Aak, beds for Angel Boys?

  • nlee64
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
      My Angel, Nico, is 5 and surprised us this morning by climbing out of
      his crib and deliriously stomping through the hall and onto our bed.
      He was SO happy and we are so doomed. If Nico knows he can get out of
      the crib without hurting himself, we are in deep doo doo (probably
      literally - lol.) No more sleep in our house.

      Others here must have Angels who wouldn't stay in a "big boy" bed and
      would take off on a gleeful rampage around the house.
      Last year we thought about getting one of those Vail Beds but 1) they
      got recalled and 2)Nico would have torn that sucker apart so fast.

      Anyone have any ideas on this? What do we do?!

      Thanks, --Nadereh
    • Wells Nicole
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
        Brandon did the same thing except he fell out of his crib. We took some wood and made a frame around the bottom of his crib and then dropped the mattess on the floor. It is about another 10 inches down so he is not able to get out now. That was the cheapest thing we could do. It only cost about $20 for the wood. My parents have bought a bunkbed set that my dad is going to add to and make it a big twin sized enclosed bed for Brandon since he is getting way to long for the crib.

        Nicole, mother of Brandon age 5

        nlee64 <nlee64@...> wrote: My Angel, Nico, is 5 and surprised us this morning by climbing out of
        his crib and deliriously stomping through the hall and onto our bed.
        He was SO happy and we are so doomed. If Nico knows he can get out of
        the crib without hurting himself, we are in deep doo doo (probably
        literally - lol.) No more sleep in our house.

        Others here must have Angels who wouldn't stay in a "big boy" bed and
        would take off on a gleeful rampage around the house.
        Last year we thought about getting one of those Vail Beds but 1) they
        got recalled and 2)Nico would have torn that sucker apart so fast.

        Anyone have any ideas on this? What do we do?!

        Thanks, --Nadereh

      • sara good

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2006
              This is the first time I've responded to this group, our family
              lives in Northern California and we have three boys Kaleb (10),
              Zackary ( AS del +, 6) and Jacob (3). I belong to the angelman
              listserve on the internet...which has been a HUGE support network
              for me ever since Zackary was diagnosed a week after his 1st
              birthday. ( If any of you are not aware of the listserve I can give
              you instructions on how to join)

              But in response to Nadereh's bed dilemna :) Our son Zack is 6...and
              I'm quite embarrassed to say he is STILL sleeping in a crib....in
              the next month we are FINALLY going to make the leap to a big boy
              bed...but for us Zackary has never been able to climb out of his
              crib...he sleeps wonderfully ( that's probably why we dragged our
              heals in transitioning thus far) BUT our other two sons share a
              room...and a bunk bed, and ever since our youngest started sleeping
              on the bottom bunk ( and using a rail guard) Zackary has been
              climbing up on Jacob's bed and sometimes if he's really tired during
              the day will actually fall asleep there. For awhile he wouldn't
              know how to get down off the bed...but a few weeks ago he finally
              managed to figure it out.

              For awhile my husband and I had been talking about purchasing
              another bunk bed and adapting it ( doing a full enclosure) but from
              meeting other families over the years who have their children in
              regular beds and have had success with it I think we are going to
              TRY and do a regular bed with a built in rail.( and then change his
              door to a dutch door with a lock on the outside ( for safety) ..so
              I'll let you all know how it goes...it may end up with Zackary
              climbing out and banging on his bedroom door keeping all of us
              up...thus having to go the enclosed route...or it may just work ( I
              hope!!)

              Anyway...this message was a lot longer than I had meant for it to
              be :) but one of the moms on the listserve had put together a page
              on her website with photo's of beds that parents have used with
              their kids ( hospital enclosed beds, adapted beds, specially made
              beds) so at least this will give you some idea of the options out
              there :)

              http://www.angeland.org/Angelbeds/

              Hope this helps,

              Stacie

              --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, momanddad Warnock
              <momanddad28@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              > we were fortunate enough to get an enclosed bed by another
              company other than Vail, I honestly cannot remember the name but,
              they too have "outlawed" them!! It such a blessing to have a safe
              and secure place to have our angel at nighttime, he sleeps all night
              and has for many years (he is 18) I know there is a woman on here
              that had a bed made for her son or grandson, his name is Dante.
              Maybe if she sees this, she will post the picture of it again.
              > good luck,
              > Jean
              >
              > sara good <iamdonna42701@...> wrote:
              > Hi, my name is Donna and my angel is Joshua. He is 3. He
              has learned how to climb out as well and I am wondering the same
              thing? If you get any response please let me know. =) Thanks.

