Re: [Families of Angelman Syndrome] Aggressive impulsive behavior

  • Jennifer Posey
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
      Hey Robin my son Christopher is 4 and is the same way. Usually I can get him in time to stop any impulsive behavior but its really hard. We were at Walmart the day before yesterday and I was doing my grocery shopping and I bent down to grab something and this lady with really long hair walked by and Christopher reached out and pulled her hair. I know that it hurt and I just apologized and she was really nice about it. We're changing his seizure medicine to see if that helps. He was on the Keppra and actually he still is until we do more blood work, but they added Depakote I'm hoping that when we stop the Keppra the behavior gets better. About the Risperdal my nephew which is ADHD takes that and it doesn't help him either and if it does its only very minimal. But if you find something that works please let me know so I can check into it myself. Hope your having a good New Year.

      Jennifer mom to Christopher 4 Del+

      carangel_93 <mccswanny_66@...> wrote:
      Hi my name is Robin and I have a daughter that has a clinical diagnosis
      of Angelman. Carly is now 13 and is bigger than me. She grabs peoples
      faces, glasses, cloths or anything she can reach. She is so fast you
      don't even know that it's coming until she strikes and your bleeding.
      She also gooses people at every given opportunity!! This can be very
      embarrassing. Is there anyone out there that has had the same behaviors
      and what did you do about it? I was thinking about some sort of a mild
      traquilizer or something. I have tried risperadal but that was not
      helping so I am leary about what to try to calm her down a notch. Any
      ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks Robin

    • Jennifer Posey

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
          Robin,

          Our little angel loves to do the same grabbing and pinching. Brandon is almost 6 and SO STRONG!! I would love to know where the strength comes from. We recently went to the neurologist and he put her in a headlock. After she freed herself from him she told me she was concerned with his behavior. I understand the concerns but I also do not know what to do with it. When Brandon pinches or pulls hair we rub his arm and tell him to be nice and sometimes he will loosen his grasp. We have found that if we get excited when he does it or if someone starts to fight him he starts laughing and tightens his grip. Brandon has lifted my 22 pound younger son off of the ground by his hair before. I don't know if he does it to be aggressive, if it is sensory to pinch, or if this is his way of communicating. Brandon has also gotten pretty good at grabbing peoples stuff out of their shopping carts at the stores and putting them in our baskets. I understand the embarassment also
          because Brandon love to take purses out of shopping carts.
          Thanks
          Nicole

          carangel_93 <mccswanny_66@...> wrote: Hi my name is Robin and I have a daughter that has a clinical diagnosis
          of Angelman. Carly is now 13 and is bigger than me. She grabs peoples
          faces, glasses, cloths or anything she can reach. She is so fast you
          don't even know that it's coming until she strikes and your bleeding.
          She also gooses people at every given opportunity!! This can be very
          embarrassing. Is there anyone out there that has had the same behaviors
          and what did you do about it? I was thinking about some sort of a mild
          traquilizer or something. I have tried risperadal but that was not
          helping so I am leary about what to try to calm her down a notch. Any
          ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks Robin

        • melissa triplett
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
            I have a child that is 9 that has angelman syndrome, he loves to pull hair, pinch , bite, and throw things, that is our biggest problme, just out of the blue he will just throw something , he has hit his sister in the head with a block and we had to take her and get stitches, we tell him over and over that you can't throw things but , he just laughs and still does it.when we go out we put him in a wheelchair stroller, that relly seems to help and he loves to be pushed around we have toys hooked to it that he can play with or we will go to the toy isle and get one he can play with while we are in the store, it we didn't have the chair I don't know what would do , he has cap they paid for it , sometimes churches will help with the purchase of one, or if you have medicaid they will buy one every three years. He also is one resperdal for his behaviors w hich has help him I have read that sometimes it doesn't work , But it has helped him be calmer, like the pinching and
            biting have reduced alot, the biggest behavior is throwing things, if anybody has any suggestions leyt me know.

            Wells Nicole <knw2860@...> wrote: Robin,

[...]

          • Natalie
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
              Hi Nicole, where do you live? My son Devin is the same way. He is 6 going on 7 and he is super strong. We call him our little "Bam Bam" from the flinstones. Was just asking cause I would love to have our sons meet, would be very interesting. I live in Washington state. If there is any other families here in Washington state that would like to get together, that would be wonderful. I have yet to meet another Angel. Oh by the way.......Does any of your Angels love bread! I swear my son would only eat bread if he could. He is so funny. He goes crazy for bread.

            • Robbie Montgomery
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2007
                Oh yeah, bread and yogurt are her favorites!

                I live in Wyoming. I too would love to meet any and all families in the
                area.

                Robbie
              • Kendra
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 6, 2007
                  Hello
                  I am the big sister of an Angel that is now 22 and I'll tell you
                  that from what I saw growing up drugs are not the answer they
                  ether don't do much for them or your Angel just isn't in there own
                  head if you know what I mean. We had to treat hem like a three year
                  old for some time but fienly he grow out of it.He still bites his
                  hand when he is mad and smakes his leg or RUNNES around the house
                  syning Angry but its better than what he used to do.
                  I remmember when we were little. I didn't give hem one of my cookies
                  the next day I went to school and whill our mother was taking a
                  shower he climed the gate and went into my room and emptied every
                  thing out of my dresser,night stand,Barbie house and three boxs of
                  Barbie stuff, my trofies were in peases and so saw my closets! There
                  was NO floor to be seen. As a big sister I can give you some stores!
                  LOL(p.s.he is deff)
                  I love my little brother with all my hart and always have! I don't
                  know what I would do with out him he is like a child of my own in my
                  hart.
                  It does get better!
                  Now he likes to help in the kitchen cooking he is RILLY good at
                  baked potatos and loves cooking shows(he isn't the neatest) but he
                  loves that he made it and can eat it too!I hope this gives you some
                  insite to your Angel and maybe some ideas to help bouth you and your
                  Angel!
                  Always love your Angel they may not show it but they love you more
                  than word could say!
                  Kendra
                  --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, "carangel_93"