Pre-Bedtime Crazies!!

  • Maria
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 28, 2006
      I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their
      child. About 6:00 p.m. Lydia seems like her body gets so electrically
      charged, almost like she was going to have a seizure. This goes on
      for about 2-3 hours. She's not bouncing off the walls, she just can't
      hardly sit, can't stop talking, she pinches and scratches, but not
      because she's trying to be mean, it seems like she's not sure what to
      do with herself. I am just wondering if this is some sort of seizure
      activity or something else. It has been going of for a couple of
      months, but just became clear to me as to what exactly was going on a
      couple of weeks ago. If your child has experienced this, have you had
      an eeg done to see if there is any irregular activity going on during
      this time? We did try and do an overnight sleep study, thinking it
      was something else, but she didn't sleep! (Duh!) She has been seizure
      free (as far as we know) since she was 18 months old.

      Maria, wife, mother to Lydia and her 5 siblings!
    • Susan Hawk
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 28, 2006
        My boyfriend's 5 year old Isabella, who we suspect has
        AS but no diagnosis as yet, is a lot like that. When
        she knows it's bed time she screams, runs, rolls
        around, and gets super agitated almost. When we get
        her in bed she won't lay still, stands up and jumps up
        and down on the bed, pinches and pulls hair and is
        just plain wild. Once she is in bed for awhile (and
        this may be as much as an hour later) she seems to
        wear herself out and she'll relaxes enough to go to
        sleep. She is not typical AS in that once she is
        asleep she almost always sleeps thru the night, but
        getting her to sleep is almost always a big episode.
        From Sue

        --- Maria <mkwiscombe@...> wrote:

        > I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced
        > this with their
        > child. About 6:00 p.m. Lydia seems like her body
        > gets so electrically
        > charged, almost like she was going to have a
        > seizure. This goes on
        > for about 2-3 hours. She's not bouncing off the
        > walls, she just can't
        > hardly sit, can't stop talking, she pinches and
        > scratches, but not
        > because she's trying to be mean, it seems like she's
        > not sure what to
        > do with herself. I am just wondering if this is
        > some sort of seizure
        > activity or something else. It has been going of
        > for a couple of
        > months, but just became clear to me as to what
        > exactly was going on a
        > couple of weeks ago. If your child has experienced
        > this, have you had
        > an eeg done to see if there is any irregular
        > activity going on during
        > this time? We did try and do an overnight sleep
        > study, thinking it
        > was something else, but she didn't sleep! (Duh!)
        > She has been seizure
        > free (as far as we know) since she was 18 months
        > old.
        >
        > Maria, wife, mother to Lydia and her 5 siblings!

      • Karen Newman

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 29, 2006
            hello, Well this is the first I've written in I just added Ian (deletion positive) 13 months old, to the group. Well right now he does seem to get extra tired and unable to calm down in the evenings, I think he's just over tired so when he does this, and I know everything is alright, (you know not hungry, hurting, etc.) I wrap Ian up in a big blanket, well swaddle him like you would an infant and put him in his bed with the mobile on, a lullaby c.d. (which I keep on all night on repeat), and put a binky in. He calms down and goes to sleep. I know he is a lot younger but I didn't know if you could use any of this info for an older child. Susan
            --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, Karen Newman <daridakn@y...> wrote:

            > This is what I call their last "wind". They just can't calm their bodies down sometimes. What I do is turn the lights down low, say, "shhhh" and "it's ok", and hold them very, very tight. This is called "deep pressure". Angels suffer from Sensory Integration Disorder, and deep pressure and being confined calms them. Even though they may toss and turn and scream at first, it usually eventually works. Also afterwards a good foot rub with lotion works as well.
            > Karen
            >
            > Maria mkwiscombe@c... wrote:
            > I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their
            > child. About 6:00 p.m. Lydia seems like her body gets so electrically
            > charged, almost like she was going to have a seizure. This goes on
            > for about 2-3 hours. She's not bouncing off the walls, she just can't
            > hardly sit, can't stop talking, she pinches and scratches, but not
            > because she's trying to be mean, it seems like she's not sure what to
            > do with herself. I am just wondering if this is some sort of seizure
            > activity or something else. It has been going of for a couple of
            > months, but just became clear to me as to what exactly was going on a
            > couple of weeks ago. If your child has experienced this, have you had
            > an eeg done to see if there is any irregular activity going on during
            > this time? We did try and do an overnight sleep study, thinking it
            > was something else, but she didn't sleep! (Duh!) She has been seizure
            > free (as far as we know) since she was 18 months old.
            >
            > Maria, wife, mother to Lydia and her 5 siblings!

          • Thelma Jones
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
              We too have this nightly, but a few months ago I started making my son lay
              in my arms and I hold him tightly and cover him up with a blanket within a
              few minutes almost always he is out, like a log..his test they say were
              negative but I know he has AS! He was diagnosed very early with SID.
              Now it is like clock work, when he is ready for bed he comes right to me and
              crawls up in my lap. My hubby and I kid around, what will we do when he is
              way older, right now he is just 7. ;0)