              > nlee64 <nlee64@...> wrote: My Angel, Nico, is 5 and surprised us
              this morning by climbing out of
              > his crib and deliriously stomping through the hall and onto our
              bed.
              > He was SO happy and we are so doomed. If Nico knows he can get out
              of
              > the crib without hurting himself, we are in deep doo doo (probably
              > literally - lol.) No more sleep in our house.
              >
              > Others here must have Angels who wouldn't stay in a "big boy" bed
              and
              > would take off on a gleeful rampage around the house.
              > Last year we thought about getting one of those Vail Beds but 1)
              they
              > got recalled and 2)Nico would have torn that sucker apart so fast.
              >
              > Anyone have any ideas on this? What do we do?!
              >
              > Thanks, --Nadereh

            • Justannae Kirby
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 6, 2006
                Our Junior, 21, has put us through the Bed Blues.
                He didn't like his bassinette, because he couldn't see through the sides (he's deaf), and startling him only made the ataxia worse, but he would sleep on the floor. We moved to a reg. crib....that was a joke...he shook the bolts loose within a month, but he would sleep on the floor. We got a hospital crib, he figured out how to flip over the top and ride the side rails like a fireman, and he slept on the floor. We got him a twin bed with a side rail, the next morning, we found the side rail dimantled and dangling through the window screen...he was asleep....on the floor. Later, we got him a commercial "hotel" bed. He turned it into a trampoline, shot the springs through the cover, giving himself two really nasty scars, and he would sleep on the floor.
                Well, a few years back, I gave up. I rode the Metro out to WalMart, went into the sporting goods dept., and bought him a SLEEPING BAG, and he sleeps on the floor.

              • SUSAN WINFREY
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 11, 2006
                  Hello,
                  I'm not quite at that point yet but I sure appreciate all of the bed examples. My boy will be 2 in December and he's not walking yet but I do like to gather info ahead of time. Thanks so much, Susan

                  Hi,

                  <momanddad28@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  > we were fortunate enough to get an enclosed bed by another
                  company other than Vail, I honestly cannot remember the name but,
                  they too have "outlawed" them!! It such a blessing to have a safe
                  and secure place to have our angel at nighttime, he sleeps all night
                  and has for many years (he is 18) I know there is a woman on here
                  that had a bed made for her son or grandson, his name is Dante.
                  Maybe if she sees this, she will post the picture of it again.
                  > good luck,
                  > Jean
                  >
                  > sara good <iamdonna42701@...> wrote:
                  > Hi, my name is Donna and my angel is Joshua. He is 3. He
                  has learned how to climb out as well and I am wondering the same
                  thing? If you get any response please let me know. =) Thanks.

                  > nlee64 <nlee64@...> wrote: My Angel, Nico, is 5 and surprised us
                  this morning by climbing out of
                  > his crib and deliriously stomping through the hall and onto our
                  bed.
                  > He was SO happy and we are so doomed. If Nico knows he can get out
                  of
                  > the crib without hurting himself, we are in deep doo doo (probably
                  > literally - lol.) No more sleep in our house.
                  >
                  > Others here must have Angels who wouldn't stay in a "big boy" bed
                  and
                  > would take off on a gleeful rampage around the house.
                  > Last year we thought about getting one of those Vail Beds but 1)
                  they
                  > got recalled and 2)Nico would have torn that sucker apart so fast.
                  >
                  > Anyone have any ideas on this? What do we do?!
                  >
                  > Thanks, --Nadereh

                • zooksandi
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 9, 2006
                    --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, "Stacie"
                    <ssvetterli@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > his crib and deliriously stomping through the hall and onto our
                    > bed.
                    > > He was SO happy and we are so doomed. If Nico knows he can get
                    out
                    > of
                    > > the crib without hurting himself, we are in deep doo doo
                    (probably
                    > > literally - lol.) No more sleep in our house.
                    > >
                    > > Others here must have Angels who wouldn't stay in a "big boy" bed
                    > and
                    > > would take off on a gleeful rampage around the house.
                    > > Last year we thought about getting one of those Vail Beds but 1)
                    > they
                    > > got recalled and 2)Nico would have torn that sucker apart so
                    fast.

