Re: [Families of Angelman Syndrome] New Member many ???'s

  • bobbie toole
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2006
      Sara,
      I think you need to ask for a different OT, she is not going to do you any good with that attitude. Both Kye and Jase have PT, OT, and Speech T and not one of those gals would want to stop just because the boys don't pay attention. I don't know very many Special needs kids that have a very long attention span. Kye is 3.5yrs old, and Jase is 2.5yrs old, Kye started to crawl at 1yr and walked at 2yrs, Jase on the other hand-crawled at 6 months and walked at 1yr. Kye doesn't say any words, and Jase bables all the time and can say at least 5 words we can understand. Each kid has their own time schedule and they will start doing thing in their own time. Do not let that OT quit on Sabrina, she will start doing things in her own time, it just take a good person to work with our kids to help them to reach their goals. Kye's very first goal was to sit up by himself, didn't do that till he was 10 months old, but he did and has progressed every since. Jase will feed himself, but we
      still have to feed Kye, but Kye has learned to suck out of a straw so he is learning something everyday. I know I just ramble on, but I don't want you to give up on Sabrina learning to do things because of that OT that wants to quit. Write if you have any more questions.

      Bobbie, grandma to Kye, and Jase, both Angels

      sarabellemunoz <sarabellemunoz@...> wrote:
      Hello my name is Sara and i have a daughter name Sabrina with AS. She
      was diagmosed 1year ago. I have so many questions. She does not walk
      yet but walks with help of one hand. But she tends to fuss after a
      short while. What should I do. She does not communicate wth any
      gesters how should i start to show her. The OT at school wanted to
      stop theraphy at our last IEP because she said Sabrina was not paying
      attention. Her tention spam was of a 6month old. So how does tach how
      to do simmple task. That was her argument. I live in Montebello,
      California. Thanks

    • Kathie Norris

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 16, 2006
          Hello Sara
          Katie is right find another theraphist. Same thing happen to my
          son cobyJake. His speech theraphist wanted to discontinue, saying
          Coby had a "very short attention span" and service will be of no
          use. We told the everyone in our IEP meeting that you can't deny a
          child because of their attention span. we also told them to find
          another method of communication then signing. He is 7 now, and
          using "Pegs". I told them to start his session at 3 minutes at a
          time then when he can tolerate it to move it to 5 minutes. He can
          now sit for 10 minutes and at times 15 minutes. But with another
          therapist. She is really great and so is his OT. He can also pull up
          and down his pants, and is feeding himself 50% of the time. When we
          first started CobyJake was 18 monnts old with a cognitive level of 6
          to 9 months old. he was not walking, rolling over, crawling, or
          holding his own bottle. He is now walking and just last month
          started drinking from a regular cup. He stop drinking from the
          bottle at 3 yrs. and can nod "yes" and "no" for wants and needs.
          Please don't let them stop your services. It really helps.
          Good Luck & welcome to the group
          Jessica & angel CobyJake Galendez

          --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, Kathie Norris
          <skac1234@...> wrote:

          > Hello Sara
          > don't let them stop her therapy, if her attention span is at 6
          months, then thats where the therapy should start and then work from
          there. My Andy (who just turned 6) had such a slow start at the
          beginning of formal therapy, they said he had the cognative age of 6-
          8 months old, but with therapy he has come so far. If your
          therapist is not willing to adjust to Sabrina's cognative
          level...get another therapist. Its tough...we had gone through 2
          before we found our gems (and thats only counting the speach) and
          then we were blessed and found Easter Seals who truley help Andy
          make leaps and bounds in his progress. I don't know if your IEP in
          California is the same as in Florida but I would expect so. Because
          Sabrina needs the therapy I don't believe the therapist can take it
          away just because she isn'ts "paying attention". Good luck to
          you....and Welcom to the site...(I'm new here too)......Kathie mom
          to Andy

          > sarabellemunoz <sarabellemunoz@...> wrote:
          > Hello my name is Sara and i have a daughter name Sabrina with
          AS. She
          > was diagmosed 1year ago. I have so many questions. She does not
          walk
          > yet but walks with help of one hand. But she tends to fuss after
          > short while. What should I do. She does not communicate wth any
          > gesters how should i start to show her. The OT at school wanted
          > stop theraphy at our last IEP because she said Sabrina was not
          paying
          > attention. Her tention spam was of a 6month old. So how does
          tach how
          > to do simmple task. That was her argument. I live in Montebello,
          > California. Thanks

          Service.