MODERATOR'S NOTE: Dr. Jonathan Gold

  • Stephen Shields
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 24 1:16 PM
      Hi everyone,

      I hardly know how to post this. I regret to inform you all that our beloved
      jon gold left this world on Friday 25 July 1003. I just received a note
      today to this effect from a former student and was able to confirm this @
      the website of Wheeling Jesuit University where jon sometimes taught.

      http://www.wju.edu/alumni/notes.asp

      Specifically

      "Jonathan Gold, Ph.D., longtime adjunct professor at Wheeling Jesuit
      University and professor of philosophy at West Liberty State College, died
      on July 25, 2003."

      I will probably post more about jon later but I want to just say that I very
      much loved this wonderful, Christ-like, brilliant man. I have nearly 500
      emails saved that jon and I exchanged, most of them privately, since I met
      him around May of 2001. I met him while going through a very difficult time
      and he tremendously served both my mind and my heart. I am so very, very
      sad that this light has extinguished. He had so much more to give - he was
      working on a very large writing project when he left us - and the world is a
      darker place without his clear thinking. jon was working on a book called
      Existential Foundations and another called Logic and the Doctrines of Grace.
      This while teaching at Wheeling, West Liberty and perhaps one other place as
      well. He also was an active pastor in his church. jon was born on 19 April
      1941 so he was only 62.

      As many of you know, some time ago I had indexed some of his best faithmaps
      posts @

      http://www.faithmaps.org/jongold.htm

      and had collected book recommendations and jon's personal comments out of
      our personal correspondences and his faithmaps posts @

      http://www.faithmaps.org/jonbooks.htm

      I am so sad.

      A number of you knew jon. Please feel free to post anything, of course,
      that you wish. Also, would you please email me the name of anyone who isn't
      currently active on fm who should be informed (I'm thinking of Beth Ellen,
      but there may be others).

      blessings to all,

      Stephen Shields
      sshields@...
      http://www.faithmaps.org
      http://faithmaps.blogspot.com
      "navigating theology, leadership, and spiritual formation in postmodernity"

      ---
    • Stephen Shields

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 24 7:18 PM
            Stephen,

            I know this is probably too early to ask this, but would you be able to put
            together a book e-mails from you & Jon? I haven’t had the honor of reading
            any of his posts since I’m a latecomer to fm but was wondering if you could
            do a “summary” of his best posts. I will check out your index through the
            week. I had in mind something similar to McLaren’s “More Ready Than You
            Realize” which recounts an e-mail exchange between a pre-Christian and him.
            If you could do the same with Jon’s posts as an homage to him – and find
            someone to print it, I for one would be interested in the book.

            God bless during this time as well. I can feel your personal sense of loss
            and my heart goes out to you and the other ‘mappers who have lost a
            cherished part of this community.

            rickp

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            click here
            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3760361.5018013.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17061139
            26:HM/A=1712983/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1
            374-105951838331032>

            To modify your delivery settings to individual emails, 1 digest email a day,
            or no email (all emails can be read and responded to at the site below),
            visit

            At this site you can also review archived messages online.

            Want to unsubscribe? Just send a blank note to
            faithmaps-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Todd Olthoff
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 25 8:31 AM
              Stephen,

              This is hard news indeed. Wow! I was hoping he would rejoin the
              discussion and was just buried in his studies and writings. Jon brought
              such a high level of interaction and thinking that really stretched me,
              yet he also had the heart of a pastor. I remember an exchange we had
              once about the book of 1 John (I think it was an exchange with someone
              who had questions about assurance of salvation and he pointed to that
              book, so it may not have been an exchange with me directly...) and based
              on that I did a midweek study verse by verse through the book and it was
              awesome to do that study and really was life changing in many ways for
              me and others. I wouldn't have considered it if it hadn't been for those
              discussions. He was a rare mix of good academic mind with personal
              interest in people and patience to keep talking (or typing I guess)
              until the person understood. And this is huge based on many of the
              discussions we got into as a group.

              My heart is heavy for losing Jon in this world, but happy that he is
              with his Lord. I wonder how far he got in his writing projects? Wonder
              if any of it is in a form that could be made available? It could start
              some good conversation if it was anything like what he presented here.
              If you call his wife, Stephen, you may want to forward some of these
              emails so she can see how Jon touched lives all over the states and the
              world.

              Todd Olthoff

              Minister of Couples Small Groups

              Saddleback Church

              (949) 609-8131 (Office)

              (949) 872-3243 (Cell)

              @
[...]

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3760361.5018013.1261774/D=egrou
              pmail/S=:HM/A=1712983/rand=886981464>

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 25 2:59 PM
                Todd wrote:

                If you call his wife, Stephen, you may want to forward some of these
                emails so she can see how Jon touched lives all over the states and the
                world.

                ss:

                I called and spoke with Christine for a long while last night. I'll be
                posting more later from this conversation, but I will definitely be emailing
                or mailing her everyone's comments appreciating jon.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 2003
                  Rick Presley asked

                  I know this is probably too early to ask this, but would you be able to put
                  together a book e-mails from you & Jon? I haven’t had the honor of reading
                  any of his posts since I’m a latecomer to fm but was wondering if you could
                  do a “summary” of his best posts. I will check out your index through the
                  week. I had in mind something similar to McLaren’s “More Ready Than You
                  Realize” which recounts an e-mail exchange between a pre-Christian and him.
                  If you could do the same with Jon’s posts as an homage to him – and find
                  someone to print it, I for one would be interested in the book.

                  God bless during this time as well. I can feel your personal sense of loss
                  and my heart goes out to you and the other ‘mappers who have lost a
                  cherished part of this community.

                  ss:

                  Rick, at the moment I'm thinking through exactly what I'm going to write or
                  put together or whatever. I'm certain I will do something but I don't know
                  what. All at the moment I know I'm going to do is help Christine get his
                  work 1) retrieved, 2) backed up, 3) organized and categorized in some way
                  and 4) then we'll probably help her explore what is and isn't publishable.
                  jon's passing has made me want to follow more closely some of his
                  thoughtthreads that have intrigued so many of us. I recently noticed he'd
                  reviewed

                  ntroduction to Logic
                  by Henry J. Gensler

                  on Amazon.com

                  see

                  and almost bought that just to study logic in honor of jon (and for its own
                  sake). jon adored logic.

                  I just purchased

                  Dogmatics in Outline by Karl Barth

                  because of jon's comments and interest in Barth

                  also see

                  I had started Torrence's work and need to pick it back up. I've also
                  started a book on Heidegger. Jon's thinking was very influenced by
                  Heidegger, Barth, Torrence and Wittgenstein so it makes me wish to become
                  familiar with his thoughtleaders.

                  One of the things I truly loved ab this great man was how he brought his
                  deep faith in Jesus and formidable knowledge of the Scriptures into
                  philosophical realms and how those realms expanded his Christocentric
                  thought. I thought that was just beautiful.

                  A few of us have also been blessed to have participated in faithstory1 with
                  jon and heard his autobiography. He had shared a more detailed version - in
                  places - with me before fs1 so I'm considering writing up something on his
                  life. There are so many avenues to go. I miss jon so much. But I'm so
                  grateful we were able to get to know him and to learn from him before he
                  left. And I'm also grateful that because of it happening online, we still
                  have his words and thoughts.

                  blessings,