Re: [faceblind] Re: The Neanderthal Link

  • Arielle Finberg
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2006
      --- Leif Ekblad <leif@...> wrote:

      > joni pinkney:
      > > The Neanderthal article is under its own link on
      > the
      > > home page with the face blind test. At the
      > beginning
      > > of the article is a beautiful portrait of a
      > reconstructed Neanderthal
      > > girl.
      >
      > I'm amazed that everybody that seems to like the
      > reconstruction
      > think it is a girl. :-)
      >
      > BTW, how old do you think she is?

      I was luke warm on the reconstruction, myself,
      although I think the sculpting is very good quality.
      :-)

      But I thought she was a girl too. I think it is
      because there is something about her that looks like
      girls and women I've met before -- and I do not mean
      the hair only. But I can't put my finger on why.

      I think she is about fourteen years old.

      Kind regards,

      Arielle

      Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business
      (http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com)
    • joni pinkney
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
        If she were a modern human I'd say around 12 years old. But since Neanderthals matured a lot more slowly than modern humans I'd say she's in her late 20's. -- Joni

        Re:
        --- Leif Ekblad <leif@...> wrote:

        > joni pinkney:
        > > The Neanderthal article is under its own link on
        > the
        > > home page with the face blind test. At the
        > beginning
        > > of the article is a beautiful portrait of a
        > reconstructed Neanderthal
        > > girl.
        >
        > I'm amazed that everybody that seems to like the
        > reconstruction
        > think it is a girl. :-)
        >
        > BTW, how old do you think she is?

        PASS IT ON!

        Visit http://www.thehungersite.com to give food to the hungry with just
        a click -- every day and at no cost to you.

        HOW IT WORKS

        When you click the "Give Free Food" button (once a day per person) at
        http://www.thehungersite.com, this simple action gives over a cup of
        fortified food to a hungry person.

        It costs you nothing. Funding is paid by site sponsors and food is
        distributed by two leading nonprofit hunger relief organizations: Mercy
        Corps and America's Second Harvest. (A valid site -- I checked it out -- JP)

        As Margaret Mead said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world: Indeed it's the only thing that ever has."

      • littlecatgray
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
          looks like a boy to me :)

          laurie

          --- In faceblind@yahoogroups.com, "Leif Ekblad" <leif@...> wrote:

          > joni pinkney:
          > > The Neanderthal article is under its own link on the
          > > home page with the face blind test. At the beginning
          > > of the article is a beautiful portrait of a reconstructed Neanderthal
          > > girl.
          >
          > I'm amazed that everybody that seems to like the reconstruction
          > think it is a girl. :-)
          >
          > BTW, how old do you think she is?
          >
          > > I think I could recognise that face!
          >
          > Me too. A while back I proposed that the Neanderthal
          > theory's view of prosapagnosia could be tested but
          > AFAIK, nobody have tested it yet. I might do some
          > kind of test on this in the next Aspie-quiz. I've got
          > an idea ;-)
          >
          > Leif

        • Delila
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
              >>If she were a modern human I'd say around 12 years old. But since
              Neanderthals matured a lot more slowly than modern humans I'd say she's in her late
              20's.  -- Joni -- They matured slower? How do you know? -- D. Watertiger<<

              Yes, how do you know? Skeletons don't have annual growth rings. You can guess
              Homo sapiens ages fairly accurately up into the twenties, but you couldn't
              assume these criteria work for H. neanderthalensis, I suppose. - Examinations of
              English skeletal material from documented burials in the Middle Ages
              supposedly suggest a much later age of puberty, somewhere in the twenties, but I don't
              think many Neanderthals had tombstones with dates on them.

              Bob Richmond
              Knoxville TN

            • Leif Ekblad
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
                Joni:
                > If she were a modern human I'd say around 12 years old. But since
                > Neanderthals matured a lot more slowly than modern humans I'd say she's in
                > her late 20's. -- Joni

                Paleoanthro have dated her to 3-4 years! Everybody I've asked this
                about think she is around 12-13, which shows that their tooth dating
                methods are not reliable.

                Leif