Help with brushing teeth

  • Meena Ramesh
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2006

      I have a hard time brushing my 2yrs old angel. He is very defensive when I put the brush on his teeth as well as doesn't understand/know when asked to spit after brushing.

      Can angel moms/dads/grand moms share their experience and give me some suggestions on this topic?

      Thanks.

      -Meena.

    • josie jarvis
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2006
        Meena,
        My four year old is the same way, but what i have done with her was i let her play with the tooth brush and while i'm brushing them say"there they are" for some reason it made it better and she's not so defensive. also i get her the toddler tooth and gum cleanser that is safe to swallow. like your little angel she just doesn't understand to spit.
        god gave me my angel krystal,
        josie

        Meena Ramesh <meenachocks@...> wrote:
        Hi,

        I have a hard time brushing my 2yrs old angel. He is very defensive when I put the brush on his teeth as well as doesn't understand/know when asked to spit after brushing.

        Can angel moms/dads/grand moms share their experience and give me some suggestions on this topic?

        Thanks.

        -Meena.

        Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled equipment Family vacation special

      • Thelma Jones
        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2006
          I use the spinning kind of toothbrush...my son likes the feeling.

          >From: josie jarvis <htmommy2005@...>
          >To: familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Families of Angelman Syndrome] Help with brushing teeth
          >Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 13:00:43 -0700 (PDT)
          >
          >Meena,
          > My four year old is the same way, but what i have done with
          >her was i let her play with the tooth brush and while i'm brushing them
          >say"there they are" for some reason it made it better and she's not so
          >defensive. also i get her the toddler tooth and gum cleanser that is safe
          >to swallow. like your little angel she just doesn't understand to spit.
          >
          > god gave me my angel krystal,
          >
          > josie
          >
          >Meena Ramesh <meenachocks@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I have a hard time brushing my 2yrs old angel. He is very defensive when
          >I put the brush on his teeth as well as doesn't understand/know when asked
          >to spit after brushing.
          >
          > Can angel moms/dads/grand moms share their experience and give me some
          >suggestions on this topic?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > -Meena.

          > Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled equipment
          >Family vacation special

          >---------------------------------

        • JENNY CHIPPINDALE

              Message 6 of 19 , May 4, 2006
                Hello Everyone,

                Thanks for sharing your experience and suggestions regarding 'brushing the teeth'. I will try them and let you know how things go.

                Thanks.

                -Meena.

              • momanddad Warnock
                Message 7 of 19 , May 4, 2006
                  Meena,
                  Our son is 17 and has been seeing a pediatric dentist since he was the age of 3. I recommend you find a good dentist, it will be important to get your daughters teeth cleaned every six month. It can definitely be done with alot of patience and encouragement. We also use a oral B rotating toothbrush, extra soft bristles. We use childrens toothpaste and dip that in Crest mouth rinse, It has been working wonderfully, he just got an excellent report at the dentist, Brushing Roberts teeth also takes patience and alot of imagination. I find laying him on the floor and gently sitting on him (no pressure on his tummy) with his hands tucked in so he can't help me!!! His is getting better and better with the tolerance of the brush, probably as good as it is going to get! He knows we love him and would never hurt him.
                  Hope this helps and best of luck to you with your little angel right here on earth!

                  Jean, Roberts mom of 17 years!!!!!

                  PS
                  We also use those surgical gloves when brushing his teeth, to help keep the germs down!!!

                  Meena Ramesh <meenachocks@...> wrote:
                  Hello Everyone,

                  Thanks for sharing your experience and suggestions regarding 'brushing the teeth'. I will try them and let you know how things go.

                  Thanks.

                  -Meena.

                  Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled equipment Family vacation special

                • kathy sandoval
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 17, 2006
                    Thanks for all the advice. I have to tell you that the duct tape idea that one of the parents sent me has worked so far. However, I'm sure Ms. Laura will figure out a way out of it eventually. I'll get back with all of you then to see what else has worked for other parents as the kids get older.

                    Thank you all for all the advice.

                    thelma443 <thelma443@...> wrote:
                    I just logged on and read this, here is what I did, there is a
                    web-site called Farm Fleece or Fleece Farm, I ordered leggings and
                    they had bike shorts as well. They fit really snug, especially around
                    the ankles and waist. They had all colors, I ordered black for my son.
                    Even in the summer time my son has to have the bike shorts on under
                    his shorts because he won't stay out of the diaper.
                    We recently also had all the pockets of his jeans sewn shut as well,
                    this helped lots.
                    Hope it helps ;0)
                    Tami

