Hi, new here

  • Jamie
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
      My name is Jamie, I have two kids, Amber who will be 5 in August and
      Jacob who will be 3 later this month. We live in Georgia. I am
      hoping to find a doctor that is knowledgeable about A.S. in the
      area, if anyone knows of one I would LOVE to know! Right now we know
      that Amber has most of the symptoms of AS but we haven't had her
      tested yet, I'm waiting to get in her neurologist. I have an appt
      scheduled for June 11, I just hope they take me seriously when i go
      there. Sometimes doctors dont like for the parents to suggest
      something...they have huge egos or something.

      Amber at this point, has no diagnoses other than dev. delay. They
      say that all her tests are normal, ct, mri..etc... When she was two
      I had a doctor say CP but since then other's have said no, it's not
      cp. The only thing abnormal with her mri was that she has delayed
      myelin, but the docs say that that really isn't a big deal. I have
      heard that lots of kids with angelman syndrome have delayed myelin
      too. Amber at this point, can not sit unassisted, she has no
      balance, she uses a stander for weight bearing, she is trying to
      crawl but she doens't do it like normal...she puts her head on the
      ground and her hands behind her back and gets up on her knees. she
      does the hand flapping, she is in constant motion, she has had
      surgery for strabismas, she has tight heel cords which she wears
      afo's for. The back of her head is kind of flat, she had kidney
      reflux and gastroesophagel reflux both..has resolved...the kidney
      reflux resolved around 18 months, and the gastro..resloved around 2-
      3 years old. She doesn't talk but babbles, she seems to understand
      more things than she can express, she LOVES water, i think bathtime
      is one of her favorite things along with swimming. There are so
      many more things that she has but I've already written a lot lol!
      Anyway, i look forward to getting to know you all
    • Kathy Leonard
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
        Hi Jamie

        welcome to the list! Have you been to the national ASF site? When you become a member you recieve a list of professional's in your state. I looked on my list and didn't see any Dr's in Georgia. However, the ASF's site also has state contacts you can call. Alot of times they are helpful in finding Dr's that are knowledgable. Many times they will refer you to their Dr.

        If this doesn't work i can do some checking and see what is in your area,, if anything.

        Talk soon

        Kathy
        Mandy 11, Angie 5, Rocky 2 years old,

        Http://www.geocities.com/candlecrazy_1999/girlswebpage.html

      • Jamie
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
          I'll look there and see what I can find. Thank you for the welcome
          and the info! :)

          --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Leonard