              Tammy

              >From: Karen Newman <daridakn@...>
              >To: familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [Families of Angelman Syndrome] Pre-Bedtime Crazies!!
              >Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 23:04:17 -0800 (PST)
              >
              >This is what I call their last "wind". They just can't calm their bodies
              >down sometimes. What I do is turn the lights down low, say, "shhhh" and
              >"it's ok", and hold them very, very tight. This is called "deep pressure".
              > Angels suffer from Sensory Integration Disorder, and deep pressure and
              >being confined calms them. Even though they may toss and turn and scream
              >at first, it usually eventually works. Also afterwards a good foot rub
              >with lotion works as well.
              > Karen
              >
              >Maria <mkwiscombe@...> wrote:
              > I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their
              >child. About 6:00 p.m. Lydia seems like her body gets so electrically
              >charged, almost like she was going to have a seizure. This goes on
              >for about 2-3 hours. She's not bouncing off the walls, she just can't
              >hardly sit, can't stop talking, she pinches and scratches, but not
              >because she's trying to be mean, it seems like she's not sure what to
              >do with herself. I am just wondering if this is some sort of seizure
              >activity or something else. It has been going of for a couple of
              >months, but just became clear to me as to what exactly was going on a
              >couple of weeks ago. If your child has experienced this, have you had
              >an eeg done to see if there is any irregular activity going on during
              >this time? We did try and do an overnight sleep study, thinking it
              >was something else, but she didn't sleep! (Duh!) She has been seizure
              >free (as far as we know) since she was 18 months old.
              >
              >Maria, wife, mother to Lydia and her 5 siblings!

              >---------------------------------

            • sara good
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
                I give my son who is almost 3 over the counter Melatonin. It seems to work well. But, everyone is different. I am blessed it has worked as well as it did. Before my son turned two he was up all night. And I am sure you can relate. He would take these little power naps every few hours. He would be out for maybe 15 minutes and then awake with full energy. If I did not come to him he would cry and loud. His neurologist suggested Melatonin before he started Joshua on any drugs to induce sleep. I waited for a month and gave him Melatonin nightly. It took a while for his body to regulate to the Melatonin but, now he sleeps and well. And he has been sleeping good for close to a year now. Routine is key as well. I feed him supper around 7:00 p.m. and I crush the Melatonin and slip it in his food. At 7:30 we take our bath. And at 8:00 I lay him down. He usually falls asleep within a half hour and wakes around 6:30 a.m. Now there are times he will wake up durning the night
                but, thank God he can get himself back to sleep most of the time.

                I hope this may help. Talk to your doctor about it.

                Thelma Jones <thelma443@...> wrote:
                We too have this nightly, but a few months ago I started making my son lay
                in my arms and I hold him tightly and cover him up with a blanket within a
                few minutes almost always he is out, like a log..his test they say were
                negative but I know he has AS! He was diagnosed very early with SID.
                Now it is like clock work, when he is ready for bed he comes right to me and
                crawls up in my lap. My hubby and I kid around, what will we do when he is
                way older, right now he is just 7. ;0)

                Tammy

                >From: Karen Newman
                >To: familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [Families of Angelman Syndrome] Pre-Bedtime Crazies!!
                >Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 23:04:17 -0800 (PST)
                >
                >This is what I call their last "wind". They just can't calm their bodies
                >down sometimes. What I do is turn the lights down low, say, "shhhh" and
                >"it's ok", and hold them very, very tight. This is called "deep pressure".
                > Angels suffer from Sensory Integration Disorder, and deep pressure and
                >being confined calms them. Even though they may toss and turn and scream
                >at first, it usually eventually works. Also afterwards a good foot rub
                >with lotion works as well.
                > Karen
                >
                >Maria wrote:
                > I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their
                >child. About 6:00 p.m. Lydia seems like her body gets so electrically
                >charged, almost like she was going to have a seizure. This goes on
                >for about 2-3 hours. She's not bouncing off the walls, she just can't
                >hardly sit, can't stop talking, she pinches and scratches, but not
                >because she's trying to be mean, it seems like she's not sure what to
                >do with herself. I am just wondering if this is some sort of seizure
                >activity or something else. It has been going of for a couple of
                >months, but just became clear to me as to what exactly was going on a
                >couple of weeks ago. If your child has experienced this, have you had
                >an eeg done to see if there is any irregular activity going on during
                >this time? We did try and do an overnight sleep study, thinking it
                >was something else, but she didn't sleep! (Duh!) She has been seizure
                >free (as far as we know) since she was 18 months old.
                >
                >Maria, wife, mother to Lydia and her 5 siblings!

                >---------------------------------

              • Maria
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
                  I have been wondering if the melatonin needs to build up in their
                  systems, because it didn't work the few nights we tried it. I
                  actually missed my doctor's call this afternoon! Hopefully he will
                  call back and we can discuss this more in length.

                  Thanks for the encouragement!

                  Maria

                  --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, sara good
                  <iamdonna42701@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > >because she's trying to be mean, it seems like she's not sure
                  what to
                  > >do with herself. I am just wondering if this is some sort of
                  seizure
                  > >activity or something else. It has been going of for a couple of
                  > >months, but just became clear to me as to what exactly was going
                  on a
                  > >couple of weeks ago. If your child has experienced this, have you
                  had
                  > >an eeg done to see if there is any irregular activity going on
                  during
                  > >this time? We did try and do an overnight sleep study, thinking it
                  > >was something else, but she didn't sleep! (Duh!) She has been
                  seizure
                  > >free (as far as we know) since she was 18 months old.
                  > >
                  > >Maria, wife, mother to Lydia and her 5 siblings!

                  Service.

                  > >---------------------------------

                  > Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from
                  McAfee®
                  > Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?
                  cid=3963

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • ltricblu
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
                    Our pediatrician had told us that the melatonin takes about a week to
                    build up in the system. For our son, the melatonin only works for
                    about a week after it builds up and then for some reason it stops
                    working, so we take him off of it for about two weeks and then start
                    over.

                    Nadia

                    --- In familiesofangelmansyndrome@yahoogroups.com, "Maria"