                    > > Anyone have any ideas on this? What do we do?!
                    > >
                    > > Thanks, --Nadereh

                    > > Hi Stacy, i am interested in joining the angelman listserve,
                    could you please let me know how to join? Thank you! I really need
                    the support of others ,,,,Sandi

                  • bty980340
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 10, 2006
                      --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, "zooksandi"
                      <airheads6@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > out
                      > > of
                      > > > the crib without hurting himself, we are in deep doo doo
                      > (probably
                      > > > literally - lol.) No more sleep in our house.
                      > > >
                      > > > Others here must have Angels who wouldn't stay in a "big boy"
                      bed
                      > > and
                      > > > would take off on a gleeful rampage around the house.
                      > > > Last year we thought about getting one of those Vail Beds but
                      1)
                      > > they
                      > > > got recalled and 2)Nico would have torn that sucker apart so
                      > fast.
                      > > >
                      > > > Anyone have any ideas on this? What do we do?!
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks, --Nadereh

                      > > > Hi Stacy, i am interested in joining the angelman listserve,
                      > could you please let me know how to join? Thank you! I really need

                      We have a darling little angel called Amelia, she is 9 yrs old. On a
                      positive note Amelia has been in a bed since the age of 2, we bought
                      her a pine bed and cut the legs off really low, but to start off
                      with we just slept her on a mattress on the floor and then
                      introduced the bed after a few weeks.it was nt unusual to see her
                      out of it in the morning, but now after many years, she just puts
                      herself back to bed, as unless we hear her upsetwe dont go into her,
                      she can play or lays there laughing and will eventually go back to
                      sleep. However(latest prob) shes now started to bang on her door
                      with her toys which you can imagine keeps the whole house awake.
                      Elaine
                    • momanddad Warnock
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 10, 2006
                        I am so excited to report that we also saw the beds that had been adapted to keep our angels safe. I wrote that the bed our son is in is no longer available, but because he is 18, has grown out of a twin sized bed. I went on the www.sleepsafebeds.com website and found our new bed!!! They actually offer full size bedding, we are so excited. and can't wait until Roberts new bed arrives. He had been in his other bed for 15 years, and served him VERY well!!!!!! It should be here in about a week and I will be sure to report on how he takes to it, I think he is just going to LOVE it! We had been looking for more than a year and because of the great group of people who write in, we have hopefully found a great new bed for Robert.
                        Jean

                        <airheads6@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > >

                        > > > Hi Stacy, i am interested in joining the angelman listserve,
                        > could you please let me know how to join? Thank you! I really need
                        > the support of others ,,,,Sandi

                        > >Hello
                        We have a darling little angel called Amelia, she is 9 yrs old. On a
                        positive note Amelia has been in a bed since the age of 2, we bought
                        her a pine bed and cut the legs off really low, but to start off
                        with we just slept her on a mattress on the floor and then
                        introduced the bed after a few weeks.it was nt unusual to see her
                        out of it in the morning, but now after many years, she just puts
                        herself back to bed, as unless we hear her upsetwe dont go into her,
                        she can play or lays there laughing and will eventually go back to
                        sleep. However(latest prob) shes now started to bang on her door
                        with her toys which you can imagine keeps the whole house awake.

                      • fronkfam
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
                          Jean,

                          I have also looked at these beds. Can you give me an idea of how much
                          they cost? How has it been working for you?

                          Thanks,
                          Teri Fronk

                          <momanddad28@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > > they
                          > > fast.

                          > > could you please let me know how to join? Thank you! I really need
                          > > the support of others ,,,,Sandi

                          > > >Hello
                          > We have a darling little angel called Amelia, she is 9 yrs old. On a
                          > positive note Amelia has been in a bed since the age of 2, we bought
                          > her a pine bed and cut the legs off really low, but to start off
                          > with we just slept her on a mattress on the floor and then
                          > introduced the bed after a few weeks.it was nt unusual to see her
                          > out of it in the morning, but now after many years, she just puts
                          > herself back to bed, as unless we hear her upsetwe dont go into her,
                          > she can play or lays there laughing and will eventually go back to
                          > sleep. However(latest prob) shes now started to bang on her door
                          > with her toys which you can imagine keeps the whole house awake.

                        • momanddad Warnock
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 4, 2007
                            Teri,
                            First let me apologize for not writing sooner, I just haven't had time to get to the computer lately!

                            Anyway, the bed we purchased for Robert has arrived and is amazing, he loves it and it has been such a blessing, because of Roberts size I have not been able to change his clothing or diaper anywhere but on the floor, and that was starting to do a job on my back! Because it is a full size bed, he can stay right in bed and I can get him ready for the day or bedtime! In between has been great too!
                            Robert has both state insurance and private insurance for his medical needs. The bed was approved thru MA and are now waiting to see the end result. His pediatrician wrote a wonderful letter, expressing his need for the bed. I am not concerned with the cost, because he is well covered by insurance. I pray that you also have good insurance, because the bed was almost 9,000 dollars. I will try to post a picture for everyone, not really sure how to, but I am sure my older children will be able to help me!
                            Also, we do still have Roberts other bed, what state do you live in? We would love to pass on his bed, it is still like brand new. Let me know! You can email me at momanddad28@...

                            Jean