Frustrated...words of comfort would be appreciated.

  • iamdonna42701
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
      Do any of you have days where you just feel like giving up?
      Days where you just want to run out of your house and run away as
      far as you can go before you run out of breath?
      Days where you don't have any energy to even do the dishes or
      laundry?
      Nights when you cry yourself to sleep wondering "why?"
      Do you ever wonder if your Angel will ever be able to go to the
      bathroom on his or her own or wonder if one day there will be some
      miracle cure for them? (But, you know they will always be the way
      they are)
      Do you ever get frustrated at family members, friends and strangers
      who say "Well, I think little __________ will just snap out of it.
      I think he is going to be just fine one day."
      Or when another person says "My goodness, I just don't see how you
      do it!" What choice is there really.
      I am sorry. I am not trying to depress anyone. I am just at a
      moment of frustration. I really do feel like getting up running far
      away and screaming at the top of my lungs.
      I have a good supportive family, a great boyfriend who helps me.
      But, sometimes it is all to much.
      Sometimes my chest feels heavy and I feel like I am being smothered.
      My angel will not leave my side. He is always there, on top of me.
      He even sleeps with me. I cannot go to the bathroom without him
      standing on the other side of the door hollering for me.
      I don't sleep.
      The melatonin is not working. He sleeps from 8 p.m. until about
      midnight and is up and down all night.
      I cannot sleep. I am always sleeping with one eye open in fear that
      he will get hurt, or sneak out. We have put baby gates up and all
      the other safety measures and he is so ahead of us that he can
      figure out how to get them open.

      I am so very very tired. I am so very very sad. I love him so
      much. He is my life. But, sometimes, even if it does seem selfish,
      I just want it to be about me. I just want to be alone sometimes. I
      just want to give up.

      Thanks everyone for listening. =)
    • Jennifer Posey

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
          Donna less than a year ago I wrote a very similiar letter to yours.Being the parent of any child is challenging and a parent of an angel is rewarding and exhausting all at the same time.Riley is 5 the youngest of 6 girls in my home and I am a single mom she doesn't sllep either and I am always tired she makes the biggest messes i have ever seen, breaks my favorite things. I recently talked with her neuro about these challenges and she suggested a home I was apalled. So what I chose to do is exactly what my first neuro said to do treat riley the same as I treated all the other children when they were at her mental age level.her behavior is improving dramatically i now actually lock her in her room at night with barney on the television on constant play after a week she adapted to it and there is no more crying and yelling all night long. No different really then when you teach a baby by putting them in their crib and let them have some cry time while they adapt to sleeping
          alone. One thing I really want to say though is that you aren't alone it sure as feels like you are but you aren't.There is nothing wrong with asking for help getting a sitter or simply putting your child in there room so you can regroup.I would be happy to talk with you at any time we all need a a place to vent sometimes.exchanging stories is nice too because alot of the things our children do are devastating at the moment but when the story is told they can be hysterically funny. Pam

        • melissa triplett
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
            I have a child that has angelman syndrome he is 9 years old , I feel the same sometimes I just take it day by day, its hard sometimes to deal with everything, I have finally learned how to ask for help I use to think that I could do it all by myself I have two other children that are 12 and 8 I was putting them last because they were places we couldn't go because of him I have learned that it isn't fair to not let them do things because he can't go, so thats what woke me up about having help. which has made my relationship with my kids so much better. My mom said god only gives children like bryson (as) to families that can handle it, when I first heard that I was like yeah right , because it has been a real challenge, but I love him so much , and things have become alot easier accept I use to cry alot like when my other kids were singing in the car their favorite song, and he couldn't do it with them it just broke my heart, I just would cry, but he will jump up an down,
            and scream sometimes when they are singing so I guess that is his way of him joining in, I still have moments when I see my other kids doing things that I know he will not be able to do it makes me sad , but I am thankful for the things that he can do, I always say it could be worse. so just hang in their we have to try to do our best with them and pray , and take it day by day.

            Love the Triplett Family Melissa, Phillip
            Brsyon (AS) 9 Brandon 8 Briana 12

            Jennifer Posey <jposey83@...> wrote:
[...]

          • sara good
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
              As soon as I find the time I want to reply to all of your kind emails personally but, for now I will send out a mass post to let everyone who replied to my email of frustration how wonderful you made me feel and how special I think all of you are.

              Your emails brought tears to my eyes, tears of happiness, it just feels nice, even though we correspond through email to know that you care and have so much love for everyone in the group.

              I was talking to my boyfriend last night and I said that it would be so great if we all lived within a few miles of one another-to reach out and hug one another if needed, give each other a helping hand, words of encouragement, a bottle of shampoo when your Angel has dumped it out in the bath-tub! LOL!

              But, this group is still wonderful even if we are miles apart!

              MUCH LOVE TO EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU! I really hope I have conveyed how much your powerful responses have meant to me. I read all of your emails and just had to smile all day...(even when Josh poked his thumb through his styrofoam cup of OJ at our local cafe and it went all over me) Just hearing those words of encouragement and the stories swapped from those of us who really know how it is helps immensly. Just to know you are not alone and wonderful people are having the same kind of day you have had, sharing the same fears and desires you do, just wanting at least 5 hours of straight sleep! Thank you, thank you , thank you!!!!!

              AGAIN LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!

              If there is anything I can ever do for you please do not hesitate to ask. I also have messenger so if you see me online drop me a line, my email is iamdonna42701@...-
              please feel free to contact me anytime.

            • tkfourangels
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 11, 2007
                --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, "iamdonna42701"
                <iamdonna42701@...> wrote:

                Hello,

                I was searching through the messages and saw your message. Even
                though we still don't have that dx yet I can totally relate to how
                you feel. I think everyone with extra special children feel the same
                way.

                I did want to commnet on your sleeping issues. Have you checked into
                getting a pedicraft bed? These are totally enclosed, padded canopy
                beds that zip on four sides so that the children cannot get out of
                the bed. This bed is also used for children or adults who have
                seizures and need a safe place to sleep. We are waiting on our bed
                to be approved by insurance. Our son doesn't sleep well at all
                unless he has the meletonin and sometimes not even then. We want the
                bed or his safety and ours. With children who can be a danger to
                themselves along with the rest of the family, for many these beds
                have been a God send. You could sleep knowing that your little man
                is safe.

                I hope you can get one of these beds. From the many parents I have
                heard from on these beds they wouldn't trade them for the world.

                Let me know if you need any info.

                God bless,

                Kristina

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 11, 2007
                  --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, "iamdonna42701"
                  <iamdonna42701@...> wrote:

                  Donna,

                  The posey bed is what we are getting for our son. These beds are
                  actually a bit safer than pedicraft due to the fact hat the mattress
                  if actually placed inside the canopy making the risk of entrapment a
                  non issue especially for children and adults who are low tone.

                  Hope these help,

                  Kristina

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 12, 2007
                    Awww, thank you so very much. It is really good to have this group.

                    Thank you for commenting on the sleep issues. Actually the information you have given me has really really made my day. We were searching for a bed like this. I typed "enclosed bed" and all kinds of search words on the net and all I found was the "Vail Bed" which was banned by the FDA I believe. We are looking for a bed like this so PLEASE give me more info!!!! =)

                    We have Missouri Medicaid and I am not sure that they will cover it? Is there a web address for the site...and how do I go about doing this. If you get any extra time please email me. (iamdonna42701@...) or send me a email directly and we could correspond. Any info would be so great! Thank you thank you thank you.

                    Donna =)

                    tkfourangels <TKfourangels@...> wrote: --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, "iamdonna42701"