Eyes Wide Shut

  • dr_bill_harford
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1, 1999
      Welcome, This is the Yahoo! Message Board for Eyes Wide Shut community.
    • tankgirl7777
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 29, 1999
        I recently saw Eyes Wide Shut and I thought it
        was a great movie, partly because the trailer is so
        mysterious and you don't really know what the film was going
        to be about. This may seem dumb, but from the
        "house" scene till the end i was really scared.
      • doritprater
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 23, 1999
          Hallo, wer ist noch aus Deutschland und findet "Eyes ..." genauso klasse wie ich? Mail mir doch mal! W�rde mich gern ausf�hrlicher mit Dir unterhalten.
        • tamscott317
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 9 9:32 AM
            Hi all I'm brand new to the forum anyway, a
            friend just told me about the Internet Movie Awards and
            I thought you would all like to know Eyes Wide Shut
            is nominated for a bunch of them. Since this was
            such a great film I really want it to win, we can vote
            as many times as we want until March 17 the url is:
          • roganosets
            Message 5 of 24 , May 21, 2000
              Hi, I'm a Stanley Kubrick fan who loved Clockwork
              Orange. Since I'm in Japan, I haven't seen Eyes Wide Shut
              yet. I could go to the theater, but HATE seeing films
              with Japanese subtitles, so I'm waiting till I can
              rent it. Anyone who has seen the film, are there any
              similarities in themes, cinematography, or other connections
              you can see between the two films?
            • downstream_1999
              Message 6 of 24 , May 30, 2000
                Is there anyone outside of the United States that
                can get a copy of the uncut film on VHS? I am willing
                to pay for the film and shipping. I am a long time
                Kubrick fan and I was very disturbed that his work had to
                be altered for my eyes since I live in this
                ultra-conservative society. I have been angry ever since the release
                of the film, knowing that I have not truly even seen
                it.
              • paulanat_2000
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 14, 2000
                  i can do the DVD for gbp 30.oo post paid, will check on vhs (pal version in the UK) if you want.... paulanat@...
                • paulanat_2000
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 14, 2000
                    PROPER EMAIL ADDRESS IS PAULANAT @ EXCITE.COM<br><br>'C' IN EXCITE!
                  • anaisnin_dk
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 24, 2000
                      Hey! i`m looking for other people who loves eyes wide shut(of course)..and Anais nin...
                    • solal9
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 31, 2000
                        Well that s funny, because I am found of Anais
                        Nin and EWS as well.<br><br>I saw EWS jsut two days
                        ago for the second time abd was very amazed by the
                        use for the lightning of the two colours BLUE and
                        PINK. Blue for boy? Pink fpr Girl?<br><br>This movie is
                        very complex and mysterious. The way the camera moves
                        in the flats ad the party at the beginning as well
                        make me think about Shninig.<br><br>What did u like in
                        this movie?
                      • nospam11
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 16, 2000
                          Hello all! A big Kubrick fan here to talk about a
                          fascinating and powerful movie...<br><br>"Don't you want to
                          go where the rainbow
                          perhaps a director is allowed only one cultural icon per
                          lifetime. I had forgotten Stanley Kubrick. He produced them
                          in spades.<br><br>Actually, to call "Eyes Wide Shut"
                          an erotic thriller is to miss the point. True, sex
                          and sexuality dominate its themes and it's structured
                          like a thriller, but Kubrick's final film is far more.
                          On the one hand it's pure Kubrick, replete with
                          mind-shattering images. It also continues Kubrick's fascination
                          with journeys. From the journey to destruction in "Dr.
                          Strangelove" to journeys through social madness in "Clockwork
                          Orange" and the nature of reality in "The Shining," and
                          culminating in humanity's search for enlightenment in "2001,"
                          Kubrick's work has been concerned with such journeys. This
                          time, a New York society doctor ventures into a
                          socially constructed reality that few of us have seen or
                          will admit.<br><br>Then again, "Eyes Wide Shut" is one
                          of those wonderful films that's more interesting for
                          what it doesn't say than for what it
                          says.<br><br>Through a bizarre series of coincidences, Dr. Bill
                          Harford (Tom Cruise) discovers a hazy, ill-defined sexual
                          underworld, one which may include murder. He meets a series
                          of sleazy characters, most of whom seem to be
                          involved with whatever it is. Sinister plot points and
                          themes lurk just off camera but are not seen. This is
                          Kubrick's genius: the ability to draw us into the mystery
                          even as he tells us there is no solution.<br><br>The
                          much-hyped cult orgy scene occupies perhaps 15 minutes of
                          screen time. Kubrick's imagery is stunning and
                          Fellini-esque. But again, what is interesting is what is not
                          said. What do the strange rituals mean? Is it a
                          religious cult? A secret society? Or just a sex club, by
                          and for the very bored very rich? We aren't told. Can
                          we believe the version he gets from a friend-member?
