45389Re: [faithmaps] "Open theism"

  • Caroline Wong
    Aug 29, 2006
      Hi Peter;

      When moral beings choose to act, their actions can be judged morally as
      either good or bad. It is not possible for a moral being to do something
      evil and then claim the action is neither good nor bad. However, you're
      right when you say a child (or a new believer) may not know or care about
      that philosophy. I'm too old to be allowed that :) The Holy Spirit would
      knock me on the head with Hebrews 5:14.

      The Hebrew language has far fewer words than English and translators usually
      have several choices whenever they translate a Hebrew word into English.
      Their theology affects their choice and what has been revealed in the New
      Testament regarding God and evil shapes a great deal of that theology. The
      NKJV did not choose the word evil for their translation probably because
      that would say something about God that they believe is false.

      I'm not sure how Psalm 81 has anything to do with things that are
      determined. It's more like a cause and effect lecture. If you are faithful,
      I'll be good to you. If you're not, I'll punish you. I don't see anywhere in
      the Psalm where God says I will make you do bad things and then I'll punish
      you and you can't say boo (because I won't allow that too!). Psalm 81 fits
      well with Open Theism as it seems God is saying we really have a choice
      about obeying and disobeying.

      BTW, ironically OT understands that we have a sin nature, hormones,
      addiction issues, theological beliefs, socio economic constraints,
      fears etc. etc. etc. so our choices are not free free (as in Libertarian
      free) but we're responsible for making as good a choice as we can and we're
      held to that responsibility.

      Blessings,

      Caroline