45386Re: [faithmaps] "Open theism"

  • Caroline Wong
    Aug 29, 2006
      Hi Peter;

      About Amos 3:6
      I keep forgetting you're using KJV. NKJV and other versions use words like
      disaster or calamity instead of evil. Not sure if you'll accept their
      versions but they uphold the concept that God can not do evil. The
      difference between evil and disaster is that evil's raison d'etre is to
      destroy us but God's purpose is to bring us to Him and He will use adverse
      events to bring about that ultimate good. Not sure if that's a minor or
      major quibble but I've been down this road with other KJVers. I've been told
      that a) my version is not the inspired one and b) God hardens sinners so
      that they are more deserving of hell.

      I do believe God is omniscient and omnipotent so there are plans of His that
      will not be derailed. He will bring them to pass. This concept is compatible
      with Open Theism. God's sovereignty or the accuracy of long range prophecies
      are not questioned. God gives those long range prophecies to prove His
      sovereignty and to increase our faith in His sovereignty. But does He have
      to manage everything to the minute or second in other to achieve His
      purpose? Or is He such a master chess player that no matter what we do, His
      will will ultimately prevail?

      Where OT diverges from traditional thinking is the emphasis on how crucial
      pivotal decision points are in an individual's or a community's lifes. What
      if Cain had heeded God's warning to watch out that he is not overcome by
      sin? What if Jehoash actually believed in prophetic actions and struck the
      arrow more that 3 times? What if Moses had not struck the rock?

      If these actions were predetermined, then why should they (and others)
      suffer and be judged for it? That is the question Open Theism seeks to
      answer.

      Blessings,

      Caroline

      P.S. Mea culpa that now on Faithmaps Last Day, I'm not bothering to trim
      down the message I'm replying to a la repeated pleas from our beleaguered
      moderator.