45384Re: [faithmaps] "Open theism"

  • Peter Attwood
    Aug 28, 2006
      >> The whole Bible affirms that God is in charge of everything, prophesying events in detail that come to pass long after and asking in the Proverbs, "Is there evil in a city and the Lord has not done it."
      >>
      >Caroline:
      >Can you give a reference for that as I can't find it in my bible.

      Amos 3:6

      >Also, the prophecies were not in detail or obvious as it was only
      >after the fact that people realized how they fit. Ex. Matthew 2:23
      >said "He will be called a Nazarene" but no where in the OT does it say
      >that specifically and if it was implied, it was probably an
      >implication that he will be dedicated to the Lord, not necessarily
      >that he would be from Nazareth (which he was, anyhow). Or the prophecy
      >in Matthew 2:15 "Out of Egypt, I will call my son" which is a
      >reference to God bringing the Israelites out of Egypt under Moses.
      >This statement in Hosea became messianic prophecy in Matthew. The list
      >is endless including the prophecy that he would be betrayed by a
      >friend. He was eventually betrayed by 2, Peter and Judas, on the night
      >before he was crucified.

      I think it's quite clever of God to have arranged it so that his prophecies are hidden from those that want to use them for insider trading, which even the Securities and Exchange Commission of this world frowns on, while making them clear after the fact. In this way the scripture is fulfilled that the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes, so that doing the word is how we get enlightened by it, not by prying secrets out of the text.

      Among the more impressive examples are Noah's prophecy that God would be the God of Shem and that Japheth would dwell in his tents, and that both would enslave Canaan - all precisely fulfilled many thousands of years later in the conquest of Canaan by Joshua, the destruction and enslavement of Tyre and Carthage by Alexander and Rome respectively, and the call of the Greeks and Romans into Christ through the gospel.

      >Caroline:
      >Or we could just read the passage as it was written.

      This assumes that our reading and perceiving faculty is somehow pure and reliable. At least in others, this evidently can't be assumed, and I've concluded that the rule holds true for me as well. Reading the passage as it's written is the gift of God as he delivers us from self-deception, whose only evidence is frequently that others confront us with questions for which we have no good answers.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic