. At the moment, I get up to 75 hours of respite which is for as long as I get the waiver, no matter what age. I had it lowered because I am in the process of getting a ramp put on the front of my house. The waiver is also paying for the ramp. I had to wait a very short time to get the waiver, about 2 months but have been on it for over 3 years. I had to wait for the SSI to go through until after my daughter, Alexandrianna, had been "determined eligible". This took about 7 months. I am also on a waiting list for another program that gives you a small monthly amount.
      I believe somebody mentioned diapers and in Iowa it is at the age of 4 that medicaid will pay for them. You have to get a doctor's report that says that the child has no bladder/bowel control and most likely won't. Ali turns 4 in April so that is when I will get them.

      Becky

      Ann Watters <tandawatters2004@...> wrote:

      I would like to know what other states do about respite? Also, what about SSI? We were denied SSI and our area gives respite up to age 5 and then the state is to take over. But there are too many on the state roles so we are on the waiting list. We have been on the list for about 3 yrs and probably will be for at least another year or so. In the meantime, the state gives a small quarterly fund to offset some of the expenses and we rely on insurance and out of pocket. We drive 5 hours to receive medical treatment. Thank you, Ann in Kansas

      test'; ">