Re: [Families of Angelman Syndrome] Re: any suggestions for a bed?

  • bobbie toole
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 16, 2006
      Thankyou, I will look forward to seeing them.
      Bobbie

      wanda coletta <wandacoletta@...> wrote:
      I will post pictures once the bed is done. We are hoping in the next couple weeks. I cant believe your son sleeps with your grandsons. I cant imagine trying to sleep with my angel! I am not sure of your sons story, but I have read a couple of your posts and realize your son is raising 2 angels by himself, and alls I have to say is GOD BLESS HIM! He gives me inspiration!

      bobbie toole <sandylot_2@...> wrote: I would love to see pictures of the bed when it is done. Maybe I could have my father-in-law build the boys some beds, so they could quit sleeping with their Dad.

      Bobbie, grandma to Kye age 3.5, and Jase, age 2.5-both Angles

      wanda coletta <wandacoletta@...> wrote:
      I know this reply is a little late, but Im hoping I can help! I have been trying to find a bed for my 3yr old angle for quite some time and there is nothing available. I worked with my neighbor who is an architect and we came up with a design for a nice enclosed bed. Construction is underway and should be done in a few weeks. I told him when it is finished he should patent it, get it safety approved and sell them. If you want I can email you pictures when we are finished.
      Wanda mom to Dante 3yrs

      Alpha & Omega Christian School <debsgold2@...> wrote:
      My child is 15, I have tried everything, to keep her in her room, but the only thing that works for me is, i would put two pottergates up, on top of each other, now this worked untill she figured out how to escape. now we turned her doorknob around with the lock in the hall, we went to sams purchased the little tv with a security camara, i purchased her a queen bed although she is tiny, tiny, it gives her room to roll and sling her self around, i also put a daybed in my room and i have a deadbolt on my bedroom door, so on bad days we can reroute , I have looked in the past for a "cagebed" but never could find one, you know some folks who don't understand our children, but its really a life and death situation, kaylea if unatteded would go out a door, turn on the stove, eat EVERYTHING in the kitchen, for example our own experience, one night i was in the tub kaylea was in her room, UNLOCKED, i did not see her sneek past the door she had gone in the kitchen put pudding cans of soup,
      cans of green beans in the microwave and girl it sounded like a gun going off , the indivisual puddings were popping open like popcorn, the door fFLEW OFF the microwave, the pudding went everywhere, scared me to death, but not only could the house have caught fire , but there was pudding cups and cans flying everywhere and the door..........i tell ya my kaylea is something ealse, she's my heart

      jdmyers0206 <jdmyers0206@...> wrote:
      --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, "J.W. Archer"
      <ditchlicker_2000@...> wrote:

      > Hi everybody!
      >
      > I haven't written in ages. Guess it gets a little sad
      > reading about Lennon's condition everyday. I have a
      > problem. My daughter just turned 4 and up till now
      > have been using a playpen with extra padding for her
      > but she's getting too big for it. I've searched the
      > net and came up with only one "cage" from england. I
      > remember once someone wrote about Vail beds, but it's
      > since gone out of business. Any suggestions would be
      > greatly appreciated!
      >
      > John and Lennon
      >

      > My daughter is now 9. When she was five she got to big for her
      baby bed so we bought a big sold wood bunk bed. We made sure that
      the sides were coverd so she could not climb out then we had one of
      our friends make a wooden gate that we screwed onto the front of the
      bunk bed that had a gate in the middle so i could lock it at night.
      This worked great until a year ago i took it apart and she now
      sleeps on a twin bed. We leave her tv on all night. but when you
      say night night she stays in her room until i go get her in the
      morning. i hope this helps

      > Find your next car at http://autos.yahoo.ca

      Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled equipment Family vacation special

      Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled equipment Family vacation special

      Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled equipment Family vacation special

      Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled equipment Family vacation special

      Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled equipment Family vacation special

    • Kathy
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 20, 2006
        Hello Everyone, My name is Kathy and I have a 7 year old niece who
        is a precious Angel. Her name is Laura.
        Just as someone else wrote, my sister in law and her husband also
        bought a bunk bed and had wood bars added all around it to keep
        Laura in her bed. On the front end they had barn door type gate put
        up with locks so that they can keep her in her bed at night.
        However, she has collapsed the bed several times and will sometimes
        kick the gate doors long enough that she begins to break the locks.
        Just a couple of weeks ago my sister in law and I were trying to be
        creative with ways to keep Laura in her bed, in her room, and away
        from anything where she can get hurt. I would love to be able to see
        pictures of the bed that is being constructed ...
        Our main concern at this point is keeping Laura safe .. I will write
        more with her story later and hopefully get her parents to join as
        well.

