My mom says i may have to send my daughter away

  • klyngraham
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2004
      my daughter is 4 and is del + she was diagonsed at 20 moths.
      she has been going to pre-school has learned to walk w walker and
      says a few words-dadda. but this next year is her last year at pre-
      school and i have a year to figure out where the best place is for
      her to go. do i send her to kindergarden or there is a class at her
      current school for autistic kids or as my mom says do i have to send
      her away?

      any advice or suggestions would be really appreiated thanks
    • Melody Loyd
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2004
        klyngraham <klyngraham@...> wrote:
        my daughter is 4 and is del + she was diagonsed at 20 moths.
        she has been going to pre-school has learned to walk w walker and
        says a few words-dadda. but this next year is her last year at pre-
        school and i have a year to figure out where the best place is for
        her to go. do i send her to kindergarden or there is a class at her
        current school for autistic kids or as my mom says do i have to send
        her away?

        any advice or suggestions would be really appreiated thanks

        What area are you living in ,I'm in houston,and my daughter has been in too wonder school districts. They have the school you just have to look into they.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Kathy Leonard
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2004

          This is a really difficult question to answer on the internet, but here goes!

          If Julia does well in preschool the next step would be kindegarden. Hopefully your district does inclusion well. Does she have a 1:1 aide in her preschool class? If so, you should be able to send her to kindegarden with the same supports. I would ask whoever it is that is your contact person all your options, sending her away from school would be the last option.

          Maybe it would help to contact your state rep for AS and ask them what they do for school. Districts and states vary so much in what they have to offer.

          And, think of what you would like the school program to offer for her. My kids go to a school just for disabled children. They concentrate on activities of daily living when they are young, and then work on writing, pre voc. skills and community integration as they get older.

          Did this give you any direction or just confuse you more? Hope this helped some

          Kathy
          Mandy 11yrs. ube3a, Angie 6yrs. ube3a, and rocky 2yrs ube3a

          Warren, MI

          Http://www.geocities.com/candlecrazy_1999/girlswebpage.html