RE: [fairvote_az] This is Australia, not America - You can't waste your vote

  • Joe Cobb
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2013
      This comic was well done.  I particularly liked the way the 2nd and 3rd Round distributions were illustrated.

      Can some of these be available when I give my presentation Sept.24 ?

      __________________________
      Thanks, Joe Cobb
      Glendale, Arizona
      www.JoeCobb.com

      To: fairvote_az@yahoogroups.com
      From: drbarbaraklein@...
      Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 02:51:43 +0000
      Subject: [fairvote_az] This is Australia, not America - You can't waste your vote

      image001.jpg@01CE9EA7.09620970

      image003.png@01CE9EA6.3FF19600

      Follow link for amusing explanation of Australia’s RCV system – a bit different than what is proposed in America.  AND don’t blame me for the crudeness or the fact that one of the ‘Bastard’ parties won.    Barbara Klein

      An Amusing Comic That Explains Australia’s
      Ranked Voting System
      by Joey deVilla on August 19, 2013 –

      http://www.joeydevilla.com/2013/08/19/an-amusing-comic-that-explains-australias-ranked-voting-system/

      Barbara Klein,

      FairVote AZ, chair

      image004.png@01CE9EA6.3FF19600

    • Bill Barker
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22, 2013
        Barbara, this is a really good illustration of how ranked choice works. I think that even recent high school graduates would understand the system. I agree that it is a bit crude, but that is about the only thing that gets attention anymore.

        Bill Barker

        To: fairvote_az@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 23, 2013
          Thanks!  Very good.
          However, pro-rep would be better for that lower house,
          as Australia does for its upper house (Senate).

          Other, more minor, points:
          None of the characters seemed to be women.
          Ranked voting for a single seat does not completely cure the wasted-vote syndrome,
          but mostly it does.