Re: [ophthal.com group message] Spectacle Intolerance: What would you do?

  • Dr Madhu Kanukollu
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2010
      Dear Dr Rahul,
      Perfect approach...I would do the same. You rightly said it...most of the times the problem can be solved by patiently listening to the patient and by giving him confidence by implying that we are on his side rather than being against him.
      Regards

      Dr K.V.MadhuSudhanaRao
             M.S,FIAS(Aravind),FRCS(Glasgow),FICO(UK)

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28, 2010
        Dear friends,
          A very interesting story indeed!

        The doctor could be held responsible for the correctness of the spectacle prescription. The rest of  the problem should be with the optician and the patient himself. Many first time wearers of spectacles find it difficult to tolerate glasses. This usually subsides with time. Some cannot tolerate glasses of any kind...!! This is often beyond any reasonable scientific explanation.

        There are a lot of people who believe that a very costly frame is the cure for all refractive errors!!
        They are hell bent on spending a fortune on the spectacles.

        I know of a person  who had been wearing a spectacle with simple plano lens (zero power and no other related extra features) for the past 20 years or more. He claims that he starts getting a severe headache if he doesn't wear it.

        How do you explain that?

        Regards,
        Dr. John.B.

        did u find out d cause for his spectacle intolerance? if such a patient comes to me I try to find cause for d discomfort... I usually re refract d patient (no not tht I doubt my first finding but such patients get more irritated if we refuse to believe tht even we can make mistakes)... Thn I say number is same so I check glasses for number and most importantly centration (importance of which was told by dr subhash gokhale sir)... If all is normal thn I check prescribed no in trial frame to which usually pt agrees tht he sees better... Thn I load his glasses... At time d position of glasses on his nose may b cause of discomfort... At times pt wears glasses low down on d nose bridge which can b one cause... thn at this juncture usually 99 % pt are convinced tht prescription given is right but problem exists with glasses, either method of wearing or centration problem... If at all pt persists with demand tht u give back money thn we have to deal as per d
        case... At very rare times it can b good to take his frame n give back his money cos d time energy spent on such morons n our peace of mind is much more worth tht money....

        Regards
        Rahul

        On Sun Nov 28th, 2010 7:25 AM IST neerajsanduja@... wrote:

        >Hi. One way to safeguard is to mention on our glass prescription that Prescription to be checked by trial of glasses at optical shop .
        >Neeraj Sanduja
        >Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

      • SUNIL KUMAR
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
          Dear Doctor,
          There is only one solution to this "start your own optical shop"
          DR SUNIL ,MS,FRCS

          To: eyesurgeons@yahoogroups.com