Eyes Wide Shut
- I recently saw Eyes Wide Shut and I thought it
was a great movie, partly because the trailer is so
mysterious and you don't really know what the film was going
to be about. This may seem dumb, but from the
"house" scene till the end i was really scared.
- Hallo, wer ist noch aus Deutschland und findet "Eyes ..." genauso klasse wie ich? Mail mir doch mal! W�rde mich gern ausf�hrlicher mit Dir unterhalten.
- Hi all I'm brand new to the forum anyway, a
friend just told me about the Internet Movie Awards and
I thought you would all like to know Eyes Wide Shut
is nominated for a bunch of them. Since this was
such a great film I really want it to win, we can vote
as many times as we want until March 17 the url is:
<a href=http://roughcut.ima.em.reset.com. target=new>http://roughcut.ima.em.reset.com.</a>
- Hi, I'm a Stanley Kubrick fan who loved Clockwork
Orange. Since I'm in Japan, I haven't seen Eyes Wide Shut
yet. I could go to the theater, but HATE seeing films
with Japanese subtitles, so I'm waiting till I can
rent it. Anyone who has seen the film, are there any
similarities in themes, cinematography, or other connections
you can see between the two films?
- Is there anyone outside of the United States that
can get a copy of the uncut film on VHS? I am willing
to pay for the film and shipping. I am a long time
Kubrick fan and I was very disturbed that his work had to
be altered for my eyes since I live in this
ultra-conservative society. I have been angry ever since the release
of the film, knowing that I have not truly even seen
- i can do the DVD for gbp 30.oo post paid, will check on vhs (pal version in the UK) if you want.... paulanat@...
- Well that s funny, because I am found of Anais
Nin and EWS as well.<br><br>I saw EWS jsut two days
ago for the second time abd was very amazed by the
use for the lightning of the two colours BLUE and
PINK. Blue for boy? Pink fpr Girl?<br><br>This movie is
very complex and mysterious. The way the camera moves
in the flats ad the party at the beginning as well
make me think about Shninig.<br><br>What did u like in
- Hello all! A big Kubrick fan here to talk about a
fascinating and powerful movie...<br><br>"Don't you want to
go where the rainbow
ends?"<br><br>-------------------------------------------<br>Not Your Grandfather's Erotic
Thriller<br><br>(SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS)<br><br>In my review of "Phantom Menace" I wrote that
perhaps a director is allowed only one cultural icon per
lifetime. I had forgotten Stanley Kubrick. He produced them
in spades.<br><br>Actually, to call "Eyes Wide Shut"
an erotic thriller is to miss the point. True, sex
and sexuality dominate its themes and it's structured
like a thriller, but Kubrick's final film is far more.
On the one hand it's pure Kubrick, replete with
mind-shattering images. It also continues Kubrick's fascination
with journeys. From the journey to destruction in "Dr.
Strangelove" to journeys through social madness in "Clockwork
Orange" and the nature of reality in "The Shining," and
culminating in humanity's search for enlightenment in "2001,"
Kubrick's work has been concerned with such journeys. This
time, a New York society doctor ventures into a
socially constructed reality that few of us have seen or
will admit.<br><br>Then again, "Eyes Wide Shut" is one
of those wonderful films that's more interesting for
what it doesn't say than for what it
says.<br><br>Through a bizarre series of coincidences, Dr. Bill
Harford (Tom Cruise) discovers a hazy, ill-defined sexual
underworld, one which may include murder. He meets a series
of sleazy characters, most of whom seem to be
involved with whatever it is. Sinister plot points and
themes lurk just off camera but are not seen. This is
Kubrick's genius: the ability to draw us into the mystery
even as he tells us there is no solution.<br><br>The
much-hyped cult orgy scene occupies perhaps 15 minutes of
screen time. Kubrick's imagery is stunning and
Fellini-esque. But again, what is interesting is what is not
said. What do the strange rituals mean? Is it a
religious cult? A secret society? Or just a sex club, by
and for the very bored very rich? We aren't told. Can
we believe the version he gets from a friend-member?
The mask Harford wore--and later hid--appears beside
his sleeping wife. Did she find it, or was it placed
there? Does she know more than she says? Again, no
information. Always there is the tantalizing hint of an answer
just out of his (and our) reach. Though only a minute
was cut out, Kubrick often leaves small markers in
odd places within his films. One would wish that the
version seen in more grown-up nations were available,
rather than the eviscerated print allowed in the
States.<br><br>Following this scene, the film's direction changes
completely. The score becomes atmospheric and menacing;
reality becomes distorted. As he struggles to learn the
truth, Harford is told by one friend that he is "out of
his depth." Indeed. He is found out because though he
is part of the upper class, those he pursues turn
out to be the unbelievably rich and powerful. Their
reality is not his. Kubrick is telling us that
ultimately, our social world builds our
reality.<br><br>Perhaps this is the theme of "Eyes Wide Shut"--that there
exist social realities that are as unknowable to us as
the incomprehensible events witnessed by Dr. Harford.
As others have pointed out, his journey is much like
the one that unfolds in Scorsese's "After Hours"--we
are never really told the whole story but we (and the
characters) are left with the distinct feeling that Something
Is Going On. "After Hours" can be hard to find, but
try to see them both. Better yet, rent them the same
- did tom cruise ever get nude in the movie , if he didn't he is a BIG chicken !! I think !!<br><br>WEMAN always get nude but MEN are to big of CHICKENS ! <br><br>SO did he get nude?<br><br>freddie
- Who is Ana�s Nin? I have a cd by Snooze
(<a href=http://www.crammed.be/ target=new>http://www.crammed.be/</a> or <a href=http://zap.to/snooze/ target=new>http://zap.to/snooze/</a>) and he has a song
called Ana�s Nin's Plot. <br><br>I really liked Eyes
Wide Shut. I need to see it again though because I
always fall asleep during the movie� this happened the
first few times I saw 2001, also. I agree with the
person who said the movie is scary- I was tensed up
during the whole thing. He shot it with low light and
this contributes to the nightmarish feeling, I think.
<br><br>- Jon <br><a href=http://jon144k.surf.to/ target=new>http://jon144k.surf.to/</a> <- my art
- hi, kubrick fans!<br>a friend of mine realizes a
work concerning the transmission of litterature (the
book by Arthur Schnitzler) on screen, the kubrick
film. if anyone can help her to find ideas for the
work, send me a message!<br>thank you, bisou, nics
- I thought the lack of male nudity in Eyes Wide Shut was too prominent, and I�m a heterosexual male myself! Besides that, it�s a film to dissect to the limits of eternity, if there are any.
- Hey all...<br>I'm lookin' for the interview of
NICOLE,TOM and STEVEN SPIELBERG regarding eyes wide shut...
doea any one have a link for it on the
Internet...<br><br>I'm also willing to pay for the original and
unsensored version which also has the interviews of EYES
WIDE SHUT on DVD...<br>Any good deals ?
- I know the secret of the party and the meaning of the title. Anyone who wants to know or see if you have the same idea should write me.
- The secret is that everyone at the party had HIV!!<br>Therefore they all went in with eyes wide OPEN<br>Tom Cruise had eyes wide shut and they wouldn't let him party with them.
- I'm not sure if you still need help on this, but you can log on to script-o-rama.com and look up the "Eyes Wide Shut" script. I don't know the password off the top of my head.