Moderator's Note

  • Stephen Shields
    Message 1 of 65 , Aug 22, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      I want to thank everyone for providing me feedback on the possible
      uniquenesses and future of our group.

      It is with sadness that I let you know that after five years of moderating
      the faithmaps discussion group, I've decided to end the group. It's not a
      reflection of you; it's a reflection of me. (Wait, does that sound like
      we're breaking up??" :) )

      I have come to the conclusion that my current life situation and calling is
      such that I no longer feel that I can give moderating this group the time
      that it needs and deserves.

      What's true now that wasn't when we started in May of 2001:

      - Beth and I co-lead KatrinaGrace
      <http://katrinagrace.blogspot.com>which just decided to branch out
      into working with Habitat for Humanity in
      Slidell, LA in addition to continuing the work we're doing with Compassion
      Ministries just north of NO. By God's grace we're planning on sending a
      team a month between October 2006 and Nov 2007 to New Orleans' North
      Shore. Our church's Sunday 27 Aug service is entirely dedicated to
      KatrinaRelief. We are very excited about this work. 60 folks on 8 Teams
      have so far gone down and we're hoping to send a lot more.

      - Since April of 2005 I've been serving on my local church's
      Leadership Development Team and just a few weeks ago we launched our
      mentor/protege - workshop based process. I'm one of the Workshop
      Facilitators. We've been able to implement a lot of the transpropositional
      approaches we've developed and discussed here.

      - My writing is branching out into new areas. I just turned in a 7500
      word article for Leadership Network <http://www.leadnet.org> (watch this
      space <http://www.leadnet.org/Resources_Downloads.asp>) and they've
      hired me to write another one.

      - I continue to post to my blog almost daily.

      - And, as I've mentioned, three years ago I executed a major life
      change and intentionally began devoting less time to my online activities
      and more time to the four most important people in my life. Though the
      new computer<http://faithmaps.blogspot.com/2006/08/geekesque-from-dell-to-hp_10.html>I
      received this past Friday might challenge that commitment! :)

      - And then there's the whole full-time job with USA TODAY thing which
      really cuts into my free time. ;)

      I had been moderating while doing all of this, but I think I have needed to
      be more involved with the group, not less. I think we've seen a pattern
      where something flairs up, I jump in, try to facilitate calm, and then,
      mostly and usually, jump back out. That pattern probably isn't too
      helpful. I think the Moderator needs to be more constantly involved and I
      just don't have the time. I know a Team of Moderators (which I've seriously
      considered) would help but that still doesn't really help me keep a more
      constant presence in the group.

      And so, sometime on Friday 1 September, I plan to turn the group off. I do
      not plan to delete the group. Archives will still be searchable and
      accessible to the public as always. There is such a rich treasure store of
      posts here that I would hate to see lost.

      One day I may start another group or restart this one. But I don't know if
      that will happen.

      I don't intend not to participate in groups, just not to moderate one. So
      you'll probably see me around.

      It's my hope that the community and discussions that began here will
      continue in some context. And so one reason I wanted to give several day
      notice was to invite those on this list with other groups - or those on this
      list that wish to start new groups - to feel perfectly free to solicit
      members here during the next 9 days.

      But it is a change and it is a loss and I will miss the group that is
      faithmaps. I know there is more to say but I can't put it all into words.
      Maybe I'll be able to betw now and 1 Sept.

      Thank you all for all you've given me here. I'm very grateful. I have made
      mistakes as a moderator and you've been patient and gracious to me

      This, of course, isn't goodbye. It's just a change of season.

      blessings

      Stephen Shields
      sshields@...
      http://www.faithmaps.org
      http://faithmaps.blogspot.com
      http://katrinagrace.blogspot.com

    • Rick Presley
      Message 65 of 65 , Aug 26, 2006
        Ouch!

        I'm glad I didn't bother you, then. Sounds miserable.

        rick

        --
        rick

        www.ill-legalism.com