Re: [faithmaps] Jon Gold on 'Real Christianity'

  • Mike Stidham
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 27 12:00 PM
      While we're on the subject of blogs, here's a plan. Why don't we take the text of his contributions to fm and cross-post them into a blog dedicated for that specific purpose?
      That would:
      a) put all his wit and wisdom on one site
      b) protect those contributions should Yahoo! start lopping off archive space...

      Just a thought.

      Action Sub

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 27 4:15 PM
        Here is an inspiring post from Jon that encapsulates so much, so concisely......
        I think "real" Christianity takes place in the lives of any and all people who are serious about following the life style indicated in
        the New Testament Scriptures. That means a desire to be disciples, followers of Christ, such people will have a love for Him that is
        transforming their lives in all areas of their lives! They will be incarnating the description found in 1 John 1:7. They will have an
        active prayer life with the Lord because they want to and they desire to struggle to have it because they know they can do nothing
        without Him. They will be concerned for God's glory and His Rights over all creatures. When have you heard a sermon or even a
        discussion on God's Rights? They will give their lives away in service to Him, even where their work is secular. They will have a
        burden for lost souls that they might become saved. They will never water down the Bible but desire the Whole counsel of God, Paul's
        phrase, for their lives and for the sharing with others. To see a real Christian pastor's heart exhibited you might look at Acts 19
        and 20. Note the things that Paul did and note what he said! These are some of the defining characteristics of real Christianity.
        Here are some more. Jesus's beatitudes in Matthew 5 define in broad terms the inner attitudes and the actions that flow from His true
        followers. Jesus, in John 15 in the passage about abiding characterizes a daily necessity for real Christian being and doing.
        Paul in Ephesians 4:22-24 and Romans 12:1-3 also! The third part of the Great Comission in Matt. 28:19-20 especially verse 20! How
        many churches are obeying verse 20?

        These are a few passages that describe real Christianity.

      • Jennifer Ould
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28 5:55 AM
          On 27 Aug 2003 at 23:00, Mike Stidham wrote:

          > b) protect those contributions should Yahoo! start lopping off archive
          > space...

          Just a thought generally on this issue...can Steven or someone
          subscribe an address to the list for message archive purposes? I
          know on another list I'm on, we have a really great searchable
          archive because someone did this.

          As for the stuff till now, I have archived posts from one of the
          faithstories by going through the emails on the site and copying and
          pasteing them into wordpad files, creating an archive of txt files
          which can be openned in any word processor. With fm, that would be
          a daunting task, but if several people who can spare a few evenings
          could separate the job out, it might be doable. Then all the files could
          be compiled in one place, on faithmaps.org or something.

          Blessings,
          Jen

          Reason speaks in words alone
          But love has a song
          --- Joseph de Maistre

          Only he who loves can sing.
          --Undeniably, in heaven we shall see,
          we shall love, and we shall praise.
          Our vision will never fail,
          our love will never end,
          and our praise will never fall silent.
          Love sings now;
          then, too, it is love that will sing.
          But now it is a yearning love that sings;
          then it will be an enjoying love.
          --- Augustine
        • Stephen Shields
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2003
            Mike wrote:

            While we're on the subject of blogs, here's a plan. Why don't we take the
            text of his contributions to fm and cross-post them into a blog dedicated
            for that specific purpose?
            That would:
            a) put all his wit and wisdom on one site
            b) protect those contributions should Yahoo! start lopping off archive
            space...

            ss:

            A few days ago I went to all the yahoogroups where jon roamed and copied to
            my hard drive every substantive gold post I could find. So it's all safe.
            And I backup my laptop hard drive every night to my other computer.

            I did - however - *just* read about a guy's power surge which knocked out
            *both* of his hard drives so I need to also commit all my docs to CDs too!

            Stephen Shields
            sshields@...
            http://www.faithmaps.org
            http://faithmaps.blogspot.com
            "navigating theology, leadership, and spiritual formation in postmodernity"

            ---