RE: [Families of Angelman Syndrome] Clonodine-Calling all Angel parents!

  • momanddad Warnock
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2007
      Hi, my name is Jean, and my son is Robert. He will be 18 on February 18th and has been taking clonidine safely and VERY successfully for around 15 years now! The only change we had to make was by 0.1mg due to change in his weight. He now takes (two) 0.1mg tablets anywhere from an hour to 15 minutes before the desired bedtime. Robert has not had any adverse reactions to this med! We feel very blessed. because as you all know sleeping is not on there agenda!!!
      Best of Luck!
      Jean

      Thelma Jones <thelma443@...> wrote:
      We did clonodine from April of 05 until August 05, at first it was
      fantastic, Wyatt really calmed down, then all the sudden in mid August it
      put him in a state of psychosis, didn't sleep for 3 days and was screaming
      and crying non-stop...acted as though bugs were crawling on him, it was
      awful, so we stopped and he got back to normal. All kids are different so
      hopefully it will continue to work for you.
      Just wanted to give my experience.
      Tami

      something more.
      http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG

    • Emily Giles
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
        Hi. My son Lee is 2yrs 4mo. and he had been having
        those little seizures, just falling over, looking like
        he was just falling asleep and stuff. I don't think
        any of the docs believed that we knew what we were
        talking about. My Mom had even noticed him staring
        briefly. I had times where he would just look off to
        one side and I couldn't get his attention. He had a
        major seizure on 2 different occasions, one after he
        had a flu shot, and another one when he had the
        rotavirus...so, they thought and I was therefore
        convinced that it was only because of a high fast
        fever. Then in November he had a major seizure and 3
        days later had another! There was nothing to relate it
        to... So, the doctors decided to put him on Keppra.
        Well, the pharmacist was a nervous wreck, saying the
        dosage info didn't go down to his age. Well, his
        doctors had talked to the doctors at Vanderbilt and
        based the amount on his weight. So, we slowly worked
        our way up to 1.5 ml twice a day. The change was
        amazing! He hasn't had any other seizures.
        Occasionally, if he is feeling bad he may begin to
        look like he might have a problem....but so far, so
        good! All of the drop seizures and shaky falling over
        is gone. His therapists have been thrilled. He used to
        scoot on his butt or cruise hanging on furniture...but
        now he crawls very quickly and cruises almost able to
        let go. The pt has been focusing on transitioning from
        one piece of furniture to another and getting up to a
        standing position without having to pull up on
        something. I don't know anyone else who has had Keppra
        but especially if you have had a major seizure you
        might ask the doctor. The doctor also prescribed a
        rectal gel that is a form of valium in case he goes
        into a seizure lasting over 3 minutes before taking
        him to the ER, it is supposed to stop the seizure
        almost immediately! Hopefully, I will never have to
        find out how fast! But it is a good thing to have.
        him nap and that is why he doesn't sleep! But before
        the medication especially, if he didn't get a nap he
        would just fall over! Most of the time we only sleep
        about 5 hours max at a time. Occasionally, he will sit
        up and play quietly for awhile, but mostly he will
        wake us up for a couple of hours to play! As far as
        sleeping locations go, he was shaking the bed and
        climbing over the fence panel play areas... I was so
        afraid I might fall asleep and he would get hurt. So,
        we have put his mattress in the child's play tent! It
        has been great, until he learns how to unzip the
        zipper! Many people I have read are modifying bunk
        beds for their children, I'm guessing that will be in
        our future as well. The bit about child proofing the
        room better doesn't cut it. The only other safe choice
        as I see it is to just lay a mattress on the floor,
        otherwise you risk them falling out of a toddler bed
        and getting hurt. Then you also have something to
        climb on, the list goes on!!!! Tell me more about your
        son...it sounds like he and Lee are close in age and
        habits too!!!
        Emily

        Get your own web address.
      • SUSAN WINFREY
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
          Emily,
          I'm glad your son is doing better with his seizures. My son, just turned 2 December 6th.
          It makes me sad though, it seems the majority of the young ones can at least scoot around or crawl, mine doesn't. When he lays on his back he can get on his side and rotate his legs around to change directions and eventually will move around the floor that way. You know the way a break dancer would, but way slower. I put him in a stander and he has a walker that we try and get him to move his legs in by holding a toy to get him to come to it. I have to put a leash on it to keep any movement that he makes from going backwards. He usually will bounce and barely move his legs to puposefully get anywhere.
          If anyone has any suggestions or tips that could help, I would sure take any. He really doesn't use his arms for any movement on the floor, except to grab toys. Well, talk to you all soon, Susan (Ian's mom).

          Get your own web address.

        • Emily Giles
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
            It is interesting how you talk about him going
            backwards! Lee would always push up and back in his
            walker. By the time he started doing any of that
            though he was almost to big to use it. But I think
            many kids do that sort of thing. One of my nephews
            (with no disability I might add) crawled backwards
            half scooting until he would back up to a wall and
            couldn't go any farther and then get mad. I wouldn't
            worry, everyday Lee does something he didn't the day
            before! Other people may not see it or understand,
            even your closest friends no matter how much they want
            to. My favorite is when the therapists want to work on
            imitation or something and he will do it all day long
            at home, banging two blocks together or whatever...
            but when he is at therapy he refuses, and then when
            they try hand over hand he likes to jerk his hands
            away! I'm trying to catch some video for them because
            I know they must get discouraged, but some days its
            almost funny. Keep your chin up! People were
            constantly telling me that he would roll over or crawl
            or whatever when he got mad or tired of being on his
            belly, but he couldn't because he didn't have the
            upper body strength and also, he probably was upset
            since he couldn't hold his head up well enough to see
            when he was on his belly. One of my other favorites is
            how if I wouldn't allow him to take naps in the middle
            of the day that he would sleep through the night like
            their kids do.
            It's great to hear from someone who understands.

            === message truncated ===

            Never miss an email again!