New Year Presentation

  • Vinko Vrsalovic
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2004
      Hi.

      I'm Vinko, a MSc student of computer science at Pontificia Universidad
      Catolica de Chile. I'm doing research on search methods for software
      patterns. During my research I stumbled upon faceted classifications,
      and now I'm trying to develop a faceted classification of software
      patterns and then implement it in a web application 'a la' FacetMap with
      some extra functionalities, such as a web service for interchanging
      pattern data in XFML, and some extensions to strict faceted
      classifications that make sense for the pattern domain.

      The current state of the project is at http://patterns.ing.puc.cl It's
      not quite a faceted classification right now, and I'm in process of
      redoing all of it, starting with the classification. Right now I'm in
      process of constructing the vocabulary from a set of about 50 documents,
      which contain about 200 patterns.

      I read in some paper not long ago that there were some formal methods
      to define the classifications, not just informal ('experience-based')
      ones, but the author did not provide any detail about it. Anybody knows
      where can I find references or explanations about these formal methods?

      Thanks,
      --
      Vinko Vrsalovic <el[|-@-|]vinko.cl>
      http://www.cprsig.cl