        --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, bobbie toole
        <sandylot_2@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > since gone out of business. Any suggestions would be
        > > greatly appreciated!
        > >
        > > John and Lennon
        > >

        > > My daughter is now 9. When she was five she got to big for her
        > baby bed so we bought a big sold wood bunk bed. We made sure that
        > the sides were coverd so she could not climb out then we had one
        of
        > our friends make a wooden gate that we screwed onto the front of
        the
        > bunk bed that had a gate in the middle so i could lock it at
        night.
        > This worked great until a year ago i took it apart and she now
        > sleeps on a twin bed. We leave her tv on all night. but when you
        > say night night she stays in her room until i go get her in the
        > morning. i hope this helps

        > > Find your next car at http://autos.yahoo.ca

        > Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled

        Service.

        > Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled
        equipment Family vacation special

        Service.

        > Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled
        equipment Family vacation special

        Service.

        > Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled
        equipment Family vacation special

        Service.

        > Family cruise special Learning disabled Disabled
        equipment Family vacation special

        Service.

      • JENNY CHIPPINDALE
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 21, 2006
          The best thing I found for my child was that we put her in an all-in-one pj that was done up from the back so that she could not pull her nappy off or whatever, so we knew she was always warm and where ever she slept on the bed was ok - her bedroom door was cut into 3/4 so we locked her in but we could peer over to monitor her, and her bed room window we put up metal bars and painted each bar in bright colours so that fresh air could still enter. They will always be in mischief if drawers or cupboards are accessible, so keep locks on these items. Hope this helps. Jenny

          Kathy <kibsand@...> wrote: Hello Everyone, My name is Kathy and I have a 7 year old niece who

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 22, 2006
            Thanks Jenny.
            With Laura the one piece pj's helped for a while with no problem.
            Then she had to start wearing them with the zipper in the back so
            she wouldn't take then off. As she's grown though we've had a harder
            time here in Florida finding her one piece "footsie" PJ's.
            We discovered that the dresser had to come out of her room a few
            weeks ago when Laura managed to tip her dresser over on top of
            herself and pinned herself under it. Fortunately, she only got a
            scratch on her nose but she scared everyone really bad. It's a
            really heavy dresser. My sister in law and her family just moved
            into a house and they are basically having to customize her room.
            The dresser is out along with anything else that she can climb on
            top of .. the shelfs are running a few inches below the ceiling as
            if they were planter shelves, the closet has been converted into a
            California closet and there's locks on the doors so she can't get
            into the closet. And, they will be cutting the door to make it a
            barn style door. We all try to put our heads together and come up
            with ways to modify her surroudings to keep her safe. That was my
            main reason for joining the group .. Sometimes we just can't come up
            with creative ideas that will meet up to the challenges that Laura
            gives her parents and teachers on a daily basis.

            --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, JENNY CHIPPINDALE

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 23, 2006
              What a lovely sister-in-law you are - to so such care and concern towards your niece is wonderful. I don't know where in the world you are, but here in Australia once the disabled child reaches 16 years of age they are entitled to a wheelchair and one of those plastic hospital mattresses because the child can go on a pension. Go without a bed and put the mattress on the floor so the AS child cannot fall out of bed, only large playing type toys in the bedroom eg. Fisher Price toys. Even if the pj is a summer type have it as a short/tshirt type of jumpsuit with the zippper at the back - I mean all Angelman children are a Houdini in some way or the other - as I said "A devil dressed in an Angel disguise". Even though they are the 'apple of our eye' we must have them safe and protected 24hours. Sascha does enjoy sleeping in now - appropriately like a teenager - till about 9.00am Sat. and Sun. When she does come home I do hop into bed with her so she will fall asleep. I will gently
              scratch her back until she falls asleep and I sneak out or otherwise I end up staying all night, because I am totally exhausted. Anyway if I can help in anything please do not hesitate to write. Take care Jenny

              Kathy <kibsand@...> wrote: Thanks Jenny.