495Re: [Families of Angelman Syndrome] Feeding

  • Dee Francis
    Jul 5, 2005
      Hi Jennifer, sorry to hear Christopher is having a hard time eating. I have read the responses to your letter and they all have some great ideas. Jaime has had the same problem many times. At times she will too much and then not at all. When she was 4 years old she went through a period of not eating at all. I was frantic trying to get her to eat. She was already under weight to begin with. I used to blend up her food with some liquid in the blender until it was mushy. I put her high chair outside in the middle of the yard and I would feed her by spoon. Her attention span was very short and she was easily distracted. She was not even aware she was eating because she was too interested in all the sights to see outside. I did this a few times a day for an entire summer. Eventually she began to want to eat again. I found I just needed to get through these "phases" of not eating. Now that she is older and more feisty that little trick does not work anymore. When it
      happens now I give her shakes with milk, carnation instant breakfast, and ice cream. It is not the healthiest diet but it get me over the humps. I wish you both well, Denise.

      Jennifer Posey <jposey83@...> wrote:Hello All

      When Christopher was a baby and I first started table food to him he loved it. He would eat until his little belly was about to pop. Then he started to slack off he would still eat pretty well for me but I would have to make him eat such as holding his arms and pulling his face to the spoon. About 5 months ago is when it got really bad, he's been sick a lot but even when he gets feeling better he still won't eat even if I try to force it he'll spit it out or take it out by hand. He is supposed to start a school in August but I'm scared that they won't take the time to make him eat and they'll tell me I have to get him a G tube. Question everyone that has a child with one how bad are they? Did your child gain any weight with it? Why did he/she get one? How old was your child when they got it? Well I'll let everyone go. Please write any comments that ya'll have on the g tubes.

      Jennifer, Christopher, Brianna