                          The mask Harford wore--and later hid--appears beside
                          his sleeping wife. Did she find it, or was it placed
                          there? Does she know more than she says? Again, no
                          information. Always there is the tantalizing hint of an answer
                          just out of his (and our) reach. Though only a minute
                          was cut out, Kubrick often leaves small markers in
                          odd places within his films. One would wish that the
                          version seen in more grown-up nations were available,
                          rather than the eviscerated print allowed in the
                          States.<br><br>Following this scene, the film's direction changes
                          completely. The score becomes atmospheric and menacing;
                          reality becomes distorted. As he struggles to learn the
                          truth, Harford is told by one friend that he is "out of
                          his depth." Indeed. He is found out because though he
                          is part of the upper class, those he pursues turn
                          out to be the unbelievably rich and powerful. Their
                          reality is not his. Kubrick is telling us that
                          ultimately, our social world builds our
                          reality.<br><br>Perhaps this is the theme of "Eyes Wide Shut"--that there
                          exist social realities that are as unknowable to us as
                          the incomprehensible events witnessed by Dr. Harford.
                          As others have pointed out, his journey is much like
                          the one that unfolds in Scorsese's "After Hours"--we
                          are never really told the whole story but we (and the
                          characters) are left with the distinct feeling that Something
                          Is Going On. "After Hours" can be hard to find, but
                          try to see them both. Better yet, rent them the same
                          night.
                        • freddie01965
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 2, 2001
                          • jwsingle
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 5, 2001
                              Who is Ana�s Nin? I have a cd by Snooze
                              called Ana�s Nin's Plot. <br><br>I really liked Eyes
                              Wide Shut. I need to see it again though because I
                              always fall asleep during the movie� this happened the
                              first few times I saw 2001, also. I agree with the
                              person who said the movie is scary- I was tensed up
                              during the whole thing. He shot it with low light and
                              this contributes to the nightmarish feeling, I think.
                            • nicidali2
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 22, 2001
                                hi, kubrick fans!<br>a friend of mine realizes a
                                work concerning the transmission of litterature (the
                                book by Arthur Schnitzler) on screen, the kubrick
                                film. if anyone can help her to find ideas for the
                                work, send me a message!<br>thank you, bisou, nics
                              • Dr_KuBRicK
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 6 2:09 AM
                                  I thought the lack of male nudity in Eyes Wide Shut was too prominent, and I�m a heterosexual male myself! Besides that, it�s a film to dissect to the limits of eternity, if there are any.
                                • shazdeh69
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 14, 2001
                                    Hey all...<br>I'm lookin' for the interview of
                                    NICOLE,TOM and STEVEN SPIELBERG regarding eyes wide shut...
                                    doea any one have a link for it on the
                                    Internet...<br><br>I'm also willing to pay for the original and
                                    unsensored version which also has the interviews of EYES
                                    WIDE SHUT on DVD...<br>Any good deals ?
                                  • mcgowanfan
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 1, 2001
                                      try eBay............(worked for me!)
                                    • princessjedi21
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 2, 2001
                                        Hi, I'm new here... does anyone know a site for Eyes Wide Shut fan fiction? Looking forward to meeting you all!<br><br>--Lisa
                                      • eksaeks
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 22, 2001
                                          I know the secret of the party and the meaning of the title. Anyone who wants to know or see if you have the same idea should write me.
                                        • shazdeh69
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 18, 2001
                                            TELL ME
                                          • eksaeks
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 18, 2001
                                              The secret is that everyone at the party had HIV!!<br>Therefore they all went in with eyes wide OPEN<br>Tom Cruise had eyes wide shut and they wouldn't let him party with them.
                                            • candiapple84
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jul 26, 2001
                                                Can someone tell me the password that Tom Cruise used? I need it for a scavenger hunt! thanks!
                                              • itzy_bitzy_firecracker
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 5, 2001
                                                  I'm not sure if you still need help on this, but you can log on to script-o-rama.com and look up the "Eyes Wide Shut" script. I don't know the password off the top of my head.
                                                • mesistopholes
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Sep 4, 2001
                                                    <EOM>