RCV bill in AZ

  • Barbara Klein
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2013

      Two Important things

      1. One – please be aware that you can keep up to date on general RCV issues by following FairVote at Twitter.  Good information.   Twitter.com/FairVote.
      2. Two.  Please see the letter below which I sent to two AZ Representatives regarding an RCV bill which can be read here.  While I wrote it wearing another hat, I do mention FairVote AZ.   If you know ANY Republicans who would support this RCV bill please reach out to them.  You could forward the letter, make a phone call or give them other information.   The letter below will also provide some other information (especially regarding machines and software).

      Barbara Klein
      Chairman, FairVote AZ

      January 21, 2013

      Representatives Juan Mendez and Lela Alston,

      I was extremely pleased to see that you have introduced the Ranked Choice Voting bill [HB2367].  The League of Women Voters has supported this for a decade and we drafted language of a bill almost identical to your own, introduced several times before.

      As this is one of my personal interests, I realize what a complex bill it is.  I am also with a group called FairVote AZ, a multi-partisan group whose prime purpose is to promote RCV.  We have a great deal of information as well as online graphs and videos on this issue.   Reading the text of the bill I remember why people find it so confusing, which is why we stopped concentrating only on the mechanics of it and instead try to promote all the many advantages.   After all, the mechanics for the voters are really only 1-2-3.

      I am distressed that there has NEVER been any bi-partisan (not to mention multi-partisan) support for the RCV bill.  While you are both Democrats, I tell people that it truly does not favor any one party.  It has something for everyone, and levels the playing field.   It would be great to find a sponsor outside the Democratic Party as well.

      Perhaps some Republicans might be at least open to wanting to have RCV as an option, given that Arizona has an early presidential primary and a winner take all rule - bringing with it many spoilers.  Some Republicans have used RCV in their state primaries.   And at the very least, overseas and military voters in those presidential primaries should be able to use an RCV ballot instead of the non-secured current solutions offered to the overseas AZ voter.   Please see a piece from Roll Call regarding this issue.  http://www.rollcall.com/issues/57_102/rob-richie-paul-gronke-ranked-choice-ballot-upholds-voter-rights-212751-1.html

      I admit that we have never had much adoption success (including the initiative we ran in Glendale 45% to 55%).  MUCH of the reason is because of the machinery and related software.  More problematic is that every county is different.   However, while the county elections officers are somewhat aware of the interest in RCV out there, there never seems to be an interest in negotiating a good price (inclusive price) with our vendors when contracts come up for renewal.  I would like to request that if this bill goes nowhere that you might still continue to speak out about the issue of these machines, which suppresses our march toward greater representation for more people.

      If the counties negotiate their contracts with the vendors for RCV service (when the contracts are being renewed) there is a greater chance that we will pay much less for it.  The vendors have the RCV ability but have charged enormous (and unreasonable) rates to some locales in the country.  We don’t need to do this.  It is my understand that (due to Minneapolis’ use of RCV), vendor, ES&S says it is ready to upgrade machines FOR FREE to use RCV -- while Dominion says its RCV-ready system will be certified by the summer. We'll have to see, but this is good time to get this conversation going with our elections departments and procurers of the vendor services. [I believe that Maricopa County contracts with Sequoia.]

      Additionally, it is possible to have an ‘add on’ vendor who can both make an image of every ballot (for easier audits and verification by ANYONE) and offer RCV counting service.  You might verify whether our laws allow the use of such Add-On vendors.  If you are unaware of it, the cost to private vendors to have their systems federally certified is outrageously high, basically eliminating much of the competition.  Additionally, their certification process has more to do with hardware than the security of software.  However, some of the add-on systems can be used WITH the certified vendors.

      I hope you will maintain your interest in RCV and help promote this desperately needed improvement to our voting system.

      Sincerely,

      Barbara Klein
      President, LWV Arizona
      (and)
      Chairman, FairVote AZ

    • Joe Cobb
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 21, 2013
        That is a great letter, Barbara.  I particularly liked the link to the text of the bill, which I read all the way to the math details.

        __________________________
        Joe Cobb
        Glendale, Arizona
        www.JoeCobb.com

        To: fairvote_az@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 21, 2013

          If one looks at the math for the meaning of ‘majority’ it would also look daunting – and yet we are all easy with our shortcut of 50% plus 1.   In other words, it just seems difficult; it is really just putting life into numbers.

          Barbara

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 22, 2013
            WOW, reading the bill's description of RCV was not fun!  Barbara, are you suggesting that they re-write that part of the bill?  My brain cramped up and I quit reading because of the explanations.  I am probably not patient enough to plow through the whole thing.  I'm pretty tired tonight.  Will try finishing reading the  bill another day.

            Your letter to the two representatives was fabulous.  It couldn't have been better.

            Haryaksha has met several Republicans in the legislature.  Do you know any who might be open to this bill?  (I will carbon copy him on this letter incase he is not on the FairVoteAZyahoogroup.)

            Linda

            To: fairvote_az@yahoogroups.com