                    --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, Wells Nicole
                    <knw2860@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > One suggestion that I was given was to buy a leotard to put on
                    under the pajamas. I have not tried this yet but my son loves nothing
                    more to take off his pajamas and diaper(yes we know what a mess that
                    is). I have tried to find plain leotard's that have no print so I can
                    put them under his clothes during the day but I only seem to be able
                    to find pink and ones with girly patterns that will not work for HIM!
                    > Thanks
                    > Nicole and Brandon
                    >
                    > Deborah Ramirez <djaneram@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > Kathy <kibsand@...> wrote: Hello Everyone,
                    > I'm writing for some creative advice on what to put my niece Laura (7
                    > yrs old ) to sleep in.
                    >
                    > My sister in law has tried the one piece PJ's with the zipper on the
                    > back ( gets out ) .. tried to tie a ribbon on the front to keep the
                    > zipper from coming down ( ripped the holes ) .. can't use 2 piece PJ's
                    > because she will take her clothes off and shred her diaper ( you all
                    > can imagine the mess ) .. The only suggestion she's been given is to
                    > put Laura to sleep in jeans tied with a belt. That really seems
                    > uncomfortable however she is Houdini and manages to escape all other
                    > clothing gadgets her mom has come up with.
                    >
                    > Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
                    >
                    > Kathy
                    >

                    > Hi Kathy,
                    > I have Jacob in cotton shorts and shirts. We sewed the shirt to
                    the shorts and put a zipper in the back. the zipper is just long
                    enough to put in his arms. We have had pretty good luck with them. We
                    had put Jacob in those one piece pajamas with the long zipper, that
                    was a fiascal. He was out of them in no time at all. just a thought.
                    > Good luck!!!!!
                    > Deborah, mom of Jacob, Gabriel, and Elijah(angels)

                    > Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled
                    equipment Family vacation special

                    Service.

                    Service.

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 18, 2006
                      Kathy,

                      I have to tell you that Robert is now 17 and has not yet escaped the duct tape, and we too have always thought of him as our own little houdini!! As I said earlier, we haven't had to use it in some time, but will share with you that two mornings ago, I went in and there was his bare bottom!!! Yah just gotta love 'um!! That hasn't happened in a very long time, he must have been bored!! Hope it continues to work and give that little angel a kiss from one angel to another!!
                      Jean, Roberts mom!

                      <knw2860@...> wrote:

                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > One suggestion that I was given was to buy a leotard to put on
                      under the pajamas. I have not tried this yet but my son loves nothing
                      more to take off his pajamas and diaper(yes we know what a mess that
                      is). I have tried to find plain leotard's that have no print so I can
                      put them under his clothes during the day but I only seem to be able
                      to find pink and ones with girly patterns that will not work for HIM!
                      > Thanks
                      > Nicole and Brandon
                      >
                      > Deborah Ramirez <djaneram@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > Kathy <kibsand@...> wrote: Hello Everyone,
                      > I'm writing for some creative advice on what to put my niece Laura (7
                      > yrs old ) to sleep in.
                      >
                      > My sister in law has tried the one piece PJ's with the zipper on the
                      > back ( gets out ) .. tried to tie a ribbon on the front to keep the
                      > zipper from coming down ( ripped the holes ) .. can't use 2 piece PJ's
                      > because she will take her clothes off and shred her diaper ( you all
                      > can imagine the mess ) .. The only suggestion she's been given is to
                      > put Laura to sleep in jeans tied with a belt. That really seems
                      > uncomfortable however she is Houdini and manages to escape all other
                      > clothing gadgets her mom has come up with.
                      >
                      > Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
                      >
                      > Kathy
                      >

                      > Hi Kathy,
                      > I have Jacob in cotton shorts and shirts. We sewed the shirt to
                      the shorts and put a zipper in the back. the zipper is just long
                      enough to put in his arms. We have had pretty good luck with them. We
                      had put Jacob in those one piece pajamas with the long zipper, that
                      was a fiascal. He was out of them in no time at all. just a thought.
                      > Good luck!!!!!
                      > Deborah, mom of Jacob, Gabriel, and Elijah(angels)

                      > Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled
                      equipment Family vacation special

                      Service.

                      Service.

                      Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled equipment Family vacation special

                    • Karen Newman
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 19 8:06 PM
                        All I did was put one piece pjs on backwards with a safety pin stuck in the zipper , with a one-piece on as well, backwards. Clonodine works best when it comes too sleep. Sorry so short. Busy.
                        Karen

                        kathy sandoval <kibsand@...> wrote: Thank you all for your suggestions

                        I told my sister in law about the ideas and she'll start implementing them tonight. I'll let you guys know what works. I thought about a scuba suit but we were told that might not work for sleeping since they are made to hold in body heat and should not be worn for that many hours. Someone mentioned a pressure suit. What exactly is that and can it be used for sleeping ?

                        Susan Hawk <sulyharn@...> wrote:
                        We tried using pins at one point with Isabella but she
                        pulled so hard that pins would pop open. Then she'd be
                        laying in bed with an open safety pin poking at her,
                        so that didn't work for us!! She usually doesn't try
                        to remove her diaper, just her PJ's so we have a
                        mattress warming pad in our bed. We keep the bed warm
                        and let her sleep in just her diaper, as that's what
                        she seems to want to do anyway